December 12, 201411 yr How does 7mm compare to 30.06 and .270 in terms of price and availability? I was reading on a blog about the praise someone had of 7mm. He mentioned it doesn't "drop" as much as 30.06 or .270 which made it much easier to hit with better accuracy. I Have a tough time believing that one. My dad shoots a 7mag. I suppose it depends on what you feed it. I don't profess to be an expert on ballistics but I used to shoot on occasion with a fella who was. His weapon of choice was was a 30.06 he built and loads for. Says it had the widest, least expensive options to "fine tune". Of course he had better than 5K in his weapon. Easily enough checked in any number of reloading bibles. I have a Nosler I'll check to verfy.
December 12, 201411 yr How does 7mm compare to 30.06 and .270 in terms of price and availability? I was reading on a blog about the praise someone had of 7mm. He mentioned it doesn't "drop" as much as 30.06 or .270 which made it much easier to hit with better accuracy. Do you mean price of gun or ammo? Price of gun is no different if the model is the same. Remington 700 cost X whether it's a 30.06, 270, or whatever. The ammo is also virtually the same. For example Cabelas has Federal Premium Trophy Bond 30.06 for $35.99 and .270 for $36.99. 7MM mag is $43.99 so it is more expensive. As far as the ballistics, here are 3 examples. I used Federal Trophy Bond factory loads. Tried to get all the same bullet weight but the 30-06 wasn't listed at 140gr. The 7MM flies flatter and has more punch when it gets there. .270 - 140gr 100yrds: - 0.0" - 2705ft/lbs 200yrds: - 3.1" - 2016ft/lbs 300yrds: - 11.6" - 1728ft/lbs 400yrds: - 26.4" - 1473ft/lbs 30-06 - 165gr 100yrds: 0.0" - 2872ft/lbs 200yrds: -3.6" - 2119ft/lbs 300yrds: -13.3" - 1806ft/lbs 400yrds: -30.1" - 1531ft/lbs 7MM Rem Mag - 140gr 100yrds: 0.0" - 3084ft/lbs 200yrds: -2.6" - 2275ft/lbs 300yrds: -10.0" - 1941ft/lbs 400yrds: -22.8" - 1646ft/lbs
December 12, 201411 yr Here is a pretty good ballistic comparison website. You can put in two calibers, with variables, and compare the results, with graphs. It covers every caliber and known bullet that is loaded for each. It doesn't account for hand loads, obviously, but it a great resource. Fun, but a time consumer though. Ballistic Calculator GunData.org
December 12, 201411 yr I will add that if you are looking the .270 or 7MM do yourself a favor and look at the .270WSM. Has better ballistics then any of the 3 I listed above, even the 7MM. And it won't knock your wang in the dirt when you shot it.
December 16, 201411 yr Buying a rifle, especially a first rifle is a difficult choice. All the calibers mentioned will kill a deer with proper bullet placement, proper placement being the key word. Proper bullet placement comes with practice. People tend to shoot/practice more with a gun that doesn't kick as much. In my opinion you should consider the 7mm-08. It will flat out kill a deer at 300+ yds, it's easy to shoot & it will kill elk size animals at reasonable ranges.
December 16, 201411 yr Buying a rifle, especially a first rifle is a difficult choice. All the calibers mentioned will kill a deer with proper bullet placement, proper placement being the key word. Proper bullet placement comes with practice. People tend to shoot/practice more with a gun that doesn't kick as much. In my opinion you should consider the 7mm-08. It will flat out kill a deer at 300+ yds, it's easy to shoot & it will kill elk size animals at reasonable ranges. Is .308/7.62 NATO affective as a hunting round or should that only be used long range target shooting. I ask because I have heard of people using semi auto 308's along with .223's for ferral hog hunts and they say they use the 308 for deer hunting too but just don't see many dedicated deer hunters using those but maybe cost is an issue?
December 16, 201411 yr Do you mean price of gun or ammo? Price of gun is no different if the model is the same. Remington 700 cost X whether it's a 30.06, 270, or whatever. The ammo is also virtually the same. For example Cabelas has Federal Premium Trophy Bond 30.06 for $35.99 and .270 for $36.99. 7MM mag is $43.99 so it is more expensive. As far as the ballistics, here are 3 examples. I used Federal Trophy Bond factory loads. Tried to get all the same bullet weight but the 30-06 wasn't listed at 140gr. The 7MM flies flatter and has more punch when it gets there. .270 - 140gr 100yrds: - 0.0" - 2705ft/lbs 200yrds: - 3.1" - 2016ft/lbs 300yrds: - 11.6" - 1728ft/lbs 400yrds: - 26.4" - 1473ft/lbs 30-06 - 165gr 100yrds: 0.0" - 2872ft/lbs 200yrds: -3.6" - 2119ft/lbs 300yrds: -13.3" - 1806ft/lbs 400yrds: -30.1" - 1531ft/lbs 7MM Rem Mag - 140gr 100yrds: 0.0" - 3084ft/lbs 200yrds: -2.6" - 2275ft/lbs 300yrds: -10.0" - 1941ft/lbs 400yrds: -22.8" - 1646ft/lbs That's why I use a loading bible like Nosler. They have every gr and load and the accompanying ballistics. Can't compare apples to apples when you are looking at a +15gr difference in the .06 vs the others.
December 16, 201411 yr Is .308/7.62 NATO affective as a hunting round or should that only be used long range target shooting. I ask because I have heard of people using semi auto 308's along with .223's for ferral hog hunts and they say they use the 308 for deer hunting too but just don't see many dedicated deer hunters using those but maybe cost is an issue? .308 is more then enough to hunt with. It isn't a popular round for hunters but will do the job. .223 will also work but you have less room for error and not as much of an effective range.
December 16, 201411 yr That's why I use a loading bible like Nosler. They have every gr and load and the accompanying ballistics. Can't compare apples to apples when you are looking at a +15gr difference in the .06 vs the others. Are those averages? In other words, I know in the hand gun world, one brand of .45 ACP may be more powerful (higher feet per second) than another brand's. In 10mm, it is even worse. Remington's Green and Yellow box of 10mm is not much more powerful than similar diameter .40 S&W for many off the shelf brands but if you buy Buffalo Boar or Underwood, their 10mm has ft/lbs comparable to .357 maganum it is so powerful.
December 18, 201411 yr Are those averages? In other words, I know in the hand gun world, one brand of .45 ACP may be more powerful (higher feet per second) than another brand's. In 10mm, it is even worse. Remington's Green and Yellow box of 10mm is not much more powerful than similar diameter .40 S&W for many off the shelf brands but if you buy Buffalo Boar or Underwood, their 10mm has ft/lbs comparable to .357 maganum it is so powerful.No, they will give you the grains of powder for different types of powder and the ballistics with a certain grain bullet. They are remarkably thorough. I used the Nosler when I was loading for my .270 and 30.06. But I'd argue through the range of possible ammo available to be reloaded in the 30.06 that you could apply it through an incredible number of applications. From long range varmints and a bullet closer to 100gr to bigger game and bullets approaching 200gr+. Granted, the OTC ammo you can buy is all in the middle of that range, and that can be said for every caliber really. For instance, if you want to know the corresponding grain of powder you would use if you were loading 140gr BTSP (boat tail spire point) bullets, you could easily find the recommendation. It's pretty cool. Edited December 18, 201411 yr by spindoc
December 18, 201411 yr My apologies for the brief thread-jack, but someday I'll get to put some pictures of my finished muzzle loader. It's currently in year 6 or 7 of building. My uncle has been building Kentucky Long Rifles for about 35 or 40 years now. This picture was taken on 4th of July in 2010. He had just inlet the barrel and the lock. It's been completely built-out to the point of being a functioning rifle now, and he has been working on fine-carvings and engraving it for about 2-1/2 years now. [ATTACH=CONFIG]48151[/ATTACH] I'd recognize that face anywhere.
December 18, 201411 yr [ATTACH=CONFIG]48151[/ATTACH] I'd recognize that face anywhere. I'm not sure whether or not these two are related. The resemblance is sure striking though, isn't it? A friend of mine took this fella over the weekend...really nice looking 10 pointer. [ATTACH=CONFIG]47811[/ATTACH]
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.