Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Practicing in Pads? Paducah Sun

Featured Replies

Whose to say he didnt read the rules, again the clinic notes have nothing about the rule change in them.

I found them in less then two minutes in the handbook. Doesn't the coach have some responsibility to look before acting?

  • Replies 149
  • Views 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I still think it is a bit far fetched for the people calling for heads to roll because a team was practicing in pads.

 

I also think it is equally far fetched for the people who want to excuse it as if poor ole Haskins could never have known and that he was the victim of KHSAA planning.

 

I still stand by my assertion... for every practice he illegally practiced the first week he has to lose a practice equally in August... practices that arguably have much more meaning and have a greater affect on timing. I do agree a little with those that say the punishment has to be greater than the crime so I say also penalize them by making them start practice 3 Days Late in 2015.

I was out walking tonight and saw a varsity practice in pads with contact. I wonder to what extent the violations of this rule extend.

I was out walking tonight and saw a varsity practice in pads with contact. I wonder to what extent the violations of this rule extend.

What school was it?

What school was it?

 

A NKy school. Not one you would consider a power program. It was completely out in the open. No attempt to conceal it what so ever. I really don't want to point fingers here.

 

I just think a stern letter needs to go out from KHSAA.

A NKy school. Not one you would consider a power program. It was completely out in the open. No attempt to conceal it what so ever. I really don't want to point fingers here.

 

I just think a stern letter needs to go out from KHSAA.

That's why I ask, I think these schools that are disregarding the rules need to be "out in the open". It doesn't matter to me if they are a State Champion team or the bottom of the barrel. It tarnishes the teams that try to do things correctly.

A NKy school. Not one you would consider a power program. It was completely out in the open. No attempt to conceal it what so ever. I really don't want to point fingers here.

 

I just think a stern letter needs to go out from KHSAA.

 

Ok, we can eliminate NewCath, CovCath, Highlands, & Beechwood. :clap:

Even simpler, take away two padded practices for every illegal practice held. Gets the point across without an overreaction.

 

That's not a bad idea at all; I just wonder if it could be easily enforced.

If the rule is a recent change then it doesn't matter how long Haskins has been around. As a matter of fact if he/anyone has coached for years and is use to the old rule it's more understandable how he screwed up. Yes it's on him and he should be punished but you will not convince me he knew he was breaking a rule and allowed the reporter there.

If the rule is a recent change then it doesn't matter how long Haskins has been around. As a matter of fact if he/anyone has coached for years and is use to the old rule it's more understandable how he screwed up. Yes it's on him and he should be punished but you will not convince me he knew he was breaking a rule and allowed the reporter there.

 

Ignorance is no excuse. KHSAA let everybody know about the change.

 

07/10/14 ? Reminder about Changes in Football Preseason Practice Rules | Kentucky High School Athletic Association

Did he know or didn't he know does not matter, he did it and there should be consequences to fit the violation, you may never really know what the coaching staff knew, you have to take their word for it unless you can prove otherwise. Apparently they either self reported or admitted quickly, which is always the best option when you break a rule. The principal will get the letter. He/she should come clean, suggest a penalty of equal days of practice in pads means equal days of missed on the practice field, one year probation for football and a $500 fine. Then I'd write the coach and AD up, have a very firm meeting with them and move on. The KHSAA probably would be amenable to this.

 

I say this with no emotional attachment in any way shape or form. I don't know Coach Haskins and am unfamiliar with the school other than it is a big school in Western Kentucky with decent athletic programs since the mergers.

That's why I ask, I think these schools that are disregarding the rules need to be "out in the open". It doesn't matter to me if they are a State Champion team or the bottom of the barrel. It tarnishes the teams that try to do things correctly.

 

Is it a requirement to have an adjustment period to be in pads prior to the contact period?

I will agree he should have known the rule. But to punish the program more than a fine or a loss of a few more days in pads is insane. Some folks on here want them to get the Death Penalty.

I will agree he should have known the rule. But to punish the program more than a fine or a loss of a few more days in pads is insane. Some folks on here want them to get the Death Penalty.

While I agree that this is small potatoes, some kind of inspection and audit program seems necessary. Lhasa is too reactive.

While I agree that this is small potatoes, some kind of inspection and audit program seems necessary. Lhasa is too reactive.

 

I have no issue. If that is going to be the policy of the KHSAA. When any infraction is found to audit a program. Just as long as they are consistant.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.