Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Sorority Recruitment Video Objectifying?

Featured Replies

Then we have a different definition. By your definition how can one ever be objectified if "not seen as actual people" is the requirement?

 

Honestly, I have no desire to get into this with you Clyde. We have different definitions, let's leave it at that.

  • Replies 101
  • Views 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Honestly, I have no desire to get into this with you Clyde. We have different definitions, let's leave it at that.

 

We do, indeed. I'm struggling with yours.

Then what is your definition of "objectify?"

 

Do you think WWE Objectifies Men?

Definition that I just got from Google for objectifying:

 

"degrade to the status of a mere object."

 

That video didn't come close to doing that in my opinion.

Do you think WWE Objectifies Men?

 

By definition, of course.

We do, indeed. I'm struggling with yours.

 

Struggle away my man...

I am not offended by this video. I don't care that it was made. I'm sure the sorority conveyed the exact message they intended, and I'm sure without the unfounded hubbub it would be successful in attracting the right girls who would mesh well with the other sisters.

 

With that said, I can't tell if you guys are just missing Clyde's point or purposely trying to champion a cause no one is fighting. I promise I am not judging the South, but from my anecdotal experience of friends attending Alabama, there's a very real reputation of many girls choosing and MRS degree for their scholastic track. Through that prism, I can see how a video like this can rub one the wrong way when thinking about your friends, sisters, and daughters.

 

Again, at the end of the day it would be a struggle to work up any passion one way or the other about this video, but if my daughter was considering Greek life, I would hope something like this would give her reservation rather than increased interest.

I think it's funny we have a thread teetering on three pages arguing over a controversial/offensive video that no one in the thread finds controversial or offensive.

I was hoping to have some good statistical data to provide that they are more than what is show in the video, but then they went and had the worst GPA for sororities at Alabama for both Fall 2014 & Spring 2015.

 

For the Spring, they were well below the All Sorority Average, All Women Average, and were even below the All Undergraduate Average (something you don't see often for sororities).

 

And the only chapter below a 3.0. So much for that lol

 

2015-08-18_1137.png

 

Looking at the Total Numbers of members, they are on the smaller end (hard to say with 300 members).

I can't believe they have more than 300 members. Now we know why they didn't show themselves in the classroom in the video

I was hoping to have some good statistical data to provide that they are more than what is show in the video, but then they went and had the worst GPA for sororities at Alabama for both Fall 2014 & Spring 2015.

 

For the Spring, they were well below the All Sorority Average, All Women Average, and were even below the All Undergraduate Average (something you don't see often for sororities).

 

And the only chapter below a 3.0. So much for that lol

 

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51898[/ATTACH]

 

Looking at the Total Numbers of members, they are on the smaller end (hard to say with 300 members).

 

I can't comprehend what it would be like to be in a sorority with 300+ members. I was in a fraternity and during the years that I was there we probably averaged about 75 members. Even then you really didn't know everyone that well. I guess with 300+ you would probably not even always recognize everyone if you were to pass by them on campus. That just seems to large to me to form the same close knit bonds that you can with a smaller group.

My fraternity ran 50-75 while I was in school. I can't imagine 300.

I can't believe they have more than 300 members. Now we know why they didn't show themselves in the classroom in the video

 

Greek Life in SEC Country is stupid big.

These women may be the worst of the worst of humans and the way they treat others, but just based on this video there isn't anything that you can't see at any college any weekend.

 

Unfortunately I disagree. I spent 4 years at the University of Evansville. Never saw anything going on like what is show in the video.

 

#ShouldhavewenttoBama

By definition, of course.

 

Then by definition every athlete/actor/actress/musician/model is objectified in some way or another.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.