Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Calling the Highlands baseball team "Dirty Birds" is a GROSS understatement

Featured Replies

Assuming that there is a culture of bullying at Highlands because of the way some posters on an obscure message board are responding.

 

I didn't assume it I just questioned if it existed based on the way many Highlands people here are downplaying this incident (they're kids, they made a mistake, no one was really hurt etc.) and decrying the amount of activity in this thread.

  • Replies 1.1k
  • Views 154.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sure it does. If the family files a criminal complaint with the Campbell Co. District Attorney. This was a school sponsored trip. The school lies within his jurisdiction.

 

Don't believe that has any bearing in a criminal complaint. Regardless it sounds like the family just wants to move on.

I didn't assume it I just questioned if it existed based on the way many Highlands people here are downplaying this incident (they're kids, they made a mistake, no one was really hurt etc.) and decrying the amount of activity in this thread.

 

Many? I'm not keeping count but it seems like a very few to me. Some of the ones who don't think it's a big deal are not associated with HHS which may make it seem like more.

Don't believe that has any bearing in a criminal complaint. Regardless it sounds like the family just wants to move on.

 

Again, just an outsider here watching how this plays out.

 

My educated guess is that the athletic department wants to move on as well.

The people who have spoken to me about this have not downplayed it. Rather they are upset with Administration's response.

 

Which also speaks volumes about there possibly being a culture of acceptance. If the administration feels a light punishment is appropriate and they feel the need to re-classify the behavior (how ironic is it that harassment is now considered less serious then bullying?) what does that say?

Many? I'm not keeping count but it seems like a very few to me. Some of the ones who don't think it's a big deal are not associated with HHS which may make it seem like more.

 

OK, I'll stand corrected on that point.

Which also speaks volumes about there possibly being a culture of acceptance.

 

I can't speak to that. I can just say what the general consensus is of the people who spoke to me about this particular incident.

Again, just an outsider here watching how this plays out.

 

My educated guess is that the athletic department wants to move on as well.

 

My guess as well. Before I get pilloried THIS IS SUPPOSITION ON MY PART. What do you bet that the morons that did this are seniors? (And I REALLY hope they read this thread) The admin gives them a little wrist slap and assures the parents that this behavior will not be tolerated. Since the idiots will be gone next year they encourage the victim to rejoin the team NEXT YEAR when stupid ones have graduated. Win, win. Admin can say they punished the fools AND made sure the other young man was welcomed back, he just has to wait a year.

Don't believe that has any bearing in a criminal complaint. Regardless it sounds like the family just wants to move on.

 

And NC has a specific law against hazing, which this would fall under.

 

As to your second comment, sounds like many Highlands supporters wants to just move on too.

Again, just an outsider here watching how this plays out.

 

My educated guess is that the athletic department wants to move on as well.

 

Agreed, and the administration.

 

I don't agree with just letting it go because of the wrong message I believe the soft punishment sends; the only compelling reason I've heard is that the victim wants to just move on. As some one who has been in that position I can certainly understand and respect that.

And NC has a specific law against hazing, which this would fall under.

 

As to your second comment, sounds like many Highlands supporters wants to just move on too.

 

Right, NC is where the action would have to be brought, not Campbell Co.

I can't speak to that. I can just say what the general consensus is of the people who spoke to me about this particular incident.

 

Same here, many more upset with the light punishment than not in our circle.

Agreed, and the administration.

 

I don't agree with just letting it go because of the wrong message I believe the soft punishment sends; the only compelling reason I've heard is that the victim wants to just move on. As some one who has been in that position I can certainly understand and respect that.

 

I definitely understand that but I still question the message that has been sent. This young man appears to be taking the high road. Good for him.

 

The buttheads that did it to him should also have baseball taken from them as it was taken from him.

Agreed, and the administration.

 

I don't agree with just letting it go because of the wrong message I believe the soft punishment sends; the only compelling reason I've heard is that the victim wants to just move on. As some one who has been in that position I can certainly understand and respect that.

 

The victim wanting to move on doesn't explain the weak as can be punishment though.

Wow - just went back and read some of the tweets directed to Tricia Macke for reporting it. Oh my. The responses of some of these kids to her is truly sad. Worst one IMO, I saw is from a kid who looks to be a baseball player from another school, who simply said 'He's soft' Assume he is referring to the victim. Dang this is sad. Truly sad.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.