Greenup County has tied a KHSAA state record

With their 2 shout out wins today, Greenup County has tied a KHSAA state record with 5 consecutive shut outs. They are tied with

Eastern, 2005 and

Madisonville-North Hopkins, 2001

We'll see if they can break the record next week and stand alone at the top of the record books.

Here is a clip from Ashland Daily Independent about Greenup Co tying the record:

They’re not the 1995 Atlanta Braves’ starting pitchers, even though Greenup County head coach Greg Logan likened Christian Wireman to a “right-handed Tom Glavine.”

Nonetheless, the Musketeers’ five are becoming quite a force, it seems, in the area.

The shutout string reached five over the weekend, putting Greenup County in a tie with Madisonville-North Hopkins (2001) and Eastern (2005) for the best such streak in the KHSAA record book. The Musketeers are scheduled to go for No. 6 tonight at home against Fleming County.

So, what is Greenup County’s 2015 version of Greg Maddux, Glavine, John Smoltz, Steve Avery and Kent Mercker?

Tristan Downing, Jaxon Keeton, Ethan Coldiron, Zach Hayden and Wireman each tossed complete, no-run outings since Tuesday. Only two of the five were five-frame games, which puts the current scoreless innings streak at 31 — during which time Greenup County has committed only one error.

Tristan Downing pitched last Tuesday vs Raceland for GC so I'd assume he will be pitching tonight against Fleming Co since the other 4 have all pitched since Thursday last week. I know defense plays a lot in this record as well but with the youth of these guys, Downing and Keeton being Sophmores and Coldiron, Hayden, and Wiremean being Juniors, if they break the record tonight that would be an amazing accomplishment, at least IMO...

Well, I was wrong in predicting that Tristan Downing would pitch for Greenup Co last night vs Fleming Co. Instead GC started Freshman Kyle Gammon. I believe it was Kyle's first start of his HS career. What a time to get your first HS start, trying to get your team alone in the KHSAA record books. Kyle pitched well but the shutout streak was over just 2 batters into the game. The FC lead off batter hit a single to LF followed by a double in the gap by the FC #2 hitter to score the FC player from 1st base. The kid who hit the double ended up scoring in the 1st inning as well but GC went on to win 19-2. The 2 hits from the first two batters mentioned above were the only 2 hits that Fleming Co had the entire game so pitching and defense was still very strong for GC.