Inside The 11th Region (2/1/15)

The grinder that is the 11th Region keeps churning, with lots of big games over the past week. As has been the case for most of the season, the rankings have seen some shake-ups. The most noticeable difference is at the top, as Bryan Station, who is on a 7 game win streak, now wears the crown. I was particularly impressed by the Defender’s win over Dunbar, who has been red-hot and who turned around and beat DuPont Manual in Louisville the very next night. As has been the case for most of the season, however, “uneasy lies the head that wears a crown”, and the Defenders CANNOT overlook the importance of a mid-week trip to Georgetown in a week chock full of big games involving 11th Region teams.

Player of the Week - TJ Downey, Lafayette:

Lafayette has had their moments this season. They play a tough schedule, maybe even one of the 15 toughest in the State, and haven’t had any bad, head-scratching losses on their way to some quality wins. Whether it be beating Lexington Catholic, Bryan Station, Henry Clay in recent wins, or showing that they’re a contender in close losses, one constant in their better performances has been the play of junior TJ Downey. TJ had 21 in an 69-60 overtime win over Henry Clay, 18 against Dunbar, and 23 against Scott County.

TJ acts as a spark off the bench, especially on the offensive end. Don't mistake his not starting for a lack of talent, because in his role, he's really like a 6th starter for a team that plays a lot of kids. Offensively he has all the skills you look for: he can shoot the 3, has a nice jump shot, and can take his man off the dribble and score. I think it's fair to say that he's now breaking out because he's now had some time to get comfortable in Lafayette's system and his role in it. At the same time, he could also only be beginning to realize what he can do and playing with the a greater confidence, which has translated into the results we're now seeing.

Team of the Week - Lafayette:

With the emergence of this week’s player of the week, TJ Downey, the Generals join the ranks of my Team of the Week, which so far this season, includes Lexington Catholic (x2), Bryan Station, Dunbar, Lexington Christian Academy, and Henry Clay. The Generals are a bit inconsistent, but I’ll give them some love now that Player of the Week TJ Downey, appears to have emerged and provides a consistent scoring threat to go alongside Ross Jenkins (who had 27 points, 16 boards, and 5 blocks to lead the way against Henry Clay).

With Downey’s providing consistent scoring, the trio of Lucky Jackson, Harrison Lane, and Ross Jenkins becomes even more dangerous, as you can’t put too much focus on any one player without chancing the rest beating you. Throw in Jaelin Jenkins, Jajuante Carpenter, William Watkins, and Cameron Greenup to round things out, and you can see that the Generals have some depth.

While the biggest question right now might be who gets the ball if you have to clear out and let someone go one-on-one and create given that the Generals don’t have an Isaiah Tisdale, Darius Williams, Matt Rose, or Tanner Johnson, they are still dangerous because holding any one player individually to, say, half of their average, doesn’t mean that you are guaranteed to beat them. Consistently inconsistent so far this season, they are definitely a fun team to follow and not someone I’d want to play in a one-off.

Team Rankings:

Tier 1:

1. Bryan Station

2. Lexington Catholic

3. Dunbar

4. Lexington Christian Academy

Tier 2:

5. Lafayette

6. Henry Clay

7. Scott County

8. Madison Central

Tier 3:

9. Woodford County

10. Tates Creek

Tier 4:

11. Sayre (tie)

11. Frankfort (tie)

13. Madison Southern

14. Franklin County

UPCOMING GAMES:

Feb. 3:

Bryan Station @ Scott County

Henry Clay @ Madison Central

Lexington Catholic @ Dunbar

Feb. 6:

Tates Creek @ Dunbar

Scott County @ Henry Clay

Lexington Christian @ Lafayette

Feb. 7:

Dunbar vs. Doss @ Lafayette, Jock Sutherland Classic

Perry County Central @ Lafayette, Jock Sutherland Classic

Wayne County vs. Scott County @ Lafayette, Jock Sutherland Classic

Team Capsules:

#1. Bryan Station:

I’m starting to believe that the Defenders are the best team in the 11th. They haven’t lost since dropping two in a row on January 3rd & January 6th. Since the 59-58 loss to Lafayette on 1/6, the folks of #StationNation have had a lot to celebrate, as they’ve reeled off 7 straight wins, leaving teams such as Lincoln County, Henry Clay, Scott County, and a streaking Paul Laurence Dunbar in their wake during the stretch. The Defenders were led by Andre Davis’ 17, CJ Walker’s 12, and Tequan Claitt’s 10 in the win over Dunbar.

Given the amount of talent they have and the balance that it creates, you have to think that if the Defenders are able to blend in Ronnie Carson while still keeping their chemistry, then they’ll be a force to be reckoned with. Despite what other box scores might have you thinking, Ronnie Carson did play against Dunbar and came off the bench to notch 12 points. I've been told that Carson has shot the ball well so far and has been getting to the line at a nice clip, which is HUGE for Station. At the same time, I've also been told that his conditioning isn't quite where it needs to be yet either.

Also, as an aside, I'm hearing that CJ Walker threw down a NASTY dunk on Darius Williams and Dunbar, so if anyone has video of it and wouldn't mind sharing, it would be greatly appreciated. I've heard from more than one person that it was quite the sight. UPDATE: Thanks to my man PP92 for providing us with a Vine that you can see HERE.

For the Defenders, a big district matchup with Scott County in Georgetown looms on Feb. 3, and I'm going to go ahead and warn Station that they should overlook it at their own peril.

#2. Lexington Catholic:

Lexington Catholic beat Tates Creek 64-42 and demolished Western Hills earlier in the week. Next week will be a greater challenge though, as a return date with Dunbar on Feb. 3 and dates with Madison Central and Lexington Christian Academy on Feb. 10th and 12th, respectively, make up the next portion of the Knight’s schedule, which ends with three out-of-region games against regional contenders Clay County, Lincoln County, and Wayne County.

#3. Dunbar:

Dunbar went on the road and beat Lafayette 66-62 before falling to Bryan Station 68-59. The Bulldogs are hitting their stride and becoming the team that I had picked as my pre-season favorite to win the region. Since mid-January, when the team finally returned to full-strength and had been given a little time to gel, the Dawgs are 4-2. That includes wins over Henry Clay, Boyle County, Lexington Catholic, and Lafayette. The losses coming to a red-hot Wayne County on the road and in 12th Region territory, where they are always tough to beat, by a 59-58 margin, and, as mentioned earlier, the home loss to Bryan Station.

Despite suffering a loss to Station that could have set them back, Dunbar regrouped quickly, beating Manual at the King of the Bluegrass Showcase by an 84-73 final. They were led by Taveion Hollingsworth's 40, and, had I not already given him Player of the Week honors once this season, he might be getting it this week.

The Dawgs are in the midst of one of the toughest stretches in the State, and next week’s slate includes home dates with Lexington Catholic, Tates Creek on Feb. 6, and an intriguing matchup with Doss at Lafayette in the Jock Sutherland Classic the following night.

#4. Lexington Christian Academy:

The Eagles have been at the All A Classic this past week. An easy win over Shawnee in the first round was followed up by a comfortable, yet closer than they probably would have liked, win over Buckhorn in the semifinals. LCA showed quite a bit of resiliency in the semifinal against Newport Central Catholic, trailing by as many as 15 in the first half before cutting the lead to single digits before the half. From there, they fought hard but came up just a bit short in a 55-51 loss.

Still, the combination of Matt Rose, a healthy Drew Trimble, and Kyle Rode, whose play in the NCC game really impressed me, is quite the trio. Add in a still emerging Tre King, and you can see why there’s a lot to like about LCA and the direction that new Head Coach Nate Valentine has their program headed in.

While we're on the subject, and me not caring if you want to call me an 11th Homer, but I think Drew Trimble was deserving of All-Tourney team at the All A. He finished the tournament with an average of 16 and 10, and played well against Newport Central Catholic. He and Rose had two plays late that really made me say "wow"-- Rose with the pull up 3 and Trimble grabbing away a much needed rebound late that caused the commentators to remark "that's a man play!".

#5. Lafayette:

The Generals are a bit inconsistent, but I’ll give them some love now that Player of the Week TJ Downey, appears to have emerged and provides a scoring threat to go alongside Ross Jenkins (who had 27 points, 16 boards, and 5 blocks to lead the way against Henry Clay). You can read more about my Team of the Week in the blurb above.

#6. Henry Clay:

In Isaiah “Pun” Tisdale, the Devils have one of the best players in the region. Tisdale has stepped up and opened eyes in the absence of his older brother Jeremiah, who was widely rated as one of the top players in the 11th before tearing his ACL. The Blue Devils have taken some hits over the past few years, whether it be to defections or injuries, but they’ve found a way to keep surprising people.

While their resiliency isn’t in question, you’d still like to see a little more consistency. Since Jan. 9th, which is a generous point of reference given that Scott County was in the early stages of dealing with the loss of DJ Jenkins, the Devils are 3-5. The wins include the aforementioned Scott County game, a 13 point victory home win over Tates Creek, and a 1 point home victory over Harrison County. While there are a number of losses during that stretch, those came to the hands of Bryan Station by 1, Dunbar by 7, Ballard by 4 in OT, Trinity by 9, and Lafayette by 9 in OT. Given that those losses all came within a two and a half week stretch, you see why I’ll cut them some slack, but at the same time, I don’t know how much higher you can rate them until the L’s start becoming W’s. Regardless, they’ve fought through a brutal stretch and have earned my respect all over again, however, whether or not that translates into another magical postseason remains to be seen.

#7. Scott County:

This is probably a little low for the Cardinals, who actually appear to be recovering from the abrupt loss of DJ Jenkins and putting together a little run of their own. An 11 point road loss to Bryan Station on 1/15 stung, but since, they’ve won 4 straight, including impressive home wins over Lafayette and a red hot Wayne County. Next week will be telling for the Cardinals, as they host Bryan Station and visit Henry Clay in important district games before getting a rematch with Wayne County in the Jock Sutherland Clasic.

#8. Madison Central:

The Indians hung tough through the early part of the season while big man Sam Jones was on the mend. With Jones now back in the fold, the Indians have been back to full strength, but have still been on a bit of a slide. Since Jan 6., the Indians are 3-5, with victories over Dunbar, Southwestern, and Tates Creek, the Southwestern victory on their home floor being particularly impressive. The 5 losses have come at the hands of Holmes on the road, at Woodford County by 5, at West Jessamine, to Lincoln County in 3OT, and to Trinity by 10. There’s still time, but the Indians will need to reverse course and will have to finish more contests if they want to take home the 11th, but there’s still plenty of time to do just that.

#9. Tates Creek:

I think there's just a bit of difference between the Dores and the rest of the teams above them given their record, but Jordan Fucci is one of the best players in the region, Desmond Duke is a bit underrated, and Wayne Breeden can coach. If they're able to get more guys to step up, they could easily pull an upset. As things stand now though, I think they're the #5 seed in a tough district, and it'd be quite a run if they pulled off 3 straight wins against 3 of the 4 of Lexington Catholic, Dunbar, Lexington Christian, and Lafayette, but right now, it's looking as if that's exactly what they'll have to do to win the district.

#10. Woodford County:

Bryan Station narrowly escaped Woodford County last week, which finds themselves moving up in the rankings and into a tier just below the Lexington schools & large area schools in Scott County and Madison Central. But for losses to Madison Southern and Owen County last week, as well as a loss to Frankfort last night, the Yellow Jackets would find themselves even higher, but for now, it's hard to give them much more love.

#11. Sayre (tie):

The Spartans are tied with Frankfort despite beating them in regional play last week in the All A Classic. Both the Spartans and the Panthers are probably better than those outside the region might realize, and each has some kids who can do some things to help you win. Quinn Pergande would start or play a lot of minutes for most any school in the 11th.

#11. Frankfort (tie):

A tough loss to Sayre in the All A is understandable enough, and the Panthers bounced back nicely with a win over Woodford County. They have some athletes, as Jalen Washington committed to play WR for the University of Louisville next season this past week. He, Malik Frank, and Anthony Robinson make up a nice core.

Edited by JokersWild24
Updated link to video of CJ Walker's dunk.

1. Bryan Station

2. Lexington Catholic

3. LCA

4. Dunbar

5. Henry Clay

6. Madison Central

7. Scott County

8. Lafayette

9. Woodford County

10. Tates Creek

11. Frankfort

12. Sayre

13. Franklin County

14. Madison Southern

15. Model

16. Berea

17. Western Hills

Looks good to me too. I think everyone's top 8 are the same teams, different mix. Most of your top 3's seem to be the same with Bryan Station, Lexington Catholic, and LCA at the 1, 2, and 3 spots, respectively.

Lots of parity after that, though I think Dunbar and Henry Clay are going to be in the 4-6 spots, at lowest, for most others.

To kind of put where I was coming from with these into perspective:

I had Lafayette a little higher because of their OT win over Henry Clay, but can also see Henry Clay ahead of them in the 5 spot. I dropped Madison Central because they'd not really been doing it in terms of style points (7 point win over Tates Creek, 1 point win over Boyd County, 5 point loss to Woodford County).

Really, I can see those teams being in any number of combinations. All have played a top opponent (ironically, Madison Central, Henry Clay, and Lafayette all have Trinity scheduled this year, with the former two having played them in their last 2 games). Really tough to get a good read on everyone. Lots of quality teams, tough schedules, and plenty of games between them to beat up on one another.

You've definitely seen more of them play in person than I've had the opportunity to, so I'm going to trust your word on them and always like seeing how mine and yours compare. I definitely look at it as kind of a litmus to see if I'm too far off on anyone.

:thumb:

So let me get this right:

Bryan Station, Scott County and Henry Clay are in the same district as are LexCath, LCA, Lafayette and Dunbar?

Always makes the regional draw interesting. To put it mildly: winners can lose and losers can win.

Regional field doesn't always have the kind of balance you might it's usually Madison Central and Madison Southern/Model/Berea & lately Woodford County and Franklin Co, but Frankfort/Western Hills could take one's place.

That isn't always the best thing for a school like Madison Central though. The 42nd and 43rd have to draw opposite of each other. There's a better chance that they, as a winner, draw the 42nd or 43rd district than they do the 44th's loser (2/3 chance they draw a good loser; 1/3 chance they draw the loser most would think they want).

That also means that in theory, they would have to beat, say Henry Clay, then a Lexington Catholic team who'd just beat Frankfort, then Bryan Station/Dunbar/LCA or whoever comes out of the other side in the finals if they were to win it.

If you are a 42nd or 43rd district team, you could have to win a tough first game of district, play a district final, get to region and face the loser of the opposite Lexington district in Game 1, then Madison Central who just beat the 44th district loser, then whoever comes out of the other side (a team from your own district or the winner/loser from the opposite Lexington District according to how you went into the tourney). Can get really interesting when one or both of the Lexington districts draw each other in the first round as well.

I really think the 11th outcome is one of the most "draw dependent" in the State, especially in a year like this one. Whether or not you win your district really doesn't matter a great deal, or at least to the extent that you see in other regions. One of the two Lexington districts is just as likely to end in an upset as it is not to, so it's not like anyone would be safe if you let them decide today that they were hypothetically going to go in as a winner.

Always makes the regional draw interesting. To put it mildly: winners can lose and losers can win.

Regional field doesn't always have the kind of balance you might it's usually Madison Central and Madison Southern/Model/Berea & lately Woodford County and Franklin Co, but Frankfort/Western Hills could take one's place.

That isn't always the best thing for a school like Madison Central though. The 42nd and 43rd have to draw opposite of each other. There's a better chance that they, as a winner, draw the 42nd or 43rd district than they do the 44th's loser (2/3 chance they draw a good loser; 1/3 chance they draw the loser most would think they want).

That also means that in theory, they would have to beat, say Henry Clay, then a Lexington Catholic team who'd just beat Frankfort, then Bryan Station/Dunbar/LCA or whoever comes out of the other side in the finals if they were to win it.

If you are a 42nd or 43rd district team, you could have to win a tough first game of district, play a district final, get to region and face the loser of the opposite Lexington district in Game 1, then Madison Central who just beat the 44th district loser, then whoever comes out of the other side (a team from your own district or the winner/loser from the opposite Lexington District according to how you went into the tourney). Can get really interesting when one or both of the Lexington districts draw each other in the first round as well.

I really think the 11th outcome is one of the most "draw dependent" in the State, especially in a year like this one. Whether or not you win your district really doesn't matter a great deal, or at least to the extent that you see in other regions. One of the two Lexington districts is just as likely to end in an upset as it is not to, so it's not like anyone would be safe if you let them decide today that they were hypothetically going to go in as a winner.

This isn't true. Two years ago 43rd winner PLD drew 42nd runner up Henry Clay. The only rule is teams from the same district can't face each other again until the finals.

This isn't true. Two years ago 43rd winner PLD drew 42nd runner up Henry Clay. The only rule is teams from the same district can't face each other again until the finals.

True story. Bad wording on my part.

What I was meaning was that the 42nd winner and loser must be in opposite brackets and that the 43rd winner and loser must be in opposite brackets, which kind of splits the quality teams down the middle in terms of what you'll get from the Lexington-Layette and Scott County. That, along with Madison Central being on one side of the bracket, especially when the tournament is at EKU, is kind of what shapes the field in most years.