Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

"We Played Four White Guys And An Egyptian"

Featured Replies

Debate team coach says I tried to keep this debate close by putting in four black guys. Offensive?

 

There were 4 black guys.

 

Is it true?

 

I know it's offensive. I was being facetious. However, we all know it's the stereotype. Those guys have probably been called "GPA guys" and "token white guys" since they arrived.

  • Replies 74
  • Views 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would it be a big deal if the golf coach said he played 4 black guys and a Mexican in order to keep from blowing out an opponent?

 

Is the golf coach black?

Debate team coach says I tried to keep this debate close by putting in four black guys. Offensive?

 

There were 4 black guys.

 

Is the debate coach black?

Saying this joke by Pitino is racist makes statements on BGP about how articulate I am just as racist.

 

Is it a joke or not? Can't have it both ways.

Personally I don't have a problem with it, but I'm not hypersensitive. With that said, Rick knows (or should know) better than to say something like that. Generally speaking, you're better off leaving race out of an interview (even if the underlying statement is true).

Saying this joke by Pitino is racist makes statements on BGP about how articulate I am just as racist.

 

Is it a joke or not? Can't have it both ways.

 

Well spoken post.

How do you define the term?

 

As Black on White or White on Black (or any other cross-race combo you choose) "crime"....

I think people react differently to a " slur" depending on whether the party to be demeaned is in a traditionally minority or majority group. Since Pitino said "white guys", I don't think it is that big of deal, although he now probably regrets trying to be funny in that manner.

He's implying that Whites and Egyptians are his weakest option, right?

 

Yep. He can say that. He's white.

What about the poor Egyptian guy? Egypt is not known for their basketball either and now he's lumped in with the "4 white guys".

What about the poor Egyptian guy? Egypt is not known for their basketball either and now he's lumped in with the "4 white guys".

 

He's only a Freshman... Let's give him time to develop. :lol2:

Yep. He can say that. He's white.

 

Like I said...it doesn't bother me and I now Rick was just joking. But I also knew that he would catch some heat over it.

I think people react differently to a " slur" depending on whether the party to be demeaned is in a traditionally minority or majority group. Since Pitino said "white guys", I don't think it is that big of deal, although he now probably regrets trying to be funny in that manner.

 

I think you made a good point. Our society seems to be more receptive jokes/slurs/etc. toward the majority or powerful and less receptive when it is towards the minority or less powerful, especially when that minority/less powerful has been in its history harmed/belittled/etc. by that majority/more powerful. Is it correct? I don't know, it just seems like our society has gone that direction.

I guess I could see it as possibly being racist if it were a black coach saying this about white players or vice versa...but I don't think Rick is racist against his own race. Much ado about nothing imo.

Well spoken post.

 

:lol2:

:lol2:

Man I love you. :lol2:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.