Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why do the public schools in NKY get along with their private school neighbors...

Featured Replies

As for NKY, I wish there was a way to make it one County, and go to a school system more like the Ville...

There is talk of this every few years. I've even heard Kenton County have had talks of making all of Kenton County a Covington Metroplian. City goverments are so established it is almost impossible to take the power from the most of them.

  • Replies 101
  • Views 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
City goverments are so established it is almost impossible to take the power from the most of them.

 

Since they would be voting themselves out of jobs, I don't look for it to happen anytime soon.

Since they would be voting themselves out of jobs, I don't look for it to happen anytime soon.

 

 

That is why a plebicite is needed, if there is enough public support for it they have no justification in blocking it without seeming like self serving individuals.

That is why a plebicite is needed, if there is enough public support for it they have no justification in blocking it without seeming like self serving individuals.

Something needs to be done. It's just plain silly to have three counties in this region IMO...

As for NKY, I wish there was a way to make it one County, and go to a school system more like the Ville...

 

What do you see coming of such a merger?

What do you see coming of such a merger?

I see very few negatives in Boone/Kenton/Campbell becoming one unified metropolitan region. As for schools alone, I would like to see the vast resources in the area used to create a specialty learning system throughout the region. It would benefit the kids a great deal IMO...

As for schools alone, I would like to see the vast resources in the area used to create a specialty learning system throughout the region. It would benefit the kids a great deal IMO...

 

 

Why do we need to combine simply for this?

Why do we need to combine simply for this?

It's not just for that. Isn't one government better than three in a region so small? This is a sports forum, so I was keeping it along school lines...

Why do we need to combine simply for this?

 

 

It will also simplify public services such as the fire and police departments. A similar merger was of great assistance to Louisville and Jefferson County in regards to streamlining it.

What do you see coming of such a merger?

 

 

If big govt was efficient, then the federal govt would be the model of efficiency, which we all know it is not. Actually its not even close to being efficient. Big is bad in my mind when it comes to govt. I don't have the time now to get into detail for my logic, but for solid reasons, I'm opposed to it.

If big govt was efficient, then the federal govt would be the model of efficiency, which we all know it is not. Actually its not even close to being efficient. Big is bad in my mind when it comes to govt. I don't have the time now to get into detail for my logic, but for solid reasons, I'm opposed to it.

 

 

There is a happy median somewhere in there. Are you telling me that the government under the Articles of Confederation was more efficient than the Federal Government under the Constitution?

What do you see coming of such a merger?

 

I agree with Gametime, I see NKY not as there distinct counties, rather as one large community cut into thirds for governing purposes. Very similar to how I used to not see Metro Louisville as a the city of Louisville and as Jefferson County, rather one community cut in half with two different governments.

 

I strongly believe communities should be governed as a whole. Before the merger of Louisville and Jefferson County, the governments of both were hinting that tax increases would be necessary to keep services as they are due to both operating in near deficits in several years prior and continued deficits in the forecasted future.

 

After the merger, Metro Louisville never raised taxes, has increased services, is no longer running a deficit, not forecasted to run a deficit in the future and had its credit rating increased by both Moody's and Standard and Poore's due to the combined cities improved financial condition after the merger.

 

There were too many cases in Louisville and Jefferson Co. where both governments were essentially providing the exact same service in neighborhoods that were right next to each other along the city/county borderline. I assume the same occurs in NKY. After the merger, when the departments were consolidated, most initiated hiring freezes because the realized the just didn't need as many employees anymore, there was synergy after merging the two departments due to economies of scale. The same reason businesses merge together to experience those same economies of scale. To me, it just doesn't make sense of a single community to have multiple governments.

 

I think the reason the federal government is so inefficient is due to the fact that it tries to do too much for everyone. Much of what the federal government does should be passed down to the state level. Ronald Reagan one time held up a copy of the federal budget. The book made the Bible and the phone book like tiny. Also, I think citizens tend to keep an eye on the local government more than the federal government simply due to their closer proximity to their local government that Washington DC thereby pressuring local government leaders to use more discretion in spending money.

This reply is not intended to attack anything in your post, but to clarify a few seemingly unclear points about Trinity (specifically), and their approach to the educational portion of the boys' experience.

 

These points are stated by Trinity on their website, under the link: Quick Facts:

 

 

Average Class Size: low 20's

Student-Teacher Ratio: 12:1

House System-Student-Counselor Ration: 151:1

Trinity is a Blue Ribbion School of Excellence

Trinity's mean scores for the ACT above state and national levels, and all students must take the ACT as a part of the graduation requirements.

Most teachers hold a Master's degree or beyond. Six hold doctoral degrees

Low faculty turnover. More than 50 staff have been therm 10 or more years.

There is a counselor specifically devoted to students with diagnosed learning disabilities.

Schools that specialize in learning disabilites that send students to Trinity: DePaul Academy, Meredith Dunn and Summit Academy

100% handicap accessibility of all campus buildings

 

The House System, specifically:

 

 

 

Just thought I'd provide some info to ponder.

 

Like you, I don't believe that reducing the size of the student body is absolutely necessary to achieve certain things such as smaller class sizes and one-on-one instruction. I actually believe that the opposite is true, and that what you said is true: Resources are stretched thinner when more schools are added.

RM, that's exactly what I expected from a fine academic institution like Trinity. As long as you can keep that student/teacher ratio down, I don't see any problems with adding to enrollment. And since adding new students is the lifeblood of a school like Trinity, I'm sure we'll continue to see growth in that area. I have been to your school several times and couldn't say a bad thing about the entire school, inside and out. We seem to have the opposite view here in NKY, addition by subtraction, where we subtract students from schools and just build more schools. :lol: Honestly, if I lived in Louisville, I'd have a hard time selling myself on sending my kids to a school other than T, X, or Manual. I do have one question......how do they keep the teachers at Trinity? In my experience, the pay at Catholic schools is significantly lower than that of public schools. Is this not the case at Trinity?

RM, that's exactly what I expected from a fine academic institution like Trinity. As long as you can keep that student/teacher ratio down, I don't see any problems with adding to enrollment. And since adding new students is the lifeblood of a school like Trinity, I'm sure we'll continue to see growth in that area. I have been to your school several times and couldn't say a bad thing about the entire school, inside and out. We seem to have the opposite view here in NKY, addition by subtraction, where we subtract students from schools and just build more schools. :lol: Honestly, if I lived in Louisville, I'd have a hard time selling myself on sending my kids to a school other than T, X, or Manual. I do have one question......how do they keep the teachers at Trinity? In my experience, the pay at Catholic schools is significantly lower than that of public schools. Is this not the case at Trinity?

 

I'm not 100% sure about the pay, because I'm not a teacher. But, in the overall scheme of things, there is less pay, & fewer benefits (if you mean health, retirement, etc). On the other hand, they are an extraordinarly committed group of educators, those private school faculty. :D At my kids' grade school, I can still go back and visit teacher they had in first grade, for instance. Quite a few Trinity staff are ex-students...and some are even ex-X-students. :D Although no teacher (public or private) is ever paid what they are worth, I think that it's interesting that you never hear a group of private school teachers picketing for higher pay or better benefits. Or at least I haven't. They love what they do, and the do so much more, like all teachers. I would think it goes hand in hand with the loyalty the students, alumni and parents of current and former students feel toward the "Entity known as Trinity". :D

Let me interject a thought towards my NKY bretheren about any such multi-county school. I am striclty going to ask a question about Kenton Campbell, and Boone county schools. Presently we have Dayton, Belleview, Ludlow, Newport, Holmes, Campbell Co., LLoyd, Highlands, Beechwood, Simon Kenton, Scott, Dixie, Boone County, Ryle, and Conner. 15 teams, 50 players at least each. 750 kids playing football. How many kids will be playing if there is a consolidation? ............ I bet the numbers isn't half, isn't a quarter. Bigger has disadvantages. Advantages to be sure, but quite a few disadvantages as well.

 

And BTW, this is NOT a dig at anyone. :D Just wanted to be clear about that.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.