Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Companies Fire People For Facebook Comments

Featured Replies

In most places, you can be fired for good reason, bad reason or no reason at all.

  • Replies 40
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Relevant here:

 

So Youve Been Publicly Shamed: Jon Ronson

 

It's a good read and cautions against the mob justice approach.

 

With that said I don't have much sympathy for these folks, but I also don't know if tracking people down and finding their workplaces is the best way to handle these things.

 

It's not really tracking them down if they put it all online is it?

I bet those guys couldn't have been fired if they were union.

 

Where do you draw the line?

 

Can I fire employees if they continually spout off on Facebook about the President and I disagree?

Can I fire employees if they have a confederate flag as their profile picture?

Can I fire employees if they are telling everyone to get saved or they are going to heck on their Facebook page?

Can I fire employees if they call me (their boss) names on Social Media?

Can I fire an employee if a customer comes in and says they yelled obscenities at a ref during the football game last Friday and they have it on video?

Can I fire an employee for repeating a really bad Eddie Murphy joke on line?

Can I fire an employee for dressing as Hitler, Osama Bin Laden or a Klansman for Halloween...then go to a party and their photo ends up on social media?

 

I am not a Human Resource person, but I believe you bring up valid situations with these examples. I am not sure you could in some places, especially those with unions, as you said. There may be case where you could, but if I proclaimed I am an atheist and worked at IBM, Why would they? I don't think you would win. You may get rid of me, but it might be very very costly.

I bet those guys couldn't have been fired if they were union.

 

Where do you draw the line?

 

Can I fire employees if they continually spout off on Facebook about the President and I disagree?

Can I fire employees if they have a confederate flag as their profile picture?

Can I fire employees if they are telling everyone to get saved or they are going to heck on their Facebook page?

Can I fire employees if they call me (their boss) names on Social Media?

Can I fire an employee if a customer comes in and says they yelled obscenities at a ref during the football game last Friday and they have it on video?

Can I fire an employee for repeating a really bad Eddie Murphy joke on line?

Can I fire an employee for dressing as Hitler, Osama Bin Laden or a Klansman for Halloween...then go to a party and their photo ends up on social media?

 

False. We have had employees fired and disciplined over comments on Myspace and Facebook.

False. We have had employees fired and disciplined over comments on Myspace and Facebook.

 

I assume those were directly related to or about the company?

 

Had a seminar a few weeks ago that spoke about this very thing, examples (real life cases) of what is protected and what isn't.

I think people often get confused when we talk about being able to fire someone. In most cases, non protected classes can be fired without reason. That means the company would win a lawsuit brought against it for unlawful termination, it doesn't mean they would win an unemployment hearing.

Good riddance to all of them! Character counts, people!

I assume those were directly related to or about the company?

 

Had a seminar a few weeks ago that spoke about this very thing, examples (real life cases) of what is protected and what isn't.

 

Yes and no. One was fired for talking about other employees. Others have been disciplined for talking about the company online. One was a vague post during a tense time at work and that person was questioned but no discipline.

As you can guess I'm pro gun, I never post any of my guns or me training with them. I should be able too but can't in today's world.

As you can guess I'm pro gun, I never post any of my guns or me training with them. I should be able too but can't in today's world.

 

One of the folks I spoke of posted a picture of his gun. He didn't get in trouble but he was called to the office.

One of the folks I spoke of posted a picture of his gun. He didn't get in trouble but he was called to the office.

 

During my time as a union V.P., I had the displeasure of escorting 2 people out of our office who actually brought a gun to work.

One of the folks I spoke of posted a picture of his gun. He didn't get in trouble but he was called to the office.

 

That is absolutely ridiculous!

That is absolutely ridiculous!

 

Uhhh, nah, I said he posted a picture of his gun. I didn't say what he said when he posted it. He's probably lucky he didn't get in trouble.

That is absolutely ridiculous!

 

What if he posted the picture with the caption, "next person that crosses me" or something of that nature? Still ridiculous?

Don't most companies make you sign a social media policy? We aren't even allowed to put the name of the company we work for on our facebook.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.