Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why do the public schools in NKY get along with their private school neighbors...

Featured Replies

I see, so you are questioning the commitment to academic excellence at Trinity and St.x becuase we don't bud and split as schools in NKY do? Don't take this the wrong way, but are you seriously questioning our academic commitments to excellence? Our track record speaks for itself. Of course we do not HAVE to take the special needs, the EBD, the ESL, the IEPs that the public schools do but mainstreaming was not something that is mandatory. That is the prevailing educational philosophy in the state of Kentucky at the moment.

 

That my friend was a cheap shot that is wholly unfounded with conjecture and hearsay. Needless to say I am offended that you would even say such a thing about ANY school. In this case I take considerable umbrage at the fact that you dare insinuate that my alma mater is not committed to the best possible education of our students.

Where did he slam anyone? It read to me like he just noted the different styles in place...

  • Replies 101
  • Views 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where did he slam anyone? It read to me like he just noted the different styles in place...

 

 

I took offense to this last line:

 

I will say this in closing: There is a reason that the best colleges in the nation have a cap on enrollment.

 

That, as I saw it, was a direct slam at the educational quality of schools such as Trinity and St.x. It was a very subtle and circuitous dig, but it was there nonetheless.

 

At least that is how I saw it. :thumb:

I took offense to this last line:

 

 

 

That, as I saw it, was a direct slam at the educational quality of schools such as Trinity and St.x. It was a very subtle and circuitous dig, but it was there nonetheless.

 

At least that is how I saw it. :thumb:

When looking to be offended, one will always find a path... ;)

When looking to be offended, one will always find a path... ;)

 

 

:p :p

 

I don't subscribe to the same educational philosophy, while you may have understood his frame of reference, or perhaps shared it, I did not. As such I took it as I did. I was not looking to take offense.

 

You know me GT, if I am going to go on a rant I am going to do it with or without a reason. If that were my intent I would have gone off and started another thread about it. :banana:

I see, so you are questioning the commitment to academic excellence at Trinity and St.x becuase we don't bud and split as schools in NKY do? Don't take this the wrong way, but are you seriously questioning our academic commitments to excellence? Our track record speaks for itself. Of course we do not HAVE to take the special needs, the EBD, the ESL, the IEPs that the public schools do but mainstreaming was not something that is mandatory. That is the prevailing educational philosophy in the state of Kentucky at the moment.

 

That my friend was a cheap shot that is wholly unfounded with conjecture and hearsay. Needless to say I am offended that you would even say such a thing about ANY school. In this case I take considerable umbrage at the fact that you dare insinuate that my alma mater is not committed to the best possible education of our students.

 

 

PR,

 

Raider made NO negative comment on ANYONES commitment to academics.

 

Raider made NO comments AT ALL on special needs or mainstreaming.

 

Raider used NO conjecture and NO hearsay.

 

Raider made a rather excellent observation on how he saw T, X, etc. dealing with education matters.

 

Raider did/said nothing to warrant being accused by you of a cheap shot.

 

Raider stated that the 2 different models of education BOTH have good & bad points.

 

Raider "insinuated" NOTHING negative about ANYONE !!

 

Raider simply expressed his "opinion" or a "preference" that schools should be capped. If you don't like that, it's OK. But it would be silly to refute that opinion as anything but valid since nearly every school official regularly says that smaller class size is best. [personally I don't necessarily agree but it is a dominant view]

 

I feel that any member of BGP should be able to express their opinion or view without having others attack them so angrily and vehemently - expecially without showing any proof of the claims.

 

Woody Jr

PR,

 

Raider made NO negative comment on ANYONES commitment to academics.

 

Raider made NO comments AT ALL on special needs or mainstreaming.

 

Raider used NO conjecture and NO hearsay.

 

Raider made a rather excellent observation on how he saw T, X, etc. dealing with education matters.

 

Raider did/said nothing to warrant being accused by you of a cheap shot.

 

Raider stated that the 2 different models of education BOTH have good & bad points.

 

Raider "insinuated" NOTHING negative about ANYONE !!

 

Raider simply expressed his "opinion" or a "preference" that schools should be capped. If you don't like that, it's OK. But it would be silly to refute that opinion as anything but valid since nearly every school official regularly says that smaller class size is best. [personally I don't necessarily agree but it is a dominant view]

 

I feel that any member of BGP should be able to express their opinion or view without having others attack them so angrily and vehemently - expecially without showing any proof of the claims.

 

Woody Jr

 

You have your opinion on it, I have mine. While he may not have meant it that way, while he may not have SAID it that way. The PERCEPTION was that it was meant as a dig. Having seen posts from him over there years there was likley no grounds for me to take it that way. However as you must know by now that in many ways reality is irrelevant, it is the perception that makes the biggest difference.

 

I am not going to lie about that part. OldRaider22 has been one of the best posters I have dealt with on this site. I took his comment as a dig, was it meant that way? More than likely not. Like I said he is not known for that, if his name was mvplayer, then I would have expected it, but that was a different era.

 

You want me to apologize and boot lick? Not happening. Will I acknowledge A slight loss in interpretation perhaps, but that is it.

 

In the end I know that there will be no resolution on this particular take on my interpretation of that last line. While it may not have been a dig to everyone else here, I take exception to that. For that I heartily apologize :rolleyes: ,would you like me to fall on my sword? Or perhaps seppuku?

I agree that X & T offer an excellent education. I am not sure how good of a dollar value it is when comparing academic achievement to the most successful public schools in Louisville (duPont Manual and Male), but that is another issue. However why dont the largest all male schools also strive to extend the educational excellence into the area of competitive fairness in athletics? How can any accomplishment in athletics by X & T be taken without a snicker when X and T enjoy such an advantage in numbers over 95% of their competition?

 

Going back to the original post, its plain and simple a numbers issue. Do any of the N. KY. schools enjoy such an advantage in enrollment figures? If so, I believe N. KY and Louisville would not be so different.

You have your opinion on it, I have mine. While he may not have meant it that way, while he may not have SAID it that way. The PERCEPTION was that it was meant as a dig. Having seen posts from him over there years there was likley no grounds for me to take it that way. However as you must know by now that in many ways reality is irrelevant, it is the perception that makes the biggest difference.

 

I am not going to lie about that part. OldRaider22 has been one of the best posters I have dealt with on this site. I took his comment as a dig, was it meant that way? More than likely not. Like I said he is not known for that, if his name was mvplayer, then I would have expected it, but that was a different era.

 

You want me to apologize and boot lick? Not happening. Will I acknowledge A slight loss in interpretation perhaps, but that is it.

 

In the end I know that there will be no resolution on this particular take on my interpretation of that last line. While it may not have been a dig to everyone else here, I take exception to that. For that I heartily apologize :rolleyes: ,would like me to fall on my sword? Or perhaps seppuku?

 

 

NO sword play allowed:D

 

I just felt it was an "overzealous?" attack on another member:confused:

I hated to stick my nose in others exchanges but he wasnt on and had been replying to me. I also have been discussing this "interpretation" issue with another poster and agree that its soemtimes/often/always:confused: :p hard to know exactly what anothers true meaning is.

I guess we just have to do our best. I usually try to ask for an interpretation first but too often seem to receive short somewhat snippy answers that often seem to encourage an even snippier reply from me unfortunately:eek:

 

 

Thanks for responding with thoughtful comments - wish all were this way. have a great weekend:ylsuper:

 

P.S. I'm not aware of anyone suggesting private schools arent 110% committed to education, or everything for that matter. Heck, thats why kids want to go there:thumb:

 

 

Woody Jr

NO sword play allowed:D

 

I just felt it was an "overzealous?" attack on another member:confused:

I hated to stick my nose in others exchanges but he wasnt on and had been replying to me. I also have been discussing this "interpretation" issue with another poster and agree that its soemtimes/often/always:confused: :p hard to know exactly what anothers true meaning is.

I guess we just have to do our best. I usually try to ask for an interpretation first but too often seem to receive short somewhat snippy answers that often seem to encourage an even snippier reply from me unfortunately:eek:

 

 

Thanks for responding with thoughtful comments - wish all were this way. have a great weekend:ylsuper:

 

P.S. I'm not aware of anyone suggesting private schools arent 110% committed to education, or everything for that matter. Heck, thats why kids want to go there:thumb:

 

 

Woody Jr

 

 

 

That is why I should never take a call at work and type at the same time. WHOA!!! That is unlike me. That was just a simple misunderstanding that I allowed myself to get prideful about, while getting frustrated with a troubleshooting issue. :creepy:

 

 

Moral of the story, too much multi-tasking can be a problem.

I see, so you are questioning the commitment to academic excellence at Trinity and St.x becuase we don't bud and split as schools in NKY do? Don't take this the wrong way, but are you seriously questioning our academic commitments to excellence? Our track record speaks for itself. Of course we do not HAVE to take the special needs, the EBD, the ESL, the IEPs that the public schools do but mainstreaming was not something that is mandatory. That is the prevailing educational philosophy in the state of Kentucky at the moment.

 

That my friend was a cheap shot that is wholly unfounded with conjecture and hearsay. Needless to say I am offended that you would even say such a thing about ANY school. In this case I take considerable umbrage at the fact that you dare insinuate that my alma mater is not committed to the best possible education of our students.

After reading this post, I should be the one taking offense. :lol: However, I can see how you could misconstrue what I was saying, after re-reading my post. I appreciate the comments in the later posts, and have always regarded you in much the same manner. I don't think anyone is going to call T or X on the carpet for academic defecencies. That being said, obviously there are two schools of thought here in terms of educational systems. One seeks to grow, seemingly forever:lol: , while the other seeks to "cap" growth. If you do a little research on here, you'll find that I have long been outspoken AGAINST the plans of my area. As I said in my earlier post, there are certainly advantages(smaller classes/more personalized instruction) and disadvantages(resources more spread out/lost in the shuffle). I have long thought that Ryle would be the perfect spot to create a "campus" for Boone Co. high school students. If its about class size, fine, just build more classrooms. You can still save a ton by centralizing all the resources, and I can't imagine that it would cost so much more to bus kids to the same school they already attend.

 

Now that I've gotten that out, I did have sort of a hidden agenda with that so-called "dig".:sssh: And here it is: I am an educator, and I often wonder when athletics and education became so "big business". When I was in H.S. there were 3 major bowl games in the state of Kentucky(and I'm certainly not old......yet). Now everyone has one. Doesn't that take away from the prestige of the game? (much in the same manner creating more state titles would?) Now we are comparing H.S. campuses to those of colleges, many schools have facilities that rival or are better than many colleges. Schools like T want bigger classes, and if I am inferring correctly from your post, place students in a "dorm like" setting. My question is, where does it stop? Is bigger always better? Certainly that isn't the prevailing school of though among our elite college institutions. More importantly, shouldn't we leave the "college experience" out of high school? Isn't that what college is for? I see more and more students doing things(and you all know what I'm talking about) that were once only staples at college institutions. It seems to me that our kids are "getting old" way too fast these days. Coaches get fired left and right anymore......and these are guys who literally make less than a quarter an hour for their jobs. Are H.S. athletics really this important? I know this is all a bit nostalgic and all, but jeez, whatever happend to playing with the kids from your neighborhood? (I think I should write a book, and that should be the title:p )

When looking to be offended, one will always find a path... ;)

Agreed. I appreciate the solid backup from you and Woody Jr. See what I get for leaving the computer for a while? :lol:

 

P.S. Any word on the CPC schedule for this year? Never too early to ask.....gotta program the TiVo early.

Agreed. I appreciate the solid backup from you and Woody Jr. See what I get for leaving the computer for a while? :lol:

 

P.S. Any word on the CPC schedule for this year? Never too early to ask.....gotta program the TiVo early.

Meeting is in late June. As always, BGP will be the first to know...

As for NKY, I wish there was a way to make it one County, and go to a school system more like the Ville...

After reading this post, I should be the one taking offense. :lol: However, I can see how you could misconstrue what I was saying, after re-reading my post. I appreciate the comments in the later posts, and have always regarded you in much the same manner. I don't think anyone is going to call T or X on the carpet for academic defecencies. That being said, obviously there are two schools of thought here in terms of educational systems. One seeks to grow, seemingly forever:lol: , while the other seeks to "cap" growth. If you do a little research on here, you'll find that I have long been outspoken AGAINST the plans of my area. As I said in my earlier post, there are certainly advantages(smaller classes/more personalized instruction) and disadvantages(resources more spread out/lost in the shuffle). I have long thought that Ryle would be the perfect spot to create a "campus" for Boone Co. high school students. If its about class size, fine, just build more classrooms. You can still save a ton by centralizing all the resources, and I can't imagine that it would cost so much more to bus kids to the same school they already attend.

 

Now that I've gotten that out, I did have sort of a hidden agenda with that so-called "dig".:sssh: And here it is: I am an educator, and I often wonder when athletics and education became so "big business". When I was in H.S. there were 3 major bowl games in the state of Kentucky(and I'm certainly not old......yet). Now everyone has one. Doesn't that take away from the prestige of the game? (much in the same manner creating more state titles would?) Now we are comparing H.S. campuses to those of colleges, many schools have facilities that rival or are better than many colleges. Schools like T want bigger classes, and if I am inferring correctly from your post, place students in a "dorm like" setting. My question is, where does it stop? Is bigger always better? Certainly that isn't the prevailing school of though among our elite college institutions. More importantly, shouldn't we leave the "college experience" out of high school? Isn't that what college is for? I see more and more students doing things(and you all know what I'm talking about) that were once only staples at college institutions. It seems to me that our kids are "getting old" way too fast these days. Coaches get fired left and right anymore......and these are guys who literally make less than a quarter an hour for their jobs. Are H.S. athletics really this important? I know this is all a bit nostalgic and all, but jeez, whatever happend to playing with the kids from your neighborhood? (I think I should write a book, and that should be the title:p )

 

 

I too am an educator, I just look at it a little differently. :thumb:

 

Trinity is not so much going for the "dorm" setting with their house system. It is meant as a means of allowing a school as large as Trinity to continue to keep its community feel and sense of brotherhood among the student body. I presonally thought the whole concept was silly when I graduated, they implemented it the following year, but after having spoken with many students, in particular freshmen,I see how it has been beneficial for them.

 

Again two different viewpoints on the matter.

 

BTW I appreciate how you could understand my point of view. :thumb:

After reading this post, I should be the one taking offense. :lol: However, I can see how you could misconstrue what I was saying, after re-reading my post. I appreciate the comments in the later posts, and have always regarded you in much the same manner. I don't think anyone is going to call T or X on the carpet for academic defecencies. That being said, obviously there are two schools of thought here in terms of educational systems. One seeks to grow, seemingly forever:lol: , while the other seeks to "cap" growth. If you do a little research on here, you'll find that I have long been outspoken AGAINST the plans of my area. As I said in my earlier post, there are certainly advantages(smaller classes/more personalized instruction) and disadvantages(resources more spread out/lost in the shuffle).

 

I have long thought that Ryle would be the perfect spot to create a "campus" for Boone Co. high school students. If its about class size, fine, just build more classrooms. You can still save a ton by centralizing all the resources, and I can't imagine that it would cost so much more to bus kids to the same school they already attend.

 

Now that I've gotten that out, I did have sort of a hidden agenda with that so-called "dig".:sssh: And here it is: I am an educator, and I often wonder when athletics and education became so "big business". When I was in H.S. there were 3 major bowl games in the state of Kentucky(and I'm certainly not old......yet). Now everyone has one. Doesn't that take away from the prestige of the game? (much in the same manner creating more state titles would?) Now we are comparing H.S. campuses to those of colleges, many schools have facilities that rival or are better than many colleges. Schools like T want bigger classes, and if I am inferring correctly from your post, place students in a "dorm like" setting. My question is, where does it stop? Is bigger always better? Certainly that isn't the prevailing school of though among our elite college institutions. More importantly, shouldn't we leave the "college experience" out of high school? Isn't that what college is for? I see more and more students doing things(and you all know what I'm talking about) that were once only staples at college institutions. It seems to me that our kids are "getting old" way too fast these days. Coaches get fired left and right anymore......and these are guys who literally make less than a quarter an hour for their jobs. Are H.S. athletics really this important? I know this is all a bit nostalgic and all, but jeez, whatever happend to playing with the kids from your neighborhood? (I think I should write a book, and that should be the title:p )

 

This reply is not intended to attack anything in your post, but to clarify a few seemingly unclear points about Trinity (specifically), and their approach to the educational portion of the boys' experience.

 

These points are stated by Trinity on their website, under the link: Quick Facts:

 

 

Average Class Size: low 20's

Student-Teacher Ratio: 12:1

House System-Student-Counselor Ration: 151:1

Trinity is a Blue Ribbion School of Excellence

Trinity's mean scores for the ACT above state and national levels, and all students must take the ACT as a part of the graduation requirements.

Most teachers hold a Master's degree or beyond. Six hold doctoral degrees

Low faculty turnover. More than 50 staff have been therm 10 or more years.

There is a counselor specifically devoted to students with diagnosed learning disabilities.

Schools that specialize in learning disabilites that send students to Trinity: DePaul Academy, Meredith Dunn and Summit Academy

100% handicap accessibility of all campus buildings

 

The House System, specifically:

 

In the Fall of 2001, Trinity High School became the only school in the region to offer a House System. Common in European schools, the system, “divides a larger community into several smaller ones to increase opportunities for student leadership and adult mentoring,” said Dan Zoeller, Trinity’s Principal.

Since its inception, students are building even closer relationships and experiencing a deeper sense of belonging. School spirit is up and the student voice in the administration is greater than ever!

There are 10 Houses of approximately 110-120 students who remain in the same house for their full four years. Named after famous Catholic saints, thinkers and writers, the Houses comprise freshmen through seniors.

Throughout the year, Houses compete in a variety of contests and competitions to encourage unity and pride. Each House has its own motto, mascot, colors, banner and student-designed T-shirt.

 

Just thought I'd provide some info to ponder.

 

Like you, I don't believe that reducing the size of the student body is absolutely necessary to achieve certain things such as smaller class sizes and one-on-one instruction. I actually believe that the opposite is true, and that what you said is true: Resources are stretched thinner when more schools are added.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.