Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

When does life start?

Featured Replies

Even if you saw the evidence and listened to the opinions of some of the leading scientists and physicians on the issue, would it change your opinion?

 

When does the fertilized egg, zygote, whatever you call it, become a genetically distinct human organism?

This has nothing to do with me or my opinion. The question has to do with the consensus of the scientific community.

  • Replies 86
  • Views 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Life and personhood - one and the same?

I expected all of the Pro-choicers to explain to us why we were all wrong in saying when life starts...but still nothing but Crickets.

 

I am 100% Pro-Choice.

 

I'm not sure when I believe "life" starts.

I am 100% Pro-Choice.

 

I'm not sure when I believe "life" starts.

 

 

Do you believe that an abortion after 20 weeks ends a life, given the information presented above about various stages of development?

Do you believe that an abortion after 20 weeks ends a life, given the information presented above about various stages of development?

 

20 weeks does seem late to me for an abortion... That's halfway through a normal pregnancy, right? Part of me thinks that if a "baby" isn't developed enough to live outside its mother on its own, it shouldn't be considered a "life." Again, I'm not really sure when I believe life starts...

Thanks, many of us are unsure on this topic. I am against abortion but I'm not as against it in the cases where the mother experienced/would experience physical or emotional trauma. Yet if I believe it's ending a life, shouldn't I be against it in all instances? Very very confusing subject for me.

Unfortunately, without a medical/scientific consensus as to when life starts, it's hard to place a legal definition to it.

 

I believe, because of my religious faith, that life starts at conception. I am 100% against abortion, and believe the unborn should have the same rights as anyone else.

 

However, having said that, I also don't believe it's the government's job to legislate based on faith, thus I have no issue with the current laws.

 

May seem like a contradiction, but I try my darnedest to keep my religious and political views separate.

 

Really good.

 

The main decision makers should be the woman, her doctor, her family and her faith leader if she chooses.

 

I know most abortions are elective but there are times when the pregnancy is high risk or troubled. Every pregnancy increases risk to a woman's health and I do not want government bureaucrats deciding what qualifies as 'life saving' or forcing a woman to carry on with high risk pregnancy.

 

And then there are the mis-carriages that are often not discussed. Are they 'natural' abortions? Do we want the government investigating those? Probably not. That leads to more questions in this area that make this subject a difficult one.

I'm surprised no one has come on here to tell everyone they are wrong?

 

You are all wrong...life begins at 5PM Fridays.

I was unaware that there was a scientific consensus on when life begins.

 

There's no scientific consensus on much of any topic these days. Surely you'd agree to that. This is a debate with no answer, scientifically speaking, and you know that. You also know that at a very early stage in development, as early as 21 weeks, babies have made it. So, the question, scientifically and otherwise, is does the fetus have to be able to be sustainable once delivered to constitute "beginning of life"? Or is it earlier? Because obviously any answer past 20 weeks is incorrect.

 

Earliest surviving premature baby goes home to her parents | Mail Online

Life and personhood - one and the same?

 

It would seem that the first sentence of the preamble of the Declaration of Independence makes them so. And for what it's worth, I agree that they are.

There are a few other cases where women have been charged with a crime for endangering their baby while in the womb.

 

I'm speaking solely on KY law.

  • Author

FWIW...The definition of “person” for purposes of Kentucky homicide laws includes “an unborn child from the moment of conception.”

FWIW...The definition of “person” for purposes of Kentucky homicide laws includes “an unborn child from the moment of conception.”

 

So basically someone could be charged for murder/manslaughter even if a woman didn't know she was pregnant yet...

So basically someone could be charged for murder/manslaughter even if a woman didn't know she was pregnant yet...

 

Kentucky has specifically-defined fetal homicide statutes.

 

First and second degree fetal homicide requires intent to kill or harm the fetus.

 

Third degree requires wanton disregard of risk.

 

Fourth degree requires reckless action.

 

I do not know whether a person could be prosecuted for third or fourth degree fetal homicide without knowledge of a pregnancy, but murder/manslaughter do not apply to fetal homicide cases.

 

A woman cannot be prosecuted for fetal homicide for anything she does herself.

This has nothing to do with me or my opinion. The question has to do with the consensus of the scientific community.

 

When does science tell us the fertilized egg, zygote, whatever you call it, become a genetically distinct human organism?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.