Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Sorority Recruitment Video Objectifying?

Featured Replies

Unfortunately I disagree. I spent 4 years at the University of Evansville. Never saw anything going on like what is show in the video.

 

#ShouldhavewenttoBama

 

I went to EKU and saw stuff like this and more on an almost weekly basis.

  • Replies 101
  • Views 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
Everyone is so offended...

 

Its the sorority's video, let them make it how they want! #TSM

 

If the Klan made a video attacking minorities, Jews and Catholics, no one should be offended since it is the Klan's own personal video?

 

Not saying this is an apples to apples comparison but I wanted to "stretch" the example to get the point across that just because a group makes their own video and then put it out to the public, just because it is their own video does not take away valid reason to be offended by the content.

 

Saying the above, I found the video more teeny bopper immature and stupid than offensive.

I'd be willing to bet that every one of those girls watches Keeping up with the Kardashians.

I went to EKU and saw stuff like this and more on an almost weekly basis.

 

I'm sure you did, but EKU and UE are not even remotely comparable as far as campus life (or lack thereof).

  • Author
This video does not make these women look like objects that are to be used however anyone pleases. When someone talks about objectifying someone else to me it means they're treated as property or objects to be used, and they're made to not be seen as actual people. This video did none of that.

 

I will give Clyde some credit here. I could see some mothers with teenage sons who have tried to instill into their sons that it is fine to appreciate the attractiveness of the girls her sons encounters and socializes with but don't place all the value of those gals primarily on just their objective looks, go past that and those mothers probably shake their head at this video. This video to a degree places a large emphasis solely on physical attractiveness as what is valued by this sorority and to some degree stretches out to society.

 

On the same hand, that some mother probably hopes her daughter doesn't watch this video and the daughter gets the impression that only by "slutting herself up" (too strong of a phrase but I used it to get the point across) will she be valued by others and less by her character overall.

I was hoping to have some good statistical data to provide that they are more than what is show in the video, but then they went and had the worst GPA for sororities at Alabama for both Fall 2014 & Spring 2015.

 

For the Spring, they were well below the All Sorority Average, All Women Average, and were even below the All Undergraduate Average (something you don't see often for sororities).

 

And the only chapter below a 3.0. So much for that lol

 

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51898[/ATTACH]

 

Looking at the Total Numbers of members, they are on the smaller end (hard to say with 300 members).

 

I have zero doubt there are very intelligent young women in every sorority. Not a doubt.

 

This all gets down to impressions left with their marketing.

It’s something that could have been an opinion piece in the campus newspaper in Tuscaloosa. “Shouldn’t we hold ourselves to a higher standard at our school?” or “Is this how we want to represent ourselves?” or even “Greek life is more interesting and inclusive than how it’s presented here.” That sort of thing. Agree with it, don’t agree with it, whatever.

 

Putting up on a national site smacks of clickbait: “Can you believe people are outraged over this. Click here!” I regret that I did.

Just how, much is tuition at Alabama? I might need to look into this further.:sssh:

I have zero doubt there are very intelligent young women in every sorority. Not a doubt.

 

This all gets down to impressions left with their marketing.

 

Do you have a problem with this video ?

I'm going to keep this video on my laptop to remind myself from time to time how objectifying beautiful young coeds is a baaaddddd thing. And how I'm a baaaddddd boy for even watching.

Couldn't make it through the whole thing, I must be getting old.

If the Klan made a video attacking minorities, Jews and Catholics, no one should be offended since it is the Klan's own personal video?

 

Not saying this is an apples to apples comparison but I wanted to "stretch" the example to get the point across that just because a group makes their own video and then put it out to the public, just because it is their own video does not take away valid reason to be offended by the content.

 

Saying the above, I found the video more teeny bopper immature and stupid than offensive.

 

I get what you are saying and fully agree. A video that directly attacks a group is wrong. I do not see that in the Alpha Phi video.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.