Boone County 2 Campbell County 2

Soccer01

That was a first for me. This is Boone County. We always play in these conditions and far worse. The field was slick and I don't want to see my kid hurt any more than anyone else, but c'mon. The JV played in a 20 minute rain. The field was just as slick at the start of the varsity game. If it was too slick at the half it was too slick at the start.

The field was in better condition today than maaany other days when I've witnessed a full game being played--like last season's district tournament. Boone kids played NCC at Morscher last year and it had rained most of the day. It was a downpour during the JV match. It cleared up just before the varsity played but the field was a mess and the kids slid all the way through 80 minutes. No thought of calling that match.

Boone AD was present today. I heard he tried to convince the coach to call the game prior to the varsity match. Game was called at half by the trainer (?) due to dangerous conditions. I have to ask the question: would the game have been called if it was Friday night? It just doesn't sit well with me.

Agree completely, oldgrappler! I doubt the AT would have said the field was unsafe at HT if Boone had not equalized on the header toward the end of the half.

These 2 teams looked pretty well matched. Very even both ways, although the poor conditions sometimes mask the skills of a better team. Thought the CR did a decent job. Nothing egregious either way. Let's give credit when it is warranted.

Now, the match.

Boone got out to a fast start possessing the ball and moving up field. Their first score came after just 3 minutes. Yedali got the score on an assist from Rice.

Boone continued to pressure but eventually the Camels got their feet under them, not easy to do given the conditions. CC was having some success with through-balls today. My memory is fuzzy as to the order of things. I remember the Camels scored off a throw-in. The ball was well-placed and there weren't enough Boone players standing in the way. The Campbell County player seemed to be pretty much alone with only a minor challenge from a defender and the CC player tapped it in. Nothing the goalie could do. How does the opponent get that position, all alone, in front of the goal? Another CC score came from a through-ball and one-on-one with the goalie. It was 2-1 CC. Boone scored late in the first half when Mgara got down the right side and crossed it in. Martinez was there to head the ball in from about 2 feet outside the goal. The half ended and the players headed for the bench. Before they even had a chance to sit down the ref blew the double whistle and it was over. Totally unsatisfactory so I will look on the bright side. No one was injured and no one lost.

Agree completely, oldgrappler! I doubt the AT would have said the field was unsafe at HT if Boone had not equalized on the header toward the end of the half.

These 2 teams looked pretty well matched. Very even both ways, although the poor conditions sometimes mask the skills of a better team. Thought the CR did a decent job. Nothing egregious either way. Let's give credit when it is warranted.

I'm with you on everything you said, Toe Poke. I had the same thought about Boone netting the ball near the end of the half. Had the match been called with Boone down by 1 at the half i would have said we got homered on our own field :rolleyes: CR did well. He got yelled at a couple times but that's because the crowd didn't wait for his call. :lol2:

Carroll County just got a turf field. Walton has a turf field. Play as many games as you like and no worries about the field. Rent it out for income to help with maintenance.I know this doesn't help your team today but it's really time for the Boone County schools to get turf.

Long story but essentially a certain famous alumni that made it to the NFL wanted to donate to help them get it and the idea was poo pooed.

Oh, that story. Sorry, didn't recognize the SA as Shawn Alexander.

This is an old story but it is often told without understanding the whole story. My understanding is that SA was representing the turf company and was getting Boone a good deal on the turf, perhaps paying for some of it but not all of it. The School Board would have to come up with the rest (a large sum as I understand the story). The Board said it could not do this for Boone County and not the other schools also and could not afford to do so.

So, the offer of turf at a reduced cost could not be accepted. SA had to find some other way to help his former community and so he bought the old YMCA on Main St in Florence to fix it up as a community center. I think the costs to do so got too high so this never materialized either. Too bad. SA tried but it seems nothing worked out.

This story is different than the way Ryle got turf. In Ryle's case, the donor paid the entire tab and so the school could accept that gift. Since the school board didn't have to kick in any money the requirement that all the schools in the district receive the same thing did not apply. This is how I understand the whole story.

Boone County H.S. just can't seem to catch a break.