Is this a foul?

Walter

From that angle of viewing it appears the guy didn't touch him. I think these refs sometimes anticipate the foul and blow the whistle.

One of the twins had a foul called on him when Ole Miss' Moody took a jumper but replays showed clearly that there wasn't a foul. It happens a time or two in most games. What is aggravating about it, though, is when the same ref permits a player to be mauled on a shot attempt under the basket and calls nothing.

I agree with the Professor on this one. Looks like the ref blew his whistle in anticipation of something happening which ended up not happening. As opposed to football, when officials sometimes own up to an advertent whistle, basketball referees seem to always call something when they blow the whistle.

Not a foul, but in all reality, if we had this view on many games and could slow down film we would all see fouls that did and did not happen.

It was just as obvious in real time. Ref had great position and view and should have been able to see there was no contact.

That is as bad a phantom call as you'll see. Hate the anticipation calls....and they are very prominent. Also hate the refs that "auto call" the travel when stationary players with the ball start to drive...is it just me who thinks this? I also think the overzealous refs impact games much more than participants can allow themselves to believe

Like my brother always tells his players... if the Ref calls it a foul, then its a foul... and if the Ref does not call a foul, then it is not a foul.

This! Had a kid in practice the other night stop in the middle of a drive. Said he double dribbled,I proceeded to light him up telling him never to stop until he hears a whistle.