Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Shooter In A Gun-Free Zone Stopped By A Doctor With A Gun

Featured Replies

If the solution to gun violence is that we need more "good guys with guns," then why is there less gun violence is in similarly situated countries like Canada and the UK? Are there comparatively more "good guys with guns" in those countries?

Hey, great point. Now let's do a study on the percentage of folks on serotonin uptake inhibiting drugs and that ilk in Canada vs US. We are cookin with gas now.

  • Replies 121
  • Views 13.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the solution to gun violence is that we need more "good guys with guns," then why is there less gun violence is in similarly situated countries like Canada and the UK? Are there comparatively more "good guys with guns" in those countries?

 

I believe that is what have many pro-guns proponents wondering what has happened over the last 50-60 yrs. We were more like Canada then. We did not see a problem with people having guns when I was growing up in the 1950's-60's. Guns were dangerous then and there were some mass killings. The attitude of guns are the same, they lay in a closet or a gun case until pulled out to be used. Why are people pulling them out for such horrendous crimes these days? Seems the attitude of people have changed, not the guns.

What meds was the shooter on (or normally on and off at the time) when the shooting happened? That question won't be asked or answered because the focus will be on the Dr. in this one. Others lost their lives and they'll be overlooked because of the Dr. in the headline. Nope, we'd rather focus on a gun issue (that in this case saved lives) because it's politically hot instead of focusing on the problem at the core of a terrible incident.

What meds was the shooter on (or normally on and off at the time) when the shooting happened? That question won't be asked or answered because the focus will be on the Dr. in this one. Others lost their lives and they'll be overlooked because of the Dr. in the headline. Nope, we'd rather focus on a gun issue (that in this case saved lives) because it's politically hot instead of focusing on the problem at the core of a terrible incident.

 

Preach it!

I completely missing how not believing everyone should be able to pack everywhere means I'm fearful. And I'm definitely not armed.

 

I think I understand the sentiment. As 'pro-gun' advocate I do not have a CCW and probably never will. It is an awesome responsibility. But I do know people who have CCW and exercise it. They, like almost all and hopefully the vast, vast majority who do exercise it, take the responsibility seriously. If you pack in public you have probably considered it very seriously and take the responsibility that comes with it very seriously. Hopefully, all CCW exercisers have thought through the 'what if' of a bad situation and are prepared mentally and emotionally should they have to take another's life. Its not for everyone and probably not for most. But I feel safer knowing that good people are prepared if the worst happens.

Edited by Bluegrasscard
minor spelling.

Hey, great point. Now let's do a study on the percentage of folks on serotonin uptake inhibiting drugs and that ilk in Canada vs US. We are cookin with gas now.

 

Data for the United States is conspicuously absent, but it appears Canada has a relatively high rate of antidepressant consumption. The only data I could find for the US is that roughly 10% of the population takes some kind of antidepressant and that there’s been a large increase in its being prescribed over the last decade or so, which also seems to be a trend in other developed countries according to the chart.

 

ad1.JPG

 

Relatedly, the US has an almost exactly average suicide rate. While its tangential to the question, it would seem that if something unique was going on in the US with antidepressants, the suicide rate wouldn’t be so normal (for a lack of better phrasing).

 

sd1.JPG

 

It seems to me that there’s a simpler explanation than antidepressants or video games (which is another commonly cited cause) as to why the US has a rate of gun violence much higher than our developed peers - guns are much easier to come by in the US.

Data for the United States is conspicuously absent, but it appears Canada has a relatively high rate of antidepressant consumption. The only data I could find for the US is that roughly 10% of the population takes some kind of antidepressant and that there’s been a large increase in its being prescribed over the last decade or so, which also seems to be a trend in other developed countries according to the chart.

 

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45901[/ATTACH]

 

Relatedly, the US has an almost exactly average suicide rate. While its tangential to the question, it would seem that if something unique was going on in the US with antidepressants, the suicide rate wouldn’t be so normal (for a lack of better phrasing).

 

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45902[/ATTACH]

 

It seems to me that there’s a simpler explanation than antidepressants or video games (which is another commonly cited cause) as to why the US has a rate of gun violence much higher than our developed peers - guns are much easier to come by in the US.

Well, other than totally omitting the US for comparison, I'd be interested in how the data was compiled. For instance, was the data compiled for RX filled in each country? If so, I'd bet a dollar to a donut that a remarkable number of those meds are paid for by US citizens who shop Rx vendors ala Canada Drug due to the incredible savings vs. US pharmacy. Is that a possiblilty with this data?
Well, other than totally omitting the US for comparison, I'd be interested in how the data was compiled. For instance, was the data compiled for RX filled in each country? If so, I'd bet a dollar to a donut that a remarkable number of those meds are paid for by US citizens who shop Rx vendors ala Canada Drug due to the incredible savings vs. US pharmacy. Is that a possiblilty with this data?

 

Perhaps, but I can't tell. Here is the link to it that I forgot to include earlier.

 

http://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/Health-at-a-Glance-2013.pdf

Great study by the way, but it seems that it was compiled by pharmaceutical expenditure. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I'd be shocked if the US not only contributed to that Canadian total, but that overall, if there was a way to collectively assess the use, that our country not only tops the list, but far outlays any of the other totals.

Great study by the way, but it seems that it was compiled by pharmaceutical expenditure. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I'd be shocked if the US not only contributed to that Canadian total, but that overall, if there was a way to collectively assess the use, that our country not only tops the list, but far outlays any of the other totals.

 

Could be. It's annoying that there is no available data on that for the US. Now I'm curious. :lol2:

Could be. It's annoying that there is no available data on that for the US. Now I'm curious. :lol2:

Ha, me too. Fruitless google search. Makes me think it's a conspiracy!:ohbrother:

If the solution to gun violence is that we need more "good guys with guns," then why is there less gun violence is in similarly situated countries like Canada and the UK? Are there comparatively more "good guys with guns" in those countries?

 

Are guns supposed to only deter gun related crimes? I don't think so.

 

The UK has the second largest violent crime rate in the entire EU and one of the most violent in the world. The fifth highest robbery rate.

 

When you take in account per 100,000 residents, Canada, UK, Finland, Sweden are all more than double what we have here in the US.

 

You can find this anywhere with a quick Google search. Here's one link The most violent country in Europe: Britain is also worse than South Africa and U.S. | Mail Online

  • Author
If the solution to gun violence is that we need more "good guys with guns," then why is there less gun violence is in similarly situated countries like Canada and the UK? Are there comparatively more "good guys with guns" in those countries?
I wonder what the difference is per capita between the U.S. and those countries with drugs and gangs.
Only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun...Is a good guy with a gun.

 

I think this is the most likes I've ever gotten for one post!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.