Greenup Co basketball - Merle Kidwell joins as Asst Coach

Ha Ha you are so funny. IF getting on 1 coach is crying a lot, I guess I`m a cry baby then. You got me. You don't even know me , and have me figured out. If we all could only be as smart as you Spindoc.

I think I've got you figured out. You're the guy who thinks he understands the game better than the coaching staff. Ive been on this board for a long time. Every so often the coach bashers will come along. Right now, you're in pole position. I just hope maybe your son occasionally hears "work hard, play hard, enjoy the game". But why do I get the feeling that all he hears from you is how awful the coach is. And you're only the latest in a long line of parents of that ilk from GC. It's a lifestyle. If the last name of the coach isn't Ward he's no good.

But you keep doin you. You are at the minimum, very entertaining.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am pretty sure that all coaches are given year to year contracts. I have never heard of a coach at the high school level in this state being given a "4 year contract" or anything like that. They are extracurricular positions are have no relationship to anything else.

The only people that I know that get contracts that involve more than one year are superintendents.

I am pretty sure that all coaches are given year to year contracts. I have never heard of a coach at the high school level in this state being given a "4 year contract" or anything like that. They are extracurricular positions are have no relationship to anything else.

The only people that I know that get contracts that involve more than one year are superintendents.

ASHPanther23 is correct. Only a one-year contract for a coach. As for a "promise" of 4 years, well if he goes winless in year one, that promise will be long forgotten.

ASHPanther23 is correct. Only a one-year contract for a coach. As for a "promise" of 4 years, well if he goes winless in year one, that promise will be long forgotten.

You would think 7 wins 1st year, 13 in 2nd , and 12 in 3rd would get him fired but it hasn't yet. So who knows.

I do not know the situation at Greenup County. However, there are coaches who have done tremendous jobs with teams that have only won 7 games or 12 games etc. If a team had 5 win talent and they win 7 or has 9 win talent and wins 12 he has done a great job. Sometimes the schedule plays into the final won loss record. I have seen two similar talented teams and one team won 16 games and one team won 8. So the 16 win team coach is much better? But when you look at the two schedules of the two teams the 8 win team played a very tough schedule and 16 win team played a very weak schedule. Again while I do not know the situation at Greenup, I think it is dangerous to say we only won X number of games so we need a coaching change.

I do not know the situation at Greenup County. However, there are coaches who have done tremendous jobs with teams that have only won 7 games or 12 games etc. If a team had 5 win talent and they win 7 or has 9 win talent and wins 12 he has done a great job. Sometimes the schedule plays into the final won loss record. I have seen two similar talented teams and one team won 16 games and one team won 8. So the 16 win team coach is much better? But when you look at the two schedules of the two teams the 8 win team played a very tough schedule and 16 win team played a very weak schedule. Again while I do not know the situation at Greenup, I think it is dangerous to say we only won X number of games so we need a coaching change.

I fully understand that, the 1st year they where young and new coach. 2 and 3rd year not so much, there was talent and the schedule was not overly strong ,but not week. I`m not saying Greenup was a top 10 team in the state , but definitely was better than 13 and 12 win seasons. Last year was a top 3 preseason pick in the 16th , and won 12 game`s . If Greenup had no talent there wouldn't be much to say. There should be a lot more wins, 32 wins in 3 years with talent in MOP means coaching change. Case in point , I thought Lewis Co coach Hampton should have got 16th coach of year, and they only won 11. Not much talent at all and won a few big games . And I didn't think coach Biggs should have been let go from Ashland after 1 really bad season, best player hurt almost all year and really other than Villers not much. Plus Ashland plays a pretty tuff schedule. So I`m not just coach bashing or mad cause he didn't my son wrong , my OP he is a very bad coach.

Explain to me what exactly has Kidwell done in his coaching career that excites the GC crowd about adding him to your staff? This is not a knock on Kidwell personally, but the reality is his track record aside from a good run as the Lady Devils coach is not exactly earth shattering. It seems that GC's program overall is still living under the spector of it's past and can't seem to find a true program builder. Of course being that the parental influence in the fanbase seems to want to run off anyone who takes the reigns. The reality is maybe Coach Ward deserves a badge of honor for being able to survive about 2 decades in the insanity that is GC Basketball. I wish the best to my friends in GC, it would be great to have GC as a top notch program again.

Explain to me what exactly has Kidwell done in his coaching career that excites the GC crowd about adding him to your staff? This is not a knock on Kidwell personally, but the reality is his track record aside from a good run as the Lady Devils coach is not exactly earth shattering. It seems that GC's program overall is still living under the spector of it's past and can't seem to find a true program builder. Of course being that the parental influence in the fanbase seems to want to run off anyone who takes the reigns. The reality is maybe Coach Ward deserves a badge of honor for being able to survive about 2 decades in the insanity that is GC Basketball. I wish the best to my friends in GC, it would be great to have GC as a top notch program again.

First not trying to run every coach off. There where a few in the past that I would like to have seen stay. Jeff Nickel for one, he`s doing a great job with SSU girls. And had a pretty good year at Greenup. Harold Tackett needs all the help he can get, so having coach Kidwell come is something to be happy about. Kidwell knows the game and if Tackett will listen , it can only help. I think a lot of the hype is just hope , that it will get better. Maybe even a winning season.