Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

I'm torn......270 or 30-06.......?

Featured Replies

Looking for a deer rifle......narrowed down to these two calibers........

 

Doubt I would ever be in a position to go for anything bigger than deer, but if I did, I would not think I would be in a position to buy another.........

 

Your thoughts on the two........flatter bullet flight with the 270 but more power with the 30-06.

  • Replies 41
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a lot of difference in those two on deer, IMO. Very similar ballistics and either one will shoot flat out to 300 or so and still have plenty of energy.

 

My favorite rifle was a .270 and I am partial to it.

Not a lot of difference in those two on deer, IMO. Very similar ballistics and either one will shoot flat out to 300 or so and still have plenty of energy.

 

My favorite rifle was a .270 and I am partial to it.

 

I agree with everything 2C said...but I would point out that if you want to look at pure availability, and to some extent cost of ammo...the 30-06 is your gun. Ammo is much more plentiful in this day and age, and the cost of the rounds are nearly the same, even though the 30-06 packs more wallup.

I prefer the 30.06 because I can shoot 150gr and get pretty zippy ballistically speaking, or shoot 180gr and it's like getting hit with a brick. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

To be perfectly honest, 99% of the population will never be good enough to truly appreciate the differences in ballistics of the two. I have a 30-06 and will take shots out to 250-300 yards. At that distance the limitations are because of me not the gun or bullet. Unless your talking about taking shots out to 500+ yards it really doesn't matter. Both are great calibers and both are more them enough gun to hunt bigger game like elk.

 

Both are awesome calibers and you can't go wrong with either.

To be perfectly honest, 99% of the population will never be good enough to truly appreciate the differences in ballistics of the two. I have a 30-06 and will take shots out to 250-300 yards. At that distance the limitations are because of me not the gun or bullet. Unless your talking about taking shots out to 500+ yards it really doesn't matter. Both are great calibers and both are more them enough gun to hunt bigger game like elk.

 

Both are awesome calibers and you can't go wrong with either.

fact
I love my Browning .270

A-bolt?

I'm in the .270 crowd, as far as choosing between the .270 and the 30-06. That being said, all I take to the woods is a 7mm-08 (.284 cal), .270's stay in the rack. All of the above listed are fine for anything up to a Elk. If your thinking moose or big bears in your future, or going to Africa, neither would be my gun of choice. I'd have to go with a magnum. My best advise is, for the hundreds or thousands of dollars you spend on guns and equipment. DON'T BUY CHEAP AMMO. Always buy quality bullets, they are only $10-$15 more a box.

. If your thinking moose or big bears in your future, or going to Africa, neither would be my gun of choice. I'd have to go with a magnum.

 

 

Like the 300 Magnum?

Like the 300 Magnum?

I have a .300 WSM I hunt with sometimes because I have it, certainly not because I need it, around here anyway. It's fun, loud, and abusive

270 I've taken deer, bear with it no problem now it your thinking of elk then it's time to move up but just for Ky 270 will take care of all your needs as far as hunting.

Ive always wanted a .270 (mainly because I saw one that looked cool) but I've been shooting a Savage 30-06 for about 10 years now and wouldn't trade it for the world. I have a lot of friends who shoot .270 and say they wouldn't trade it for the world. So I guess you can't go wrong either way.

Both. But if you must go to just one, go 30-06 for hunting in KY. Lots of hills and brush. Not many long shots.

Bought a 7mag about 30 years ago in hopes of going out west a few times,(that never happened)Love the fact when I shoot a deer i'm going to find it without a whole lot of tracking. My two boys own a 243 and a 7mm08, both great shooting guns but even with a good shot it sometimes doesn't do a whole lot of damage and you run the risk of not finding your hard earned trophy.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.