Whitley County 9 Corbin 2

One of the very few balls that Bird didn't catch on any field of play.

Steve was standing at the fence at the old Rotary Park that we played at, I thought that he had it all the way, but he never put his glove up to catch it and it hit the scoreboard approximately a foot above his head. I seem to recall him saying that he lost it in the sun, that when it was setting was directly in the eyes of the fielders on the left and centerfield sides of the field.

We did it! Way to go Colonels!:thumb:

Good luck the rest of the way! Whitley has about as good a chance to win the region as anyone, although I expect South Laurel to take it.

:D Congrats whitley.......enjoy it .....it may not happen again for another few decades:p

While Corbin started 4 young kids, Whitley did not HAVE to. The Colonels have a great Sophmore and Freshman class, with some of their best pitching in the freshman class. Plus a EXCELLANT 8th grade class coming to the high school next year.

John Smith is building a program that can just reload every year. When you don't need to rely on younger players you are getting where you need to be. Just like someone said they could not remember Corbin starting so many young kids, it shows how Corbin used to be. Randall Sawyers would have never been in that position. Coach Sawyers (who was the best coach in SEKY) would have never had a freshman attempting to bunt for a hit down by 4 or 5 runs, or diving 30 feet from a ball, which ended up going for a triple.

Best case, you play your young kids Freshman and JV games and then move them up as they mature.

Congrats to the Colonels on a great win. Regular season was for "show", district was for "Dough"

While Corbin started 4 young kids, Whitley did not HAVE to. The Colonels have a great Sophmore and Freshman class, with some of their best pitching in the freshman class. Plus a EXCELLANT 8th grade class coming to the high school next year.

John Smith is building a program that can just reload every year. When you don't need to rely on younger players you are getting where you need to be. Just like someone said they could not remember Corbin starting so many young kids, it shows how Corbin used to be. Randall Sawyers would have never been in that position. Coach Sawyers (who was the best coach in SEKY) would have never had a freshman attempting to bunt for a hit down by 4 or 5 runs, or diving 30 feet from a ball, which ended up going for a triple.

Best case, you play your young kids Freshman and JV games and then move them up as they mature.

Congrats to the Colonels on a great win. Regular season was for "show", district was for "Dough"

I agree with some of what you said, such as;

1. Smith building a solid program at Whitley.

2. Whitley having some good young talent that currently play JV.

I have to disagree on Coach Sawyers not being in the same position as far as having to play some kids who are not quite ready. The current Jr. and Sr. classes at Corbin have always had a smaller number of male athetes in their particular grade, so it has resulted in younger players having to play earlier than usual in baseball, football, soccer and basketball. It is just a cycle that occurs in smaller schools and one that they more often than not overcome.

Coach Sawyers was a very good coach, but Corbin has not missed a beat since Garmon took over the helm and I would have to put Coach Garmon and Coach Ledington at the top of the region as coaches who run class act programs. It seems like it has not been that long ago that Corbin won the region and advanced to the final 8 in the state.

I agree with some of what you said, such as;

1. Smith building a solid program at Whitley.

2. Whitley having some good young talent that currently play JV.

I have to disagree on Coach Sawyers not being in the same position as far as having to play some kids who are not quite ready. The current Jr. and Sr. classes at Corbin have always had a smaller number of male athetes in their particular grade, so it has resulted in younger players having to play earlier than usual in baseball, football, soccer and basketball. It is just a cycle that occurs in smaller schools and one that they more often than not overcome.

Coach Sawyers was a very good coach, but Corbin has not missed a beat since Garmon took over the helm and I would have to put Coach Garmon and Coach Ledington at the top of the region as coaches who run class act programs. It seems like it has not been that long ago that Corbin won the region and advanced to the final 8 in the state.

I agree with you, Garmon and Leddington run a great program, and they are two of the top coaches in the region,but I think Randall Sawyers was a cut above them and most of the coaches in the region and SEKY today. He always seemed to really get the most out of his talant. Cycles in talant is something all schools have to deal with, but certainly smaller schools are hit harder. But the talant level at Corbin coming up is not what we have seen in the past. But one thing is for sure, Corbin will most times out work and out hustle most teams and that wins games.

:D Congrats whitley.......enjoy it .....it may not happen again for another few decades:p

Oh but, this could be a "A NEW ERA IN WHITLEY COUNTY BASEBALL!" LOL. Im sure you will see the Colonels win alot in the next few years. They have a great coach in John Smith and, alot of great young talent.:lol:

I agree with you, Garmon and Leddington run a great program, and they are two of the top coaches in the region,but I think Randall Sawyers was a cut above them and most of the coaches in the region and SEKY today. He always seemed to really get the most out of his talant. Cycles in talant is something all schools have to deal with, but certainly smaller schools are hit harder. But the talant level at Corbin coming up is not what we have seen in the past. But one thing is for sure, Corbin will most times out work and out hustle most teams and that wins games.

These freshmen and sophomores at Corbin need to realize that the hard work put in by some of the past players is what made all the difference, not an especially large amount of talent. They also have a much tougher road in the 50th district with South Laurel entering the picture along with a much improved Whitley and an always competitive, well-coached Williamsburg team. There will almost always be at least two of the top five teams in the region coming out of this district.