Any luck finding your morels?

Just Jim

Mercer County.

We have 18 acres, mostly woods, little stream runs through.

I'm real adamant about using mesh bags to spread spores while I'm walking around.

I also rince my mushrooms in clean fresh water to release spores then go out and pour that in different areas around the woods to help spread more spores.

Bottom pic is about 2 1/2 pounds.

Do you sell them or keep them for yourself? That's a nice chunk of change you got laid out there.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you sell them or keep them for yourself? That's a nice chunk of change you got laid out there.

Typically don't sell them.

Cook with them like crazy during the season, and dehydrate and store a bunch for later in the year.

Tomorrow's menu will be linguinni with morel cream sauce. I'll throw some ramps in it that I found too.

Edited by coldweatherfan

You learn something new every day. Never heard of morels before and don't recall ever seeing them. Do they have some special flavor? What is the attraction?

One of the better flavored mushrooms.

Rich woody flavor.

Part of it has to do with the fact that there has been little or no luck growing them commercially. Which makes them seasonal except for dehydrating and storing them.

Last I saw they were over $25 a pound.

You're gonna have to find a stats page on morel mushrooms to fit in this one.

How about this....There's a 1% chance UKMF would ever find a morel, and there's a 2% chance that UKMF would ever eat a morel. What are the odds that UKMF would ever eat a morel that he himself found?

How about this....There's a 1% chance UKMF would ever find a morel, and there's a 2% chance that UKMF would ever eat a morel. What are the odds that UKMF would ever eat a morel that he himself found?

ARe you not a mushroom fan?

Not at all. Can't stand the things. As I've gotten older there are very few foods that I still won't eat. Mushrooms and olives are the two most prominent ones.
Well that makes perfect sense. Because, IMO, these are the cream of the mushroom crop.