Ref question?

I put this in b-ball but it is for all ref's....

Would you officiate a game for your alma mater????

Understand I have the utmost respect for officials but here is my thought...

If I was an official there is NO WAY in the world I would ever officiate a game for my alma mater. It wouldn't matter how long ago I had graduated from the school. I would not subject myself and or the officials association to that type of scrutiny.

What are your thoughts?

Right or wrong, it happens all the time. Yesterday's altercations were stupid. They should have never changed the officials. Is there evidence that these guys have cheated in the past? They should have told Morrow to take his paranoia elsewhere.

Right or wrong, it happens all the time. Yesterday's altercations were stupid. They should have never changed the officials. Is there evidence that these guys have cheated in the past? They should have told Morrow to take his paranoia elsewhere.

Last night's situation did cause me to start this thread but I won't speak about that for fear of breaking a BGP rule.

I realize it happens but why would someone subject themselves to this?

I am curious to hear a ref's opinion on this....

What game was this?

The J-Town-Male game.

The gentlemen that signs officials for the Louisville area had no idea those two officials were alumni of Male. He could have easily had assigned 3 guys that graduated from Male to that game. I understand where J-Town is coming from, it would seem a little fishy that they graduated from the opposing team school, but when the officials are out there I don't really think they are gonna cheat for their alma mater. So, are they now gonna have to keep officials out of big games because they are an alumni of one of the schools. What if he/she is the top official in the region but just happened to go to be a graduate. That is ridiculous. You are gonna be punishing officials because of where they graduated. Not fair to them.

I would not want to referee a game for my alma mater. I think I would have a tendancy to be harder on "my school" than the other team just to make sure I was being fair. I know that made no sense...but as a coach I would not want someone who graduated from my school to referee one of our games for the same reason.

I think it is like a father who coaches their own son or daughter. You have a tendancy to expect more from them on the court or field than you do from the other players.

Its all about maturity. In most associations you cant call for your alma mater untill you are "at least" a 10 year vetern; and even still it is very difficult to recieve a "big time" game for your alma mater. But the answer to your question would have to be.,.. YES>

I would not want to referee a game for my alma mater. I think I would have a tendancy to be harder on "my school" than the other team just to make sure I was being fair. I know that made no sense...but as a coach I would not want someone who graduated from my school to referee one of our games for the same reason.

I think it is like a father who coaches their own son or daughter. You have a tendancy to expect more from them on the court or field than you do from the other players.

Wrong.... you would have a deep down spirit for your alma mater to win the game. Whether or not it becomes evident through your calls.... it is a natural feeling. I would not equate it to coaching a son because I coach my son and I do get on him a little more than others but I can tell you if you stuck a whistle in my mouth and told me to go out and ref a District game with my Alma Mater I would probably find myself making less calls against them.... just a fact.

Wrong.... you would have a deep down spirit for your alma mater to win the game. Whether or not it becomes evident through your calls.... it is a natural feeling. I would not equate it to coaching a son because I coach my son and I do get on him a little more than others but I can tell you if you stuck a whistle in my mouth and told me to go out and ref a District game with my Alma Mater I would probably find myself making less calls against them.... just a fact.

For the record... what you just gave was an opinion... not a fact.!!!;)

It would be more difficult for me to officiate a game for a school that my children attend. Though most associations probably already have rules about that. I have said to people before that I could never officiate because I don't know if I could be unbiased in some games.

Hats off to the referees that can balance it. I think that a good referee can put his bias away. And if a referee has made it to the regional tournament to officiate that he/she has learned to do this. Although there are some that may slip in because they have been officiating for 20 years and they know everyone and all the coaches vote for him/her.