Any luck finding your morels?

Just Jim

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So where do they grow? Next to trees? In the shade?

In wooded areas. They are soil mushrooms they don't grow on tree bark or dung.

They like moisture, but not puddled water. Best environment is a woody area with a stream that keeps moisture and humidity up.

Elms, ash, and apple trees are best for some reason.

There are thousands of spores per morel, so if you want to spread and keep your crop going. Use mesh bags, like an onion or potato sack to collect your morels. It allows the spores to fall out and repopulate.

I take my fresh catch and rinse them in clean unchlorinated water and pour that in different spots.

Ok here we go. My 2 neighbors and I went on a hunt.

Between us we've got 50 acres.

Here's the haul.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50334[/ATTACH]

That's what a thousand dollars of morels looks like.

39 pounds split 3 ways.

Wow. You had a great day. Impressive.

A Beginner's Guide to Hunting Morel Mushrooms | Field & Stream

image.jpg

Here are two morels in the wild. Notice the pits (in the top photo), the distinctive conical shape, and the way the bottom of the cap (the pitted part) is attached near the bottom of the stem. Avoid the half-free morel (bottom photo), which has a longer stem and a cap that attaches near the top, looking like an umbrella. These mushrooms can cause some people to have cramps or other forms of gastrointestinal distress.

I have never hunted them, but have had them. I usually love mushrooms, but the morels I had I really didn't care for. May have been the way they were cooked or something, I don't know, but would like to try again.

Buddy here at work hunts them. The way he talks he would go out for days and maybe not find any. Seeing picks of the hauls on here seems pretty impressive.

• 11 months later...