Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Sorority Recruitment Video Objectifying?

Featured Replies

They pay significant $$$ for dues each semester. I'd say they can have whoever they want in their club.

  • Replies 101
  • Views 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am trying to figure out what stereotypes they chose to not include in this video.

 

All white? Check

Pretty girls only ? Check

Big blonde hair? Check

Mansion? Check

Booty shot? Check

Bikini bodies? Check

Blowing kisses? Check

No fat girls? Check

 

That's almost a clean sweep of stereotypes. BMWs must have been in the shop that day.

 

And for the record, it's a private organization so they can do what they want and will get no ill will from me. This, though, doesn't help the image of sororities.

 

How could it hurt? This is exactly what most people expect to see from sororities.

I guess it depends on your definition.

 

When the emphasis of the video is looks and bodies that qualifies for me.

 

The emphasis was on girls having fun at college with all their friends. Girls wear bikinis in college, that was only a small part of the video. I wouldn't consider that the emphasis.

They pay significant $$$ for dues each semester. I'd say they can have whoever they want in their club.

 

Who is saying otherwise?

Everyone is so offended...

 

Its the sorority's video, let them make it how they want! #TSM

 

Agreed. They can do what they want. 99.9% of the population agrees with that obvious statement.

 

I don't think that's what is being debated.

I must be missing something in the video...

 

What part was objectifying women?

 

I agree, it would be different if this was made by the University, a Fraternity or some outside group, but this was made by the women of this sorority to show off what they think are the best attributes of being in a sorority.

 

These women may be the worst of the worst of humans and the way they treat others, but just based on this video there isn't anything that you can't see at any college any weekend.

Who is saying otherwise?

 

You're going on and on about all the stereotypes in the video. Who cares? That video didn't take shots at anyone. I see nothing wrong with it.

I guess it depends on your definition.

 

When the emphasis of the video is looks and bodies that qualifies for me.

 

Just like whites can't tell blacks what they should be offended by, men shouldn't tell women what they should and shouldn't be offended by.

 

If any of those women were forced to participate it would be a whole different thing, but I'm betting they were fighting to get in that video. They seem to be proud of who and what they are portraying themselves to be.

You're going on and on about all the stereotypes in the video. Who cares? That video didn't take shots at anyone. I see nothing wrong with it.

 

I pointed out that the video does nothing but perpetuate stereotypes. I would think in 2015 women would want to promote more than their blonde hair and bikini bodies.

Just like whites can't tell blacks what they should be offended by, men shouldn't tell women what they should and shouldn't be offended by.

 

If any of those women were forced to participate it would be a whole different thing, but I'm betting they were fighting to get in that video. They seem to be proud of who and what they are portraying themselves to be.

 

Offended is in the eye of the beholder. Yes, I am speculating on some women being offended. The question was asked how this video objectifies women. I answered it. It does and many of the posts in here support that.

I pointed out that the video does nothing but perpetuate stereotypes. I would think in 2015 women would want to promote more than their blonde hair and bikini bodies.

 

It was a rush video to get other girls to join the club. They portrayed it the way they thought would be best to get more members.

Let's be real. People are saying you should be offended (I don't believe anyone is offended) because the girls are good looking, all white, and showcasing their bodies.

 

That is just life. If you can't teach your son or daughter that they may go through life not always being included then that is bad parenting. Sorry to ruffle feathers. And no, I am not a parent. If it is a teachable moment to call out this sorority, it should equally be as teachable of a moment for others that think they should be offended for watching something soooo horrific. Get off your soapbox, be proud of what you got, and excel in other places. We are not meant to be equal with looks or brains.

I pointed out that the video does nothing but perpetuate stereotypes. I would think in 2015 women would want to promote more than their blonde hair and bikini bodies.

 

I'd be willing to bet that they do a whole lot of promoting the other things they do during their recruitment nights in their house. This video is just a small part of everything that goes into their recruitment process.

 

This video is a hype video to get girls excited and interested in their organization. I can all but guarantee they promoted many other things during their private recruitment nights (usually called parties but I hesitate using that word because those nights are anything but parties).

Let's be real. People are saying you should be offended (I don't believe anyone is offended) because the girls are good looking, all white, and showcasing their bodies.

 

That is just life. If you can't teach your son or daughter that they may go through life not always being included then that is bad parenting. Sorry to ruffle feathers. And no, I am not a parent. If it is a teachable moment to call out this sorority, it should equally be as teachable of a moment for others that think they should be offended for watching something soooo horrific. Get off your soapbox, be proud of what you got, and excel in other places. We are not meant to be equal with looks or brains.

 

You guys keep pointing out the obvious despite no one saying otherwise. I've yet to see anyone say all kids are equal in any way.

 

I've also yet to see anyone say they are offended.

 

Can we move past the obvious?

 

Yes, no one was injured.

Yes, they have the right to do the video.

Yes, they have the right to be in clubs with whom they want.

Yes, they are allowed to show they have fun.

Yes, not all girls are pretty.

Yes, life's not always fair.

 

Any other truths we want to put out here just to say we said them?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.