July 28, 201412 yr Author It boggles my mind that people think this Dr. had no right to protect himself.Blows my mind that the fear mongering has taken hold of so many.
July 28, 201412 yr It boggles my mind that people think this Dr. had no right to protect himself. It shouldn't. You know what I mean. Really, it just shouldn't.
July 28, 201412 yr Blows my mind that the fear mongering has taken hold of so many. If you're referring to my comments in this thread, I have expressed my personal feelings, and while "wild west" is somewhat of an exaggeration, what I meant is everyone carrying guns and feeling that it's a necessity. Regardless, I'm perfectly comfortable with my view, and color me skeptical that the world will be a better place when everybody's packin'.
July 28, 201412 yr If you're referring to my comments in this thread, I have expressed my personal feelings, and while "wild west" is somewhat of an exaggeration, what I meant is everyone carrying guns and feeling that it's a necessity. Regardless, I'm perfectly comfortable with my view, and color me skeptical that the world will be a better place when everybody's packin'. This.
July 28, 201412 yr I understand clearly and choose to live in an environment where I don't have to be surrounded by a throng of cowboys ready to be the Lone Ranger and the situation becoming a chaotic shoot out. Are you sure that is your choice to make? I would love to be able to choose to live in an environment where no bad people have access top guns/knives/bats/explosives/etc. but I am well aware that I nor anyone else has that choice. I used to work in the West End of Louisville. Some of you may remember about two years ago when there was a wild shoot out in the West End of Louisville. One of the gang members who was shot jumped in a car and drove right by our front door. I was in the back of the building securing our fence so I didn't see him but several other employees did. Due to our location, the owner of the company at its founding years ago put in the employee manual that employees who could obtain a concealed carry permit were allowed to carry on the property. Until the shooting I really didn't consider getting a permit and carrying. After the shooting, I decided to. I also don't think since I carry often makes me a cowboy ready to be the Lone Ranger, I think that is a silly comment. I think it makes me someone aware of the realities of our messed up society and who chose to prepare if the worst did happen. I look at a gun like a fire extinguisher or a fire insurance policy. I seriously doubt I will need either the extinguisher or the insurance so I am probably throwing the money away but I will sure be glad to have them should I ever need them. And honestly, with the number of people getting attacked by dogs lately, I would be willing to bet that a vicious dog will require my defending myself than a bad guy but I am glad to have it in either occasion. I feel terrible about the jogger killed by the two dogs. I can't think of too many ways to die worse than being mauled by two dogs.
July 28, 201412 yr Are you sure that is your choice to make? I would love to be able to choose to live in an environment where no bad people have access top guns/knives/bats/explosives/etc. but I am well aware that I nor anyone else has that choice. I used to work in the West End of Louisville. Some of you may remember about two years ago when there was a wild shoot out in the West End of Louisville. One of the gang members who was shot jumped in a car and drove right by our front door. I was in the back of the building securing our fence so I didn't see him but several other employees did. Due to our location, the owner of the company at its founding years ago put in the employee manual that employees who could obtain a concealed carry permit were allowed to carry on the property. Until the shooting I really didn't consider getting a permit and carrying. After the shooting, I decided to. I also don't think since I carry often makes me a cowboy ready to be the Lone Ranger, I think that is a silly comment. I think it makes me someone aware of the realities of our messed up society and who chose to prepare if the worst did happen. I look at a gun like a fire extinguisher or a fire insurance policy. I seriously doubt I will need either the extinguisher or the insurance so I am probably throwing the money away but I will sure be glad to have them should I ever need them. And honestly, with the number of people getting bitten by dogs lately, it would be willing to bet that a vicious dog will require my defending myself than a bad guy but I am glad to have it in either occasion. I indulged in a little exaggeration. So...sue me. I have no problem if you want to carry. I have no problem at all. But don't act like it's the cure all for shootings, because it's not. In addition to the bad guys and LEOS, etc, now we've got every Tom, Dick, Harry, Susie and Jane packin' and things will go wrong. Not one of you wants to address the situation where the legally packing old man in the theater shot the man who was texting int he theater. All of you act like any legal gun owner is absolutely responsible. There are thousands of graves all over the country of victims of people who either were NOT responsible with their weapon, either in use or storage, or (IMO) downright negligent in their duties as a parent AND a gun owner and now you have dead kids killed by dead kids.
July 28, 201412 yr Was anyone asked to address the legally packing old man in the theater? Did anyone say that carrying was the cure for all shootings? I'm not sure as a gun owner and legal conceal/carry person that I need someone to speak for me about the issues. It's all too common that the grandeur takes over. Some call it fear mongering, others deny it. I won't bother to label it.
July 28, 201412 yr I indulged in a little exaggeration. So...sue me. I have no problem if you want to carry. I have no problem at all. But don't act like it's the cure all for shootings, because it's not. In addition to the bad guys and LEOS, etc, now we've got every Tom, Dick, Harry, Susie and Jane packin' and things will go wrong. Not one of you wants to address the situation where the legally packing old man in the theater shot the man who was texting int he theater. All of you act like any legal gun owner is absolutely responsible. There are thousands of graves all over the country of victims of people who either were NOT responsible with their weapon, either in use or storage, or (IMO) downright negligent in their duties as a parent AND a gun owner and now you have dead kids killed by dead kids. Do you dare get on the roads with these insane, unpredictable psychopaths lurking around? Just wondering if you're this paranoid when driving around in a 2 ton hunk of metal going at 70 MPH when these crazies are driving right beside you or driving at you with a space of less than 5 feet. If you do, I imagine you have a sense of trust in your fellow man that they're responsible drivers. And your last paragraph can substitute anything gun related with a vehicle: All of you act act like any [licensed driver] is absolutely responsible. There are thousands of graves all over the country of victims of people who either were NOT responsible with their [cars], either in use or storage, or (IMO) downright negligent in their duties as a parent AND a [automobile owner] and now you have dead kids killed by dead kids. Edited July 28, 201412 yr by marvel
July 28, 201412 yr You can come up with all these horrifying scenarios, but that's all they are. Can you imagine telling someone in the late 1800's about automobiles and how fast we travel and how close we are to one another when doing so? "Someone is going to go on a killing spree in that tank!" "What if someone loses control?!" "What if the steering goes out when going 80 MPH?!"
July 28, 201412 yr Question: How many of you think the good doctor will be fired? Back to Dr. Make My Day and if he will be fired, it would not surprise me of the hospital wanted to avoid looking like the bad guy by firing him and instead made a settlement offer for him to quietly resign. I worked for a company which did this though under different circumstances but similar in a way that firing the employee would have looked really bad to the public even though those in the company felt that it could not be avoided.
July 28, 201412 yr This phenomenon of preachers packing guns really is intriguing. I am not sure if my pastor carries or not. He came from a parish out in the country where carrying guns is just part of the culture and my church is in an "interesting" part of Louisville based upon the reported break ins, violent offenses, etc., it would not surprise me if he carried. I would be fine if he did or not. My guess is the Archbishop would tell him to be discreet about it if he does.
July 28, 201412 yr Author If you're referring to my comments in this thread, I have expressed my personal feelings, and while "wild west" is somewhat of an exaggeration, what I meant is everyone carrying guns and feeling that it's a necessity. Regardless, I'm perfectly comfortable with my view, and color me skeptical that the world will be a better place when everybody's packin'. I'm certainly not singling you out, there are plenty of people (on this board and not on this board) that have caved to the tactics (and lies) of the anti-gun lobbying organizations. I know plenty of pro-gun people that don't carry and don't feel the need to. Not every pro-gun man or woman thinks we all need to carry. No one said everyone needs to pack. That's more hyperbole. I indulged in a little exaggeration. So...sue me. I have no problem if you want to carry. I have no problem at all. But don't act like it's the cure all for shootings, because it's not. In addition to the bad guys and LEOS, etc, now we've got every Tom, Dick, Harry, Susie and Jane packin' and things will go wrong. Not one of you wants to address the situation where the legally packing old man in the theater shot the man who was texting int he theater. All of you act like any legal gun owner is absolutely responsible. There are thousands of graves all over the country of victims of people who either were NOT responsible with their weapon, either in use or storage, or (IMO) downright negligent in their duties as a parent AND a gun owner and now you have dead kids killed by dead kids. No one on here said it was the cure all. I will tell you this, I guarantee you the good doctor is glad he brought that gun to work and I guarantee you a lot of people on that floor are glad he did too. You keep saying the more people that carry the more things will go wrong, yet I post an article that shows that since gun sales have gone up, gun crime has gone down. Why ignore that? Where I work there has always been guns around us. I'm not just talking one or two, lots of them. Been there 33 years, never had a problem, never had things go wrong, never a shooting, never a gun pointed at anyone, never a threat, never a gun related accident. There are irresponsible people that misuse all kinds of things resulting in injury and/or death, yet you're not outspoken on this board about them. As for the guy in the theater, I don't recall being asked about him, but since you brought him up I will say he sounds like he was mentally disturbed. I've said ad nauseam mental illness is the real problem and that you can't regulate a sick mind. Edited July 28, 201412 yr by Run To State
July 28, 201412 yr Not one of you wants to address the situation where the legally packing old man in the theater shot the man who was texting int he theater. I will address the idiot in a theater. He is the approximately .0000672% of civilians issued a concealed carry permit who committed a crime with a gun*. Emphasis on the fact his is a civilian. The percentage of sworn police officers who commit a crime with a gun is over three times that amount so figure approximately .0002016% for sworn police officers. While I am not a statistician, the statistics courses I took would say that a percentage like .0000672% is so low that the risk could almost be considered non existent. That and the fact that the civilian percentage if 1/3 of the sworn police officer percentage supports that assertion. So why did the guy in the theater get so much press. I would say it is the same reason why when a student in a low income, high crime area high school commits a crime, it doesn't get much press, society doesn't take much notice of it because it doesn't come as a surprise or shock to society. But when a student at a private, high income, religious oriented school commits a crime, reporters fall over themselves trying to get to the school to get a reaction from students, employees, etc.. Because you don't see crimes committed very often at that type of school and you don't expect the type of students there to commit a crime, it becomes big news. The same way, dip stick in the theater was that outlier who committed a crime and since there are not many like him, that makes him news worthy. *Based on a study for the State of Florida which has the largest number of concealed carry permit holders. Without more data, I would assume the percentage is approximately the same across the country.
July 29, 201412 yr All of you act like any legal gun owner is absolutely responsible. There are thousands of graves all over the country of victims of people who either were NOT responsible with their weapon, either in use or storage, or (IMO) downright negligent in their duties as a parent AND a gun owner and now you have dead kids killed by dead kids. I look at idiot parents who leave loaded guns lying around like I look at parents who leave babies in the car while they get their hair done and the kid dies in the hot car. My view is I don't know what can be done to prevent this. Would putting them in jail act as a deterrent for future parents not to make the same mistake? I don't think so. If the possibility of killing your kid isn't enough of a threat, I don't know what is. I really don't know the answer to this but I don't really see what regulations could prevent dumb parents from leaving guns lying around or leaving kids in cars that become ovens. I guess I look at it similar to alcohol and gambling. Most people who have studied the Prohibition Era believe Prohibition cut alcohol consumption by at least half. While there was bootlegging, Prohibition made drinking more difficult so it cut back on drinking. If Prohibition was still in affect, would alcohol consumption still be less than half now and we would have half as many DUI deaths? If so, does that justify bringing back Prohibition? I would say no. In a free society allowing liberties to the people automatically assumes some abuse of that liberty and negative side affects. A decent number of suicides are due to those who get addicted to gambling and ruin theirs and their families lives. Does Indiana need to shut down all the casinos to try to save as many lives as possible understanding some will still find underground gambling halls but for the most part, gambling will be curtailed considerably? Again, I say no, same rationale as drinking.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.