Umpire positioning (two-man crew)

Something that i'm not sure about and was wondering since it had a huge impact in one of Brossart's games yesterday. The situation was...bases loaded and two outs. Where should the "bases" umpire be located in this situation and does the home plate umpire have any authority other than home plate. The batted ball ended up being a play at first base on a grounder to third, and it was the bang-bang play at first. I call it a bang-bang play but in my honest opinion (backed up by the reaction on the field and with some opposing teams' fans in the stands) the runner beat the throw by a half step honestly.

The bases umpire made the "out" call that ended the threat from out behind the shortstop.

Let me preface this with the fact that I am not a softball umpire.

With that, I'll use baseball to answer your question.

Any time there is a runner on 2nd or 3rd the field umpire is in the "C" position with is the third base side of the mound. Field ump has all calls in the infield so he/she would have the bang/bang at first base.

The HP umpire NEVER has authority over a call. If it's simply a matter of did the throw beat the runner the HP ump would never be involved. The ONLY time the HP ump would get involved is IF the throw potentially pulled the first baseman off of the bag. NOTE: He/She would ONLY give an opinion if asked by the field ump. The coach asking what he saw SHOULD garner no response other than "it's his call, coach."

Thanks! Due to the small size of the infield in softball, i'm sure the positioning of the field umpire would be behind the infielders instead of where they'd usually be for baseball. Bases being only 60-ft, the home plate umpire was much closer to the play to "hear" the ball-in-the-glove-and-foot-to-the-base impacts. Thanks for the baseball clarification of the positioning.

Overall, the umpiring crews that had our games in the Madison Central tournament were very good and very consistent IMO.