Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Calling the Highlands baseball team "Dirty Birds" is a GROSS understatement

Featured Replies

I am not familiar with twitter, can it even be monitored by a school or is it like facebook where you can open access to only certain people?

  • Replies 1.1k
  • Views 154.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
I am not familiar with twitter, can it even be monitored by a school or is it like facebook where you can open access to only certain people?

 

Same, individual accounts can either be public or private and I believe most kids want to be heard so their accounts are public.

I am not familiar with twitter, can it even be monitored by a school or is it like facebook where you can open access to only certain people?

Google anyone's name and add Facebook or twitter and odds are you will find their account.

So Highlands should ignore the additional bullying of the victim?

 

This comment isn't personal NamecipS but it seems to me that this kind of thinking is why bullying is so prevalent and just further evidence (if Highlands stands tough and says nothing else on this matter - rolling eyes here) that Highlands dropped the ball.

 

Maybe I should have worded it in a different manner.

 

If no one comes forward to complain about the comments on Twitter, is it the school's responsibility to monitor/police the comments?

 

I know I monitor what my son does on all the social media sites, but would only expect the school to get involved if there was a complaint against something he said or posted.

  • Author
Maybe I should have worded it in a different manner.

 

If no one comes forward to complain about the comments on Twitter, is it the school's responsibility to monitor/police the comments?

 

I know I monitor what my son does on all the social media sites, but would only expect the school to get involved if there was a complaint against something he said or posted.

 

Unless Highlands wants to add to the excellent case study they are building on handling a bullying complaint yes the comments need to be monitored.

 

In general terms, you can only bury your head in the sand so long.

Right, NC is where the action would have to be brought, not Campbell Co.

 

Not necessarily.

If the coach wants harsher punishment than the AD, I believe the coach should bench the kids. IMO I do not think the guilty parties deserve to wear the uniform, but if the AD and administration of the school says they allowed to, then Coach - make them ride the pine the rest of the year, or until the victim returns.

 

I have always been under the assumption that a high school coach selects and manages his own team...how is a player remaining on a high school team an AD override issue ? Coaches throw kids off teams all the time. Doesn't pass the sniff test to put the kids staying on the team as an AD issue.

Keep quoting NC law since they were not in North Carolina. Another example of making statements without the correct facts.

 

I was going by what 75center had posted. I can look up SC law if you would like.

Not necessarily.

 

Isn't it true only a civil complaint could be filed in KY?

Google anyone's name and add Facebook or twitter and odds are you will find their account.

 

Wow! World is even scarier than I thought.

Unless Highlands wants to add to the excellent case study they are building on handling a bullying complaint yes the comments need to be monitored.

 

In general terms, you can only bury your head in the sand so long.

 

Fair enough.

 

At this point we don't really know if they are or aren't monitoring Twitter. Based on what I've read on here about the Twitter "war of words", it started last night. If they are monitoring it, then wouldn't this fall under the "we'll never know what discipline if any was administered"?

 

If someone is on probation at my place of employment, the rest of the employees don't and shouldn't know the details of what caused that discipline. In the case of students(regardless of age) shouldn't it be the same?

  • Author
Isn't it true only a civil complaint could be filed in KY?

 

Based on what I see on Twitter alone I think a compelling case can be made for criminal action but I don't think that would do much good.

 

I would definitely go civil, everyone understands the value of money.

Isn't it true only a civil complaint could be filed in KY?

 

Maybe.

 

Like I said, since it was a school trip the family could attempt to file a criminal complaint here. Especially now, with what is being posted as continuing bullying. The family would have to consult with the Campbell Co. County Attorney. It would be in juvenile court unless a perp was 18.

  • Author
Fair enough.

 

At this point we don't really know if they are or aren't monitoring Twitter. Based on what I've read on here about the Twitter "war of words", it started last night. If they are monitoring it, then wouldn't this fall under the "we'll never know what discipline if any was administered"?

 

If someone is on probation at my place of employment, the rest of the employees don't and shouldn't know the details of what caused that discipline. In the case of students(regardless of age) shouldn't it be the same?

 

As far as who should know what with kids I am not sure. On one hand it should all be private but on the other hand when the issue is bullying maybe it should be public in case the same perpetrators are bullying other students. Think about it, if the schools really are serious about stopping bullying they should consider sharing who has been disciplined for bullying to protect the innocent.

 

I would say schools monitoring social media is opening Pandora's box but at the same time if this incident goes south ANYTIME in the future and Highlands neglected to collect the additional evidence contained on the some social media accounts that check is going to have a lot of zeros at the end of it.

I have always been under the assumption that a high school coach selects and manages his own team...how is a player remaining on a high school team an AD override issue ? Coaches throw kids off teams all the time. Doesn't pass the sniff test to put the kids staying on the team as an AD issue.

 

I agree with you and was only posting my thoughts on an earlier post that said the Coach wanted harsher punishment and the AD over rode him.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.