January 28, 201511 yr Author Sounds like Lynch is going to be facing a "significant fine" for wearing a Beast Mode hat to media day.... I wondered that this morning when my girlfriend saw it on Sportscenter and asked why he had a "B" on his hat. I said he was promoting his "Beastmode" brand probably. And then thought, is he allowed to be doing that.
January 28, 201511 yr I wondered that this morning when my girlfriend saw it on Sportscenter and asked why he had a "B" on his hat. I said he was promoting his "Beastmode" brand probably. And then thought, is he allowed to be doing that. He is not allowed to apparently. It's funny, because it's a New Era hat, and New Era is affiliated with the league.
January 28, 201511 yr Answer the question. Who is your favorite Wu-Tang Clan member and why? ODB because of his production for The Fugees. Method Man is a close second for playing Cheese in The Wire because even though I hated Cheese's character, I respected Method Man's acting skills.
January 28, 201511 yr There was a good article in the USA Today portion of the C-J this morning about the relationship between Lynch and his maternal grandfather. The grandfather says that Lynch has never liked the spotlight and plays for the team. He says that (paraphrasing now) he would not be surprised if Lynch walks away from the NFL if the league makes him do all the P.R. stuff. The article cast Lynch in a much more favorable light for me.
January 28, 201511 yr The outrage over Lynch is funny to me... He's doing exactly what's required of him by the league, and people have called him every name in the book because of his answers. It's stupid that someone that doesn't want to has to talk to the media. There are plenty of guys in the locker room to talk to. Remember a Hall of Fame pitcher for the Phillies named Steve Carlton? He never talked with the media and little was ever said about it, at least not like today's athletes. Can you imagine if Steve Carlton in 2015 REFUSED to talk to the media in the World Series? If I remember correctly, Eddie Murray from the Orioles also hated talking with the media!
January 28, 201511 yr NFLPA is going to bat for Lynch on this, as they should. If nothing else, it's going to set a dangerous precedent if the NFL starts fining players based on the content of their answers. I think it's pretty obvious that Lynch has some anxiety issues when it comes to speaking to the press, and the NFL isn't really helping. If he says something stupid then he gets lit up in the media and possibly fined by the NFL. Say nothing and the media lights him up for it and he gets fined. He obviously doesn't like giving interviews and I don't know what forcing him to do them does to change that. I understand the NFL doesn't want to make exceptions because it becomes a thing where more people start opting out and hurting bottom lines, but this whole Lynch/NFL thing is just to the point of ridiculousness now. I don't buy the anxiety thing for one second.
January 28, 201511 yr I disagree big time with everyone that says he should not have to speak to the media, even as silly as the routine may be. If what he is doing suffices, then so be it, but he is missing the bigger picture. The media is the mechanism by which information is given to the fans that occupy seats and television sets. Those are the folks that pay the multi-million dollar contracts through tv deals and ticket sales. That number greatly diminishes if you want to isolate every player and confine their coverage to strictly what you see on a playing field. Let's see if they are interested in playing for less money at the price of never talking. He possesses a unique talent, but I want to see others in their own life attempt to circumvent organizational guidelines and see how far you make it. Only thing avoiding the media does is allow for more conjuring and speculative journalism which athletes love to already complain about.
January 28, 201511 yr I disagree big time with everyone that says he should not have to speak to the media, even as silly as the routine may be. If what he is doing suffices, then so be it, but he is missing the bigger picture. The media is the mechanism by which information is given to the fans that occupy seats and television sets. Those are the folks that pay the multi-million dollar contracts through tv deals and ticket sales. That number greatly diminishes if you want to isolate every player and confine their coverage to strictly what you see on a playing field. Let's see if they are interested in playing for a lot less money at the price of never talking. He possesses a unique talent, but I want to see others, in their own life attempt to circumvent organizational guidelines and see how far you make it. Only thing avoiding the media does is allow for more conjuring and speculative journalism which athletes love to already complain about. No one cares what the players have to say. The only people who do are media members who think they're important because they cover sports for a living.
January 28, 201511 yr No one cares what the players have to say. The only people who do are media members who think they're important because they cover sports for a living. You know that is wrong.
January 28, 201511 yr You know that is wrong. I don't think it is. If people cared, they'd televise the weekly media interactions so people could watch. They don't because they know people don't give a crap what Marshawn Lynch or Tom Brady or Andy Dalton or anyone else thinks on a Wednesday afternoon. The only time people care is immediately after a game and their thoughts on the game that just transpired.
January 28, 201511 yr The only time people care is immediately after a game and their thoughts on the game that just transpired. That is a lot different than your previous post. And in part I agree via the media conduit.
January 28, 201511 yr Goodell forces Lynch to talk or face severe fines, but the high and mighty commish has denied NBC's interview request for their pre-Super Bowl coverage....Dude is such a loser.
January 29, 201511 yr Remember a Hall of Fame pitcher for the Phillies named Steve Carlton? He never talked with the media and little was ever said about it, at least not like today's athletes. Can you imagine if Steve Carlton in 2015 REFUSED to talk to the media in the World Series? If I remember correctly, Eddie Murray from the Orioles also hated talking with the media! I don't think anyone should ever be MADE to talk to the media. There are plenty of players who WANT to and there always will be. If I remember correctly, early in Carlton's career, he did an interview and thought the reporter did a hatchet job on him so he vowed to never talk to the media again. I don't know if anything like that happened to Lynch but even if it did not, he should not HAVE to talk to anybody. Do the other major sports REQUIRE their players to talk to the media?? I am not sure but I don't remember ever hearing of a baseball or hoops player being fined for not talking to the media.
January 29, 201511 yr Reporters should be eating Lynch up. He's giving them a much more interesting topic than any other cliché answer he'd otherwise give would.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.