December 4, 201411 yr Without a doubt 7mag has some serious knock down, had one. As far as not finding your quarry while using 7-08, I shoot 140 grain Nosler Trophy Grade. 4-5 inches above the heart, normally, either drops them, or makes for a short recovery in my experience. With a .243 you can be shooting a light grain bullet. To the topic though, you're good with which ever you choose.
December 4, 201411 yr Without a doubt 7mag has some serious knock down, had one. As far as not finding your quarry while using 7-08, I shoot 140 grain Nosler Trophy Grade. 4-5 inches above the heart, normally, either drops them, or makes for a short recovery in my experience. With a .243 you can be shooting a light grain bullet. To the topic though, you're good with which ever you choose.I've said it here before, the most accurate rifle we own is a youth model 700 in 7mm08. It is almost annoying, considering the $ I've spent on higher grade rifles. It doesn't matter what you put in it, at 200yds you can cover em with a dime. We usually use a 140gr partition out of it when in the woods.
December 5, 201411 yr I think some are either expecting too much from their gun or do not understand what happens when an animal is hit by a bullet or arrow. If you want your animal to drop in its tracks every single time shot it in the head or spine. Otherwise there is a very good chance your animal will run some distance before piling up. Some times they do drop from a heart shot but even then I've seen them run 50-60 yards, sometimes further. I shot a buck a few years ago from 16 yards with my 30-06, perfect shot, double lung, may have gotten top of heart, and the dang thing ran close to 100 yards. This year, exact same gun, my buddy shot a doe at 200 yards, again double lung, it dropped where it stood.
December 5, 201411 yr Author Thanks for the answers so far....however.....just bought a muzzle loader (Merry Christmas to me) because of the deal......so the 270 vs 30-06 decision may be pushed back to birthday........
December 5, 201411 yr Thanks for the answers so far....however.....just bought a muzzle loader (Merry Christmas to me) because of the deal......so the 270 vs 30-06 decision may be pushed back to birthday........ Well, what did you get? TC Encore? What?
December 5, 201411 yr Well, what did you get? TC Encore? What? My apologies for the brief thread-jack, but someday I'll get to put some pictures of my finished muzzle loader. It's currently in year 6 or 7 of building. My uncle has been building Kentucky Long Rifles for about 35 or 40 years now. This picture was taken on 4th of July in 2010. He had just inlet the barrel and the lock. It's been completely built-out to the point of being a functioning rifle now, and he has been working on fine-carvings and engraving it for about 2-1/2 years now.
December 7, 201411 yr Author Well, what did you get? TC Encore? What? Ok....went inexpensive thinking if the muzzle loading bug bites me I can upgrade and hand down this one to the kid.... So. Got a new blue barrel CVA Wolf from Walmart (on sale and then discounted the display model in great shape)......$125.......then went to Dicks and found the Simmons standard scope which normally sells for 49.99 on sale for 39.99 AND a $30 mail in rebate......so the scope was 9.99.....add mounts and I am all in with scope minus rebate for $160.00. And Dicks bore sited it for me..... Dicks sells this combo for $249.99 but was out of stock......I am happy with this.
December 8, 201411 yr Author Sited in the gun today.......extremely happy ......if you need a scope 3x9x40........and price is your main concern....it took 4 shots to get it dialed in..... Again, after the sale price and mail in rebate...$9.99 cost to me......Simmons from Dicks
December 8, 201411 yr Sited in the gun today.......extremely happy ......if you need a scope 3x9x40........and price is your main concern....it took 4 shots to get it dialed in..... Again, after the sale price and mail in rebate...$9.99 cost to me......Simmons from Dicks That's the muzzleloader my dad has. He likes his too.
December 9, 201411 yr Author That's the muzzleloader my dad has. He likes his too. We will see what happens this weekend.........if I come up empty, I'm sure it will be the "new gun's fault" :thumb:
December 9, 201411 yr We will see what happens this weekend.........if I come up empty, I'm sure it will be the "new gun's fault" :thumb: It's always the arrows, never the indian!
December 9, 201411 yr Just for future reference, was watching one of my gun shows several weeks ago...watch more for the handgun stuff than the long guns. Anyway, had a segment on there about the 7mm mag. Point of the segment was, if you are torn or not sure what to get in terms of a hunting rifle, get a 7mm mag and you will be perfectly happy. Kind of described it as the "do all, and does all pretty well" round/rifle. I don't have one so I can't speak about it, but if/when I go rifle shopping again, I will seriously give the 7mm mag a look.
December 9, 201411 yr Just for future reference, was watching one of my gun shows several weeks ago...watch more for the handgun stuff than the long guns. Anyway, had a segment on there about the 7mm mag. Point of the segment was, if you are torn or not sure what to get in terms of a hunting rifle, get a 7mm mag and you will be perfectly happy. Kind of described it as the "do all, and does all pretty well" round/rifle. I don't have one so I can't speak about it, but if/when I go rifle shopping again, I will seriously give the 7mm mag a look. Very good cartridge. Kicks like a freaking mule though.
December 11, 201411 yr Very good cartridge. Kicks like a freaking mule though. And I would add that if you don't like guns that kick and you are a flincher than don't get a 7mag.
December 11, 201411 yr Very good cartridge. Kicks like a freaking mule though. How does 7mm compare to 30.06 and .270 in terms of price and availability? I was reading on a blog about the praise someone had of 7mm. He mentioned it doesn't "drop" as much as 30.06 or .270 which made it much easier to hit with better accuracy.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.