October 6, 201511 yr Author That info wasn't explicitly in the article either was it? It was not. Found it in another article.
October 6, 201511 yr Hold up. In doing some more googling I found that the folks who need an ID will still be able to go somewhere in their county to get it. So, I get that the optics may be troubling but the article did fail to mention that key point. Not seeing a big issue with this recent change then. The original law in 2013 on the other hand does seem like it might fit the narrative.
October 6, 201511 yr By Voter ID what are we talking about? A Drivers license and State issued ID like we have in Kentucky or is this something completely separate?
October 6, 201511 yr Since the article didn't provide the percentages of the non-Obama counties I was a little curious. There are 67 counties in Alabama and 31 counties had offices closed. Also 15 voted for Obama and 52 didn't. 8 of 15 counties who voted for Obama were closed - 53.3% 23 of 52 counties who didn't vote for Obama were closed - 44.2% All-in-all Alabama closed 46.3% of their offices. I wish the article would have included more comparisons like this. I agree, nice work.
October 6, 201511 yr By Voter ID what are we talking about? A Drivers license and State issued ID like we have in Kentucky or is this something completely separate? Or water bill with your name and address on it? Yes that is legally an acceptable form of ID in KY. Way stupid in my opinion, but if they give you a correct name and address and show a water bill/electric bill etc. as ID we have to accept it. Never happened to me yet, but there a first time for everything.
October 6, 201511 yr Or water bill with your name and address on it? Yes that is legally an acceptable form of ID in KY. Way stupid in my opinion, but if they give you a correct name and address and show a water bill/electric bill etc. as ID we have to accept it. Never happened to me yet, but there a first time for everything. I'm asking about this "New" ID that is required in Alabama. Does a drivers license or state ID work in Alabama, or is it a "New" ID that is required.
October 6, 201511 yr I'm asking about this "New" ID that is required in Alabama. Does a drivers license or state ID work in Alabama, or is it a "New" ID that is required. Acceptable Forms of ID Voters Without ID Alabama §17-9-30 -Valid Alabama driver's license or non-driver ID card -Valid photo voter ID card or other valid ID card issued by any state or the federal government , as long as it contains a photo -Valid U.S. passport -Valid government employee ID card with a photo -Valid student or employee ID card issued by a college or university in the state, provided it includes a photo -Valid U.S. military ID card containing a photo -Valid tribal ID card containing a photo Vote a provisional ballot or vote a regular ballot if s/he is identified by two election officials as an eligible voter on the poll list, and both election workers sign a sworn affidavit so stating. If voting a provisional ballot, the voter has until 5:00PM on the Friday after the election to bring the required ID Voter Identification Requirements | Voter ID Laws
October 6, 201511 yr I don't care who it " makes it difficult " for . Get an ID . You want to vote ? Get an ID .
October 6, 201511 yr I wonder what percentage of the country's population wish that blacks couldn't vote period? I'm betting its higher than what you might think?
October 6, 201511 yr No big deal if the counties are able to provide another place to get the ID and they are. The article is attempting to make a mountain out of a molehill.
October 6, 201511 yr How does this work out "population-wise" as opposed to "county-wise"? This. Plus, the figures have to take into account the existing demographic profile in order to see if there is a disparate impact. Wikipedia says that Alabama is roughly 72 percent white, 26.5 percent black, rest is other. So, even if the closures affected the exact same number of black/white, there would still be a disparate impact in that the effect should be 75/25. Beyond that, making it harder to vote is bad...period. p.s. reminds me a daily show report where some local republican admitted that the laws his county or whatever were proposing were an effort to disenfranchise others.
October 7, 201511 yr Every time this comes up that someplace is going to require an ID to vote I have a couple of thoughts. 1. I have to show an ID every time I vote...I'm shocked some places don't 2. Who are all of these people without ID's? Yes I realize there are some people legitimately without ID's, but that is a very small number...as for the rest do they never cash checks, check into a hotel, rent a car, write a check, sign up for utilities or cable, rent a video (OK that ones almost dead), get a cell phone on contract, sign up for social security, buy a gun, drive a car, buy beer or cigarettes if you look young, buy Sudaphed, pick up certain prescriptions, receive money from Money Gram. I can go on and on with reasons we all need and use ID's daily...I just don't see how people go along day to day without an ID. If they can get a legal ID to do all of that, then they have an ID that can allow them to vote.
October 7, 201511 yr Nah, there's nothing to see here. Alabama has a long history of treating blacks fairly. Of course they wouldn't think of disenfranchising blacks in Alabama. That's the LAST place anything like that would happen. Come on now fellas.
October 7, 201511 yr Nah' date=' there's nothing to see here. Alabama has a long history of treating blacks fairly. Of course they wouldn't think of disenfranchising blacks in Alabama. That's the LAST place anything like that would happen. Come on now fellas.[/quote'] Based on what everyone is posting, out actually looks like there's nothing to this to me...
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.