Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2015 Top players to lookout for in NKY

Featured Replies

Agree with all these names...

I was a bit baffled that the article didn't include all of the schools in NKY.

I understand you can't list every good player at every school...

But, at least one "key" player should have been mentioned from each school IMO.

 

Article was about-in the opinion of that author-the best players in NKy. It wasn't about the players to watch on every team in the area. He put together a good list. Could more have been added? Sure. Again, danger of compiling lists is someone always gets left out. I am sure another article will come up, a NKy preview, that will run through every team and mention each teams key players.

  • Replies 36
  • Views 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are alot of really good players not on the list but are key players for their teams success in 2015.

Ludlow- Evan Slone, Tyler Lyons, Tyler Durham

Bellevue- Briley Seiter, Nate Arnzen

Brossart- Clay Kramer

NewCath- Zack Pangallo, Grant Moeves, Brandon Gray, Clint Bartels, Nate Enslen

 

 

Just a few names to watch out for!

I would agree these are good players, but a lot of time good players don't get attention if their teams don't perform well. Did any of these teams do well in districts or make regions? Also, These small schools need to have some good wins against some larger schools to get any credit. I think every school that had players listed did good in district play and I think played in regions or better.

Article was about-in the opinion of that author-the best players in NKy. It wasn't about the players to watch on every team in the area. He put together a good list. Could more have been added? Sure. Again, danger of compiling lists is someone always gets left out. I am sure another article will come up, a NKy preview, that will run through every team and mention each teams key players.

 

I can totally buy into what you said here... But if the author's opinion doesn't include a kid like Ziegelmeyer, then he needs to get out to more baseball games and/or do more research.

Again, no argument from me on any of the kids he mentioned, but there were some glaring omissions.

That being said, I'm just glad that baseball season is upon us and people are writing about it.

I can totally buy into what you said here... But if the author's opinion doesn't include a kid like Ziegelmeyer, then he needs to get out to more baseball games and/or do more research.

Again, no argument from me on any of the kids he mentioned, but there were some glaring omissions.

That being said, I'm just glad that baseball season is upon us and people are writing about it.

Ziegelmeyer will be a force this season, but the author's opinion was base on last year's views. Unfortunately, Ziegelmeyer wasn't used in key games where he would get a chance to show out like some of the other juniors did last season, this year I think he will get the chance. Ryle had a down year which doesn't help a player get noticed.

Pangallo is a standout on the field. Problem is he loves being on the court more. He'll probably continue playing basketball instead of baseball in college.

 

I've never seen the kid play on the diamond but I've heard great things. If he's anywhere near the player he is on the hardwood then he's a heck of a player. I loved watching him play basketball. What are his college options so far in terms of recruiting? I know both sports sort of overlap towards the end of basketball season but I wonder if he could attempt to play both in college. If I'm NKU I'd be all over Pangallo offering him the chance to play both sports. Better yet how about Walk on PG at UK and scholarship baseball player, the Cats are going to need some new walk ons beginning next year :ylsuper:

I just found out D1 baseball only offers 11.7 schorships per team of 35 to 37 players. Does anyone know why the number is so low?? Does D1 baseball not generate money?

I just found out D1 baseball only offers 11.7 schorships per team of 35 to 37 players. Does anyone know why the number is so low?? Does D1 baseball not generate money?

 

At 99% of schools baseball is a money loser.

I just found out D1 baseball only offers 11.7 schorships per team of 35 to 37 players. Does anyone know why the number is so low?? Does D1 baseball not generate money?

 

Baseball is no different than most college sports. Really, Football is the only sport where a significant amount of scholarships are available. In the grand scheme of things, there is not a lot of athletic money available, and athletic scholarships make up a very tiny part of money available for college. It's why I tell parents, that for the most part an athletic scholarship in baseball is a pipe dream. Even worse than the low number, is those 11.7 "scholarships" are typically divided up. Each D1 team gets 25 "counters", so those 11.7 scholarships are divided anywhere between 20-25 players. Full rides a few and far between. And the next shocker, is very few players maintain those scholarships for all 4 years. Most lose their scholarship after their junior year. I was fortunate enough to play D1 baseball in college, and learned about most of this stuff the hard way.

 

To answer your question, baseball (and again, most college sports in general) generates very little revenue. A few of the big schools may make some money, but for the most part they are break even at best. Most of the travel, trips etc, are funded by fundraising or other outside sources, especially at smaller schools.

Baseball is no different than most college sports. Really, Football is the only sport where a significant amount of scholarships are available. In the grand scheme of things, there is not a lot of athletic money available, and athletic scholarships make up a very tiny part of money available for college. It's why I tell parents, that for the most part an athletic scholarship in baseball is a pipe dream. Even worse than the low number, is those 11.7 "scholarships" are typically divided up. Each D1 team gets 25 "counters", so those 11.7 scholarships are divided anywhere between 20-25 players. Full rides a few and far between. And the next shocker, is very few players maintain those scholarships for all 4 years. Most lose their scholarship after their junior year. I was fortunate enough to play D1 baseball in college, and learned about most of this stuff the hard way.

 

To answer your question, baseball (and again, most college sports in general) generates very little revenue. A few of the big schools may make some money, but for the most part they are break even at best. Most of the travel, trips etc, are funded by fundraising or other outside sources, especially at smaller schools.

There are some inaccurate statements here. First of all, a D1 school is allowed to have up to 27 "counters" meaning that the maximum number of players that can be on athletic scholarship on a D1 baseball roster is 27. If you are a baseball player on athletic scholarship, the minimum amount that scholarship can be is 25 percent. A D1 school can also have 8 walk ons on the roster for a maximum roster of 35 players. Saying that a kid receiving a baseball scholarship is a pipe dream is not true. Saying a kid receiving a full ride baseball scholarship is a pipe dream would be an accurate statement. Baseball is a partial scholarship sport, but that doesn't mean a kid can't get a very good financial package. This is why academics is extremely important for baseball players. There are certain academic parameters (GPA or ACT score) that if a kid meets will allow him to receive both academic and athletic scholarship money without the academic money counting against the baseball program. If a kid doesn't meet those academic requirements, any academic money he receives from the school also has to be counted against the 11.7 athletic scholarships the baseball program receives. So let's say a D1 school costs 20K a year to attend. A kid gets a 40 percent athletic offer from the baseball program which equates to 8K a year. He also has done his work in the classroom and qualifies for an academic scholarship of 6K per year. He meets the academic requirements so that the academic award doesn't have to count against the baseball program. The kid is going to receive 14K per year in scholarship money meaning he only has to pay 6K a year to attend the school. Essentially the kid is on a 70 percent scholarship. If you add in KEES money for the kid, that could be as much as an additional 1K a year based on GPA and ACT score.

 

Also, saying most players lose their baseball scholarship after their junior year is simply not true. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen for various reasons, but both athletic and academic scholarships are one year renewable. The coaching staff can choose not to renew the athletic scholarship, and the school can choose not to renew the academic scholarship if the kid fails to meet the academic requirements at the school to maintain it. Two of my nephews played D1 baseball. Neither one of them lost their athletic scholarship after their junior year.

There are some inaccurate statements here. First of all, a D1 school is allowed to have up to 27 "counters" meaning that the maximum number of players that can be on athletic scholarship on a D1 baseball roster is 27. If you are a baseball player on athletic scholarship, the minimum amount that scholarship can be is 25 percent. A D1 school can also have 8 walk ons on the roster for a maximum roster of 35 players. Saying that a kid receiving a baseball scholarship is a pipe dream is not true. Saying a kid receiving a full ride baseball scholarship is a pipe dream would be an accurate statement. Baseball is a partial scholarship sport, but that doesn't mean a kid can't get a very good financial package. This is why academics is extremely important for baseball players. There are certain academic parameters (GPA or ACT score) that if a kid meets will allow him to receive both academic and athletic scholarship money without the academic money counting against the baseball program. If a kid doesn't meet those academic requirements, any academic money he receives from the school also has to be counted against the 11.7 athletic scholarships the baseball program receives. So let's say a D1 school costs 20K a year to attend. A kid gets a 40 percent athletic offer from the baseball program which equates to 8K a year. He also has done his work in the classroom and qualifies for an academic scholarship of 6K per year. He meets the academic requirements so that the academic award doesn't have to count against the baseball program. The kid is going to receive 14K per year in scholarship money meaning he only has to pay 6K a year to attend the school. Essentially the kid is on a 70 percent scholarship. If you add in KEES money for the kid, that could be as much as an additional 1K a year based on GPA and ACT score.

 

Also, saying most players lose their baseball scholarship after their junior year is simply not true. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen for various reasons, but both athletic and academic scholarships are one year renewable. The coaching staff can choose not to renew the athletic scholarship, and the school can choose not to renew the academic scholarship if the kid fails to meet the academic requirements at the school to maintain it. Two of my nephews played D1 baseball. Neither one of them lost their athletic scholarship after their junior year.

 

Yes academics are hugely important, and a giant piece needed in order to fill in the leftover for what the baseball money doesn't pay for. And while I might have been a little harsh in saying it's a pipe dream, it's still extremely difficult to get and keep a baseball scholarship for all 4 years. About 1 out of every 11 or 12 high school players play in college, and about 1 in every 4 is a walk on receiving no baseball money. And throw in the fact that many schools don't (or cannot afford to ) allocate their entire allotment, only a very small number actually do get scholarships. So maybe not a pipe dream, but the odds are slim, and it's a basket you shouldn't put all your eggs in. Also, because the money is so limited (on the baseball side), it does cause programs to have to "reallocate" (in other words pull) scholarships to keep the talent coming. And while you're right, it doesn't happen to everyone, it happens to a larger portion than many would like to believe.

I've never seen the kid play on the diamond but I've heard great things. If he's anywhere near the player he is on the hardwood then he's a heck of a player. I loved watching him play basketball. What are his college options so far in terms of recruiting? I know both sports sort of overlap towards the end of basketball season but I wonder if he could attempt to play both in college. If I'm NKU I'd be all over Pangallo offering him the chance to play both sports. Better yet how about Walk on PG at UK and scholarship baseball player, the Cats are going to need some new walk ons beginning next year :ylsuper:

 

I think there is a rule that athletic money must come from the first sport that is played by the student. My memory on this is foggy so maybe someone can clarify it for us. Thanks

How about Whitford at Highlands? Lanky kid with an awesome glove, natural baseball instincts as well as a very tough out at the plate. Any Schools showing interest?

How about Whitford at Highlands? Lanky kid with an awesome glove, natural baseball instincts as well as a very tough out at the plate. Any Schools showing interest?

 

VMI, UNC-Wilmington, and UC.

Good for everyone who made the list, you deserve it for your efforts. People are always left off because there's a cut off between the top, middle and bottom. To say someone should be on a list who was left off sounds like sour grapes. It doesn't mean your not valuable to your TEAM.

I've never seen the kid play on the diamond but I've heard great things. If he's anywhere near the player he is on the hardwood then he's a heck of a player. I loved watching him play basketball. What are his college options so far in terms of recruiting? I know both sports sort of overlap towards the end of basketball season but I wonder if he could attempt to play both in college. If I'm NKU I'd be all over Pangallo offering him the chance to play both sports. Better yet how about Walk on PG at UK and scholarship baseball player, the Cats are going to need some new walk ons beginning next year :ylsuper:

 

He's a better baseball player than he is a basketball player but he loves basketball more than baseball. I'm not sure if he would want to play two sports in college. I think he would rather focus on one at that level instead of two.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.