Travel ball...has it helped or hurt HS softball?

I agree with all of the above...I just hate to see, in my personal experience, a kid get overlooked after playing five years JUST because she didnt' play travel ball...NOT saying this is what is happening, just something that I forsee. On the other hand, I have one in another sport, that plays travel but didn't make her HS team...just the way the cookie crumbles i guess. I think I see AAu and travel/club bringing in sooo many younger and younger kids that by the time you are a senior, if you're not a stud, you are yesterdays news:) Unfortunate but true. You can only have so many girls on a team. Also, from my experience, sometimes just because a kid plays travel doesn't mean she's great, or even improved in skills...I've seen girls do great on travel and then come to HS season and fall apart due to different coaching, etc.

My whole point is, I don't think just working hard is enough anymore...coaches WANT girls who play year round and will give preference to that. I just hate to see a kid "penalized" for not being able to, and I think travel ball as a whole (or aau, etc) contributes to that. And yes, varsity is all about winning, but if 90% of your kids are on a level playing field skills wise....I say play as many as you can and give them the CHANCE to succeed:)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree here! And would add, are they really being overlooked because they don't play travel ball? Or are the travel ball players actually better? As a coach, I could care less whether a kid plays travel ball. Every February, we have 9 starting spots open. The players that perform the best in preseason will earn those spots, regardless of just about any other factor. I don't care if a kid spent the entire summer traveling the country and paid $5000 to play all summer ball. If a kid can come in February 15th, is athletically gifted and can pick up a glove and out play the summer baller, she is going to play...period! But that situation is most likely the minority.

Well said, the best 9 play in the field. However I'll add........don't care if you're a senior and you've been on the team for 4 years, also don't care who your mom or dad is.

I agree with all of the above...I just hate to see, in my personal experience, a kid get overlooked after playing five years JUST because she didnt' play travel ball...NOT saying this is what is happening, just something that I forsee. On the other hand, I have one in another sport, that plays travel but didn't make her HS team...just the way the cookie crumbles i guess. I think I see AAu and travel/club bringing in sooo many younger and younger kids that by the time you are a senior, if you're not a stud, you are yesterdays news:) Unfortunate but true. You can only have so many girls on a team. Also, from my experience, sometimes just because a kid plays travel doesn't mean she's great, or even improved in skills...I've seen girls do great on travel and then come to HS season and fall apart due to different coaching, etc.

My whole point is, I don't think just working hard is enough anymore...coaches WANT girls who play year round and will give preference to that. I just hate to see a kid "penalized" for not being able to, and I think travel ball as a whole (or aau, etc) contributes to that. And yes, varsity is all about winning, but if 90% of your kids are on a level playing field skills wise....I say play as many as you can and give them the CHANCE to succeed:)

See I disagree, working hard is enough if you are bettering yourself and skills. If they do nothing then the girl who is doing something is passing them up. It doesn't matter if they are playing club or not. Just my opinion.

Again, I am a high school coach. I could care less whether a kid plays summer or not when I'm assessing the talent and who will take the field. They don't get bonus points for playing summer. In fact, the only reason I know who plays summer is because they talk amongst their friends. I don't even ask. Now, do we recommend they play summer ball...ABSOLUTELY! But that's because we want them playing as much as possible, getting as many reps and looks as they can. It naturally helps them improve. But if you have two kids of equal talent and one kid went and played summer all year and the other played video games, they would both be judged in February exactly the same way. If the travel girl improved, then she most likely wins the spot. If the other girl's natural ability is better (even though the other played all year), I still play the video game player. No one is "entitled" to spots. I have a relationship with most of the coaches in NKY and I don't know any of them that think differently than that. The issue here is, the travel ball player 90% of the time is going to drastically improve and leave the video gamer behind. Then video gamer (who was at the same talent level) doesn't understand why they don't play now and feel like they got overlooked or the coaches don't like them. Let me ask you this...if you have two girls of the EXACT same talent and skill, but one is an 8th grader and one is a SR...who wins the starting job?

Again, I am a high school coach. I could care less whether a kid plays summer or not when I'm assessing the talent and who will take the field. They don't get bonus points for playing summer. In fact, the only reason I know who plays summer is because they talk amongst their friends. I don't even ask. Now, do we recommend they play summer ball...ABSOLUTELY! But that's because we want them playing as much as possible, getting as many reps and looks as they can. It naturally helps them improve. But if you have two kids of equal talent and one kid went and played summer all year and the other played video games, they would both be judged in February exactly the same way. If the travel girl improved, then she most likely wins the spot. If the other girl's natural ability is better (even though the other played all year), I still play the video game player. No one is "entitled" to spots. I have a relationship with most of the coaches in NKY and I don't know any of them that think differently than that. The issue here is, the travel ball player 90% of the time is going to drastically improve and leave the video gamer behind. Then video gamer (who was at the same talent level) doesn't understand why they don't play now and feel like they got overlooked or the coaches don't like them. Let me ask you this...if you have two girls of the EXACT same talent and skill, but one is an 8th grader and one is a SR...who wins the starting job?

8th grader

I would alway cut a senior if they weren't going to play. No point in hanging onto someone who could be out working or doing something else. It's not easy for anyone to sit on the bench, but baseball and softball are really hard. Also hard for moms and dads to watch their kids sit the bench. Always keep the younger kid and cut the older one if they aren't going to play. Time to get on with your life.

I really am shocked that several of you say you would cut a senior over an eighth grader...totally disagree, and not just because I have a senior:) LOL I feel that this player has earned her spot and paid her dues, even if she sits the bench, I can't imagine doing that to a kid that has put that many years in unless she was a horrible player or had a horrible attitude, something along those lines...and some comments reiterate what I said earlier...younger is always getting preference...I think that MS should never take a HS position just because she is younger...

I really am shocked that several of you say you would cut a senior over an eighth grader...totally disagree, and not just because I have a senior:) LOL I feel that this player has earned her spot and paid her dues, even if she sits the bench, I can't imagine doing that to a kid that has put that many years in unless she was a horrible player or had a horrible attitude, something along those lines...and some comments reiterate what I said earlier...younger is always getting preference...I think that MS should never take a HS position just because she is younger...

Just because they played 4 or 5 years doesn't mean they earned anything or because they are a senior. If they can play they can play and if a younger kid is better than a senior and there is one last spot I am taking the 8th grader. That is the problem nowadays people think because you put your time in that you deserve something. I disagree especially when it comes to the varsity level, you play your best or who you think is the best.

Also, I have say I do not agree with middle schoolers playing up in ANY SPORT but KHSAA allows it so it is what is.

What you're talking about is entitlement and there is no room for entitlement in any competitive sport. Where I would alter a little bit from cutting the SR is I would have a sit down face to face with her and tell her EXACTLY where she stands. Then I would put the decision in her hands. I agree she may have done her time. If we haven't cut her by JR year, she has a spot as long as there are enough uniforms and she agrees 100% to her role. Shame on us for not recognizing what we had going into JR year. This is not always the case, but most of the time you know if a JR to be is ever going to be able to contribute on the varsity level.

Now the other thing...no one is saying "just to keep the younger player". What you are hearing and what we are saying is different. We are saying...if that younger player is as good or better, they would opt for the younger player and so would I. If the younger player was just slightly behind the older player, I most likely play the older player. But here's what you have to look in the mirror and ask yourself. How did that younger player get even close in talent, skill and experience than that older player? I would have to say that older player dropped the ball somewhere along the line and didn't work on her game and it has caught up to her. Putting your time in means nothing if someone does the job better.

What you're talking about is entitlement and there is no room for entitlement in any competitive sport. Where I would alter a little bit from cutting the SR is I would have a sit down face to face with her and tell her EXACTLY where she stands. Then I would put the decision in her hands. I agree she may have done her time. If we haven't cut her by JR year, she has a spot as long as there are enough uniforms and she agrees 100% to her role. Shame on us for not recognizing what we had going into JR year. This is not always the case, but most of the time you know if a JR to be is ever going to be able to contribute on the varsity level.

Now the other thing...no one is saying "just to keep the younger player". What you are hearing and what we are saying is different. We are saying...if that younger player is as good or better, they would opt for the younger player and so would I. If the younger player was just slightly behind the older player, I most likely play the older player. But here's what you have to look in the mirror and ask yourself. How did that younger player get even close in talent, skill and experience than that older player? I would have to say that older player dropped the ball somewhere along the line and didn't work on her game and it has caught up to her. Putting your time in means nothing if someone does the job better.

Well said!

I've got a middle school daughter who didn't make the team. She decided to hang up her note from the coach that she was cut to use as motivation. I love the fact that she isn't going to give up and lay down. If this is your daughters SR year, tell her to get after it if she wants it. I always tell my daughter, "nothing comes for free," go earn it. The young are normally hungry and the old wise. Whether your young or old, you gotta realize your strengths and use them to your full potential. Parents and players have got to realize that coaches are doing the best they can ( and yes I cringe for saying that). Reason I cringe is b/c all it takes is one bad coach to leave you thirsty. But the good coaches should full fill that thirst with knowledge and power to want to succeed. That's were it's the parents responsibility to continue to feed the fire (softball player). They say knowledge is power and I read a 180 page book on softball pitching from Michele Smith to let my daughter know that I'm all in with her. Regardless if she continues to get cut, I will know that we did our best to try to succeed(just as in a team).

What I'm getting at, is you don't need money to have your kid be successful. Open your mouth and ask questions. Call high school coaches, college coaches or whoever to help you and your child learn. Pick up a softball book, go to games and continue to be involved with your child and they'll be better off. Softball we love, but it's not forever.

Edited by vansmetal

I've got a middle school daughter who didn't make the team. She decided to hang up her note from the coach that she was cut to use as motivation. I love the fact that she isn't going to give up and lay down. If this is your daughters SR year, tell her to get after it if she wants it. I always tell my daughter, "nothing comes for free," go earn it. The young are normally hungry and the old wise. Whether your young or old, you gotta realize your strengths and use them to your full potential. Parents and players have got to realize that coaches are doing the best they can ( and yes I cringe for saying that). Reason I cringe is b/c all it takes is one bad coach to leave you thirsty. But the good coaches should full fill that thirst with knowledge and power to want to succeed. That's were it's the parents responsibility to continue to feed the fire (softball player). They say knowledge is power and I read a 180 page book on softball pitching from Michele Smith to let my daughter know that I'm all in with her. Regardless if she continues to get cut, I will know that we did our best to try to succeed(just as in a team).

What I'm getting at, is you don't need money to have your kid be successful. Open your mouth and ask questions. Call high school coaches, college coaches or whoever to help you and your child learn. Pick up a softball book, go to games and continue to be involved with your child and they'll be better off. Softball we love, but it's not forever.

TRust me. Been there done that. Spent thousands on lessons, clinics, equipment. It takes more than reading a book to make your kid successful. And go forbid your HS coach doesn't like your pitching coach, or doesn't like the way your kid learned to bat. HS ball has been a struggle for her since a great freshman year. Younger kids playing up, new favorites each year...it's all part of HS ball. You get what you get and you don't throw a fit:) (you just come on here and rant about it! ) hahahaha

I agree with most comments on this thread, however, my hubby and I were just having the conversation about how we have seen travel ball affect our kids HS career since 7th grade and with her NOT being able to play, how that has affected her and her team as a whole. Its interesting to see, thats for sure. That being said, I pray she makes the team this year, she has the talent and she has the WANT, and no, softball is not forever. She will be going away to college on a full academic scholarship:) But she would be crushed not to finish her senior year just because she was "old"! LOL She's been at fastpitch since first grade and it's been a wonderful and crazy ride. Some bad and some good, and I would have changed several things, but she still loves the game and we support her no matter what:)

Thanks for the lively discussion:) It's always good to talk softball:)

TRust me. Been there done that. Spent thousands on lessons, clinics, equipment. It takes more than reading a book to make your kid successful. And go forbid your HS coach doesn't like your pitching coach, or doesn't like the way your kid learned to bat. HS ball has been a struggle for her since a great freshman year. Younger kids playing up, new favorites each year...it's all part of HS ball. You get what you get and you don't throw a fit:) (you just come on here and rant about it! ) hahahaha

I agree with most comments on this thread, however, my hubby and I were just having the conversation about how we have seen travel ball affect our kids HS career since 7th grade and with her NOT being able to play, how that has affected her and her team as a whole. Its interesting to see, thats for sure. That being said, I pray she makes the team this year, she has the talent and she has the WANT, and no, softball is not forever. She will be going away to college on a full academic scholarship:) But she would be crushed not to finish her senior year just because she was "old"! LOL She's been at fastpitch since first grade and it's been a wonderful and crazy ride. Some bad and some good, and I would have changed several things, but she still loves the game and we support her no matter what:)

Thanks for the lively discussion:) It's always good to talk softball:)

I believe everything you're saying because I have definitely heard my share of horror stories. But I would have to think she is just in a tough situation because hardly anything you are describing is played out that way in our program. Not saying we're better or anything like that, I'm saying I think we are more of the norm and what you are describing (unfortunate for your daughter), is more of the minority. I say that without any facts and hearing just your side of the story. I'm trusting what you're saying is what you believe and how you feel.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe I know the program that theowenfive is frustrated with. When my daughter was cut, and I asked what she can improve on...response from the coach was that she can't improve. My daughter wants to prove that coach wrong, and turn a coaches negative tune to a positive. This coach has a right to her opinion and we'll respect her position. Besides that, congrats to your (theowenfive)daughter for getting a academic scholarship....that's awesome!!