2015-16 Winter Outlook

nWo

Actually I think last year was worse than 97-98. Not only did we get the big 18-20 inch snow, but we had a couple of other big snows and a couple of smaller 3-4 inch ones as well. From what I can remember, seems like to me 97-98 we had that big major snow and that was pretty much it.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually I think last year was worse than 97-98. Not only did we get the big 18-20 inch snow, but we had a couple of other big snows and a couple of smaller 3-4 inch ones as well. From what I can remember, seems like to me 97-98 we had that big major snow and that was pretty much it.

This past winter wasn't a El Nino winter. They are comparing this one to the strongest one in the past and that was 1997-98.

I moved to KY in the spring of 1998, and have only seen a couple bad winters since I've been here, and only a few major storms. I hate snow now (specifically driving in snow), but now that I mostly work from home, I kinda want to see a big major snowstorm here. I got to experience the biggest snow ever in Philly right before moving out here (in January of 97, 30+inches), and would like to see another real big blizzard.

This past winter wasn't a El Nino winter. They are comparing this one to the strongest one in the past and that was 1997-98.

True I guess, however I was just comparing severity of the two winters regardless of how/why the circumstances. Gonna take a whopper of a winter I think to compare t last year.

True I guess, however I was just comparing severity of the two winters regardless of how/why the circumstances. Gonna take a whopper of a winter I think to compare t last year.

Last winter in NKY was a mixed bag. Nice snowstorm before Thanksgiving, and some early cold. But December and most of January were pretty mild. Then February, we got blasted. I can take a couple storms and cold as long as it isn't cold and snowy all winter. If I wanted that I could move to North Dakota.

• 2 months later...
nWo......... It's almost 3 months later. How's the winter looking now?

First part of Winter looks to be warm with average precipitation. We shouldn't see the effects of the El Nino to around December. So I'm still looking at January-February period for most of our winter precip to fall. Just off the top of my head the outlooks I used are showing a gradual shift northward of the cold and precipitation from the south towards our area. Where earlier they were showing us being warmer and below average precip. My thinking as of now is we may see some icing in January. 1 maybe 2 ice events. The bottom looks to fall out of the thermometer in February. That is when, I think most of the snow will fall.

I'll update this outlook as soon as any new info comes in.