Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NextUpRecruits 2018 Player Rankings

Featured Replies

I love ranking threads.
I love parents.
  • Replies 51
  • Views 15.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you don't have to have talent to spot talent, however you have to now the game. With that being said how can you effectively know the game if you have never played or coached. Again, anyone can say "he can shoot", "hes athletic", or "he works hard". Just my opinion, because every parent in the stand thinks he can coach or think he has knowledge. But I do agree you don't have to have talent to spot it.

Skill level, athleticism and measurables are the most common rankings indicator for smaller scale rankings like these (state level). Nationally most rankings come through those variables as well as competitive games. If you see a kid for a game or two and have any scouting ability you can see how athletic they are and how skilled they are.

 

As far as college coach evaluations go, you'd be surprised how many kids can get interest just off of how they look in the layup line. Everyone wants athletes.

"As far as college coach evaluations go, you'd be surprised how many kids can get interest just off of how they look in the layup line. Everyone wants athletes. "

 

This is so true. You can teach certain skills to players who are willing, you can't teach athleticism.

"As far as college coach evaluations go, you'd be surprised how many kids can get interest just off of how they look in the layup line. Everyone wants athletes. "

 

This is so true. You can teach certain skills to players who are willing, you can't teach athleticism.

 

The fact is being athletic in addition to size, speed, and strength are starters for most programs. In almost all of Division 1 basketball, a perimeter guard/wing has to be pretty darn fast and able to defend an equally fast/quick player on the other end. That is for table stakes and in rankings for most kids under 6'3" it limits how high up you will be able to project at the next level. Of course being able to shoot and put the ball in the basket are premiums that coaches love, but if you lack being able to defend your position of someone who is Division 1 quick you are delegated down to D2, D3, or NAIA.

 

I do not think many people when looking at rankings identify with this line of thinking. Being a scorer at the High School level in KY or being able to defend other high school kids in KY means almost nothing when it comes to D1 basketball recruiting potential. Bigger kids who can play around the basket are graded differently, they almost need to be 6'8" or bigger to be considered a post player. It is not easy making the grade for D1 basketball which is why I applaud all the kids from our state that end up making it, even D2 ball is an honor.

The fact is being athletic in addition to size, speed, and strength are starters for most programs. In almost all of Division 1 basketball, a perimeter guard/wing has to be pretty darn fast and able to defend an equally fast/quick player on the other end. That is for table stakes and in rankings for most kids under 6'3" it limits how high up you will be able to project at the next level. Of course being able to shoot and put the ball in the basket are premiums that coaches love, but if you lack being able to defend your position of someone who is Division 1 quick you are delegated down to D2, D3, or NAIA.

 

I do not think many people when looking at rankings identify with this line of thinking. Being a scorer at the High School level in KY or being able to defend other high school kids in KY means almost nothing when it comes to D1 basketball recruiting potential. Bigger kids who can play around the basket are graded differently, they almost need to be 6'8" or bigger to be considered a post player. It is not easy making the grade for D1 basketball which is why I applaud all the kids from our state that end up making it, even D2 ball is an honor.

 

Playing college basketball at any level is an honor. Kids have no idea how hard it is to be successful at even the NAIA level. People also lose sight of how many D1 players end up at NAIA, D2 or D3 also.

I've said this on here multiple times and I'll say it again...I encourage folks to go watch a good Mid South Conference basketball game this season. By good, I mean UPIKE, Georgetown, Lindsey Wilson, Campbellsville, Cumberlands, etc.

 

Then report back on the level of play.

I've said this on here multiple times and I'll say it again...I encourage folks to go watch a good Mid South Conference basketball game this season. By good, I mean UPIKE, Georgetown, Lindsey Wilson, Campbellsville, Cumberlands, etc.

 

Then report back on the level of play.

 

I agree and to be honest the execution and shooting may be better than what we see on TV during the NCAA season. The difference is the size, strength, length, speed/quickness, and overall athleticism.

Kentucky has some of the best NAIA teams in the country, and all have a good brand of basketball. Division 2- Kentucky Wesleyan and Bellarmine are top notch program and Kentucky state always has a competitive program. Division 3- Berea College is on the rise while Transylvania and Thomas Moore are strong programs. Lastly, lets not forget about NAIA Division 2 programs such as Asbury who has been strong. Great non Division 1 basketball.

Fern Creek with no less than 6 players on this list...Whose coaching this team Calipari? If they keep this nucleus, I see a state title in the near future...

I have watched stephen cager sophomore shooting guard from hopkinsville, ky shred three of those guys in your top ten.

PRP's Trey Hill is visiting XU this week for the Villanova game.

Andrew Taylor, Trevon Faulkner and Justin Mitchell visited Tennessee Saturday and got a picture with Ben Simmons after the game

This is a tricky business; and yes it is a business. Visits are really not visits in a lot of cases. All of this will play out for some well deserving kids on this lists and not on this list. I've traveled and attended a lot of AAU/High School/summer league games. And I can tell you without a doubt some of the top kids on this list have absolutely been shredded by kids not close to being on this list.

Jalen Johnson and Detorrion Ware should be number 1 and number 2 by far. They are leading there high school clubs and they won the AAU National Championship last summer as well on the Attucks Wolfpack.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.