July 30, 201412 yr Author I expected all of the Pro-choicers to explain to us why we were all wrong in saying when life starts...but still nothing but Crickets.
July 30, 201412 yr I expected all of the Pro-choicers to explain to us why we were all wrong in saying when life starts...but still nothing but Crickets. You're never going to really get the other side of this argument here on BGP. Simply put, the group that so adamantly argues in that way and will do so eloquently just won't be found here. Such is the nature of a high school sports website based in Kentucky.
July 30, 201412 yr Author You're never going to really get the other side of this argument here on BGP. Simply put, the group that so adamantly argues in that way and will do so eloquently just won't be found here. Such is the nature of a high school sports website based in Kentucky. We have people taking both sides of every issue you can think of on this "high school sports website based in Kentucky", no reason to think there isn't some that could discuss this also. I think the reason no one debates this, is that in their heart of hearts they KNOW that Abortion is Killing of another living being and is indefensible in 99% of the cases.
July 30, 201412 yr We have people taking both sides of every issue you can think of on this "high school sports website based in Kentucky", no reason to think there isn't some that could discuss this also. I think the reason no one debates this, is that in their heart of hearts they KNOW that Abortion is Killing of another living being and is indefensible in 99% of the cases. I've never seen a pro-choice opinion on this site that I felt was ever particularly adamant. In college I saw women scream to the point of tears about this issue. I've never really seen anything like it here. There are women who will go tooth and nail on this one. I've been on the receiving end of it. Just saying I've never really seen that level of vehemence on BGP, so that's likely why your questions appear to be going unanswered: we simply lack that population of true believers.
July 30, 201412 yr Something I've never understood about abortion. A woman can be on the way to an abortion clinic to abort her child and that seems to be fine and acceptable by a lot of people. However if someone is careless in someway and is the cause of an accident in which she loses the very child she was on the way to have aborted, they can be charged with manslaughter or murder depending on the circumstances. Further more, if a mother takes drugs while pregnant and loses her child prior to birth they may be charged as well. If a newborn has drugs in their system when they are born the mother can be charged with endangering the child while it was still in the womb. But if a woman decides to have an abortion just because she doesn't want to be bothered by having a child, all is good. (Read a story where some women are known to have as many as 10 abortions and one had 15 in 16 years) Women have the right to decide what happens to their body but when do the child's rights start? I'm not sure you're right on the part of a mother taking drugs and causing her unborn child to miscarry. I didn't think there was anything to charge them with. I do know that if you are pregnant and using drugs there is nothing the state can do until your child is born and tests positive for a drug. Then you can be charged.
July 30, 201412 yr Author I'm not sure you're right on the part of a mother taking drugs and causing her unborn child to miscarry. I didn't think there was anything to charge them with. I do know that if you are pregnant and using drugs there is nothing the state can do until your child is born and tests positive for a drug. Then you can be charged. Rennie Gibbs, a 16 year old in Mississippi when she gave birth to a stillborn child, is facing life in prison for taking cocaine during her pregnancy. Hers is among a burgeoning number of cases in which women are prosecuted for allegedly endangering their unborn children. There are a few other cases where women have been charged with a crime for endangering their baby while in the womb.
July 30, 201412 yr Author I've never seen a pro-choice opinion on this site that I felt was ever particularly adamant. In college I saw women scream to the point of tears about this issue. I've never really seen anything like it here. There are women who will go tooth and nail on this one. I've been on the receiving end of it. Just saying I've never really seen that level of vehemence on BGP, so that's likely why your questions appear to be going unanswered: we simply lack that population of true believers. Someone used to have a Planned Parenthood Avatar, I can't remember who it was though. Pretty sure they were adamantly pro choice.
July 30, 201412 yr Author Conception. Life starts at conception. That's a scientific fact. Agreed, and everyone at least so far has the same opinion. Then why is abortion not murder?
July 30, 201412 yr Suppose it makes sense to pull this over here from the other thread out of relevance. Woud that snippet offend because of religion or science? At week 20? A viable being, wholly sustainable life of it's own? I'm just pointing out that some of the people who choose to have an abortion might take exception to that phrasing in the item I quoted, and therein lies the dividing line on the debate: When does life begin? One side chooses a scientific view, another takes a religious one. Where would you or that significant portion of the population portend that life begins? BTW there is a new thread on this subject. As for me, I don't know. I haven't the proper training to be an authority on the subject. Admittedly, the religious side and the scientific side of me tug at each other. It's not for me to speak for anyone else, given how conflicted I am about it.
July 30, 201412 yr Something I've never understood about abortion. A woman can be on the way to an abortion clinic to abort her child and that seems to be fine and acceptable by a lot of people. However if someone is careless in someway and is the cause of an accident in which she loses the very child she was on the way to have aborted, they can be charged with manslaughter or murder depending on the circumstances. Further more, if a mother takes drugs while pregnant and loses her child prior to birth they may be charged as well. If a newborn has drugs in their system when they are born the mother can be charged with endangering the child while it was still in the womb. But if a woman decides to have an abortion just because she doesn't want to be bothered by having a child, all is good. (Read a story where some women are known to have as many as 10 abortions and one had 15 in 16 years) Women have the right to decide what happens to their body but when do the child's rights start? Your examples are all excellent examples of our laws' flawed inconsistencies on this matter.
July 30, 201412 yr I was unaware that there was a scientific consensus on when life begins. I agree. I hope my post didn't seem to imply as much.
July 30, 201412 yr I was unaware that there was a scientific consensus on when life begins. Even if you saw the evidence and listened to the opinions of some of the leading scientists and physicians on the issue, would it change your opinion? When does the fertilized egg, zygote, whatever you call it, become a genetically distinct human organism?
July 30, 201412 yr I was unaware that there was a scientific consensus on when life begins. That's always been a major legal problem. If you can't decide when life does or doesn't begin, how can you decide when you can kill it? If a woman is pregnant (just pregnant - no time frame), and you were to punch her in the stomach and end the pregnancy (not that I'm AT ALL condoning that)...then not only are you charged with assault, but you are also charged with manslaughter or murder. How then can a woman CHOOSE to end a pregnancy at that same point and not be charged with the same?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.