Dixie Freshman Football

KingOfClutch33

Heard from someone the other day that Dixie had to cancel their freshman season this year. Is this true? If so, why? The year after going to a state championship are they having that difficult of a time getting numbers out to play? Anyone with some inside knowledge help us out :idunno:

Also, if there is already a thread on this I apologize but I didn't see one

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard from someone the other day that Dixie had to cancel their freshman season this year. Is this true? If so, why? The year after going to a state championship are they having that difficult of a time getting numbers out to play? Anyone with some inside knowledge help us out :idunno:

Also, if there is already a thread on this I apologize but I didn't see one

This was mentioned in a thread somewhere not too long ago. Is it surprising?? A little. But remember, incoming 8th graders didn't get to experience the trip to the state title game, and weren't in the building to experience the atmosphere. It was mentioned that this years incoming freshman class has been very small and had low football number going all the way back to early middle school days. And all it takes is a handful of kids quitting (which always happens going from 8th grade to high school) to make it hard to field a freshman team. And with football numbers continuing to drop in many places, I think that only the biggest schools will have freshman teams consistently.

This was mentioned in a thread somewhere not too long ago. Is it surprising?? A little. But remember, incoming 8th graders didn't get to experience the trip to the state title game, and weren't in the building to experience the atmosphere. It was mentioned that this years incoming freshman class has been very small and had low football number going all the way back to early middle school days. And all it takes is a handful of kids quitting (which always happens going from 8th grade to high school) to make it hard to field a freshman team. And with football numbers continuing to drop in many places, I think that only the biggest schools will have freshman teams consistently.

I do understand that they were not a part of the team, but when you have a team that is very talented and the energy of the program, kids want to be a part of that and try to get back there. Does open enrollment have anything to do with the lack of numbers? Seems SK is getting more and more kids and now with the new facilities more kids are even going to Scott. Is Dixie hurting because of that?

I do understand that they were not a part of the team, but when you have a team that is very talented and the energy of the program, kids want to be a part of that and try to get back there. Does open enrollment have anything to do with the lack of numbers? Seems SK is getting more and more kids and now with the new facilities more kids are even going to Scott. Is Dixie hurting because of that?

Open enrollment is cyclical. Some years you gain kids, sometimes you lose them. I do think that with Scott's turnaround, they are doing a better job of at least holding on to the kids they should have, especially in the Edgewood area. But I can't think of any kids that are open enrolled in Scott that should be at Dixie.

I really believe this is just a function of less kids playing football period, and not a problem with the program. I see kids quitting football every year to specialize in basketball or baseball. Fall baseball is especially hurting football numbers, especially in Northern Ky where there is access to more than a few fall baseball leagues.

I find this very surprising and it is not like Dixie is a small school. Went from 6A to 5A this year.

I will be interested in seeing if this has damaging effects later in years on the varsity team and future freshman teams. I can't see too many kids that play football wanting to open enroll there for their freshman year if this could possibly happen.

Open enrollment is cyclical. Some years you gain kids, sometimes you lose them. I do think that with Scott's turnaround, they are doing a better job of at least holding on to the kids they should have, especially in the Edgewood area. But I can't think of any kids that are open enrolled in Scott that should be at Dixie.

I really believe this is just a function of less kids playing football period, and not a problem with the program. I see kids quitting football every year to specialize in basketball or baseball. Fall baseball is especially hurting football numbers, especially in Northern Ky where there is access to more than a few fall baseball leagues.

Easier.

Play a lot more, practice a lot less & with basketball it's always 70 degrees and sunny. Everybody has a ball, everybody gets to bat, everybody gets to throw, etc. etc.

Parents and kids summers aren't over not 10 days into July.

I hate seeing it, but putting together full freshmen teams which in turn equals low numbers as they get older is becoming more and more common. While it's not a popular thing to say amongst the masses (or maybe it is, and many just don't want to admit it. I personally think there is a very silent majority out there that feels the same way); I can't help to think that when football is now practiced and played has a whole lot to do with this. Nothing needs to be taken away really, but things shifted around in regards to start dates.

I've said it on other threads, but colleges and pros don't start until at or after August 1. Their seasons don't start until Labor Day weekend or after that even (NFL).

If anybody thought the best thing for football was to start practice the 2nd week of July and open the season in the 3rd week of August was the best thing going, you'd think it'd be them.