Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Practicing in Pads? Paducah Sun

Featured Replies

I will agree he should have known the rule. But to punish the program more than a fine or a loss of a few more days in pads is insane. Some folks on here want them to get the Death Penalty.

 

I am not sure what the penalty should be, but a lot of the reaction comes about because of why this rule was instituted. In an age of trying to protect players from injury or heat related incidents and then to knowingly (or unknowingly) defy that rule sets a poor example.

  • Replies 149
  • Views 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is it a requirement to have an adjustment period to be in pads prior to the contact period?

Yes, heat acclimation. Acclimation and pre-hydration are the cornerstones of preventing heat related emergencies.

summer.jpg

 

Hmm..... thoughts on camps like this where teams can go full pads with contact? Should the KHSAA allow these unless they are during the open period?

Edited by ATLCat

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45934[/ATTACH]

 

Hmm..... thoughts on camps like this where teams can go full pads with contact? Should the KHSAA allow these unless they are during the open period?

 

I guess it matters if this is an organized team activity or not.I don't see how KHSAA or a school program has liability in a camp situation where participation is as an individual.

 

No one is making an excuse. Reason and excuse are different. He missed, he screwed up, whatever. He should get his punishment and everyone move on. There's far worse things he could have done.

I guess it matters if this is an organized team activity or not.I don't see how KHSAA or a school program has liability in a camp situation where participation is as an individual.

 

Should NOT be a difference if it's Team Camp or Practice because the rule is designed to protect kids fro heat. If that is the case then Both teams should be held in violation of the rule. I am not sure how the KHSAA can not enforce in this instance.

I have noticed that camps do not even look at the humidity index at all.

I guess it matters if this is an organized team activity or not.I don't see how KHSAA or a school program has liability in a camp situation where participation is as an individual.

 

I asked this in another thread and no one answered, so I will ask it here. Whose equipment do the kids have on and does it matter?

I asked this in another thread and no one answered, so I will ask it here. Whose equipment do the kids have on and does it matter?

 

Either they bring their school equipment, or, they rent it at camp. Can not answer 2nd part.

No one is making an excuse.

 

You made an excusable statement for Haskin's actions in your original comment.

You made an excusable statement for Haskin's actions in your original comment.

No I didn't. You may have read it that way but you would be wrong.

I believe there are two issues here that need to be separated. One is the applicability of KHSAA requirements to padded college camps and the other is on organized team padded practices with contact before Aug 1st.

 

On the former, it is my understanding that it is the high school program that is regulated and not the participant. I don't see how colleges hosting camps could be subject to KHSAA regulation.

 

Regarding the former, I believe that between the potentially illegal practices reported on this site and those reported elsewhere, the disregard for this requirement may be systemic. Next year, KHSAA may have to make some unannounced practice visits after the dead period.

I believe there are two issues here that need to be separated. One is the applicability of KHSAA requirements to padded college camps and the other is on organized team padded practices with contact before Aug 1st.

 

On the former, it is my understanding that it is the high school program that is regulated and not the participant. I don't see how colleges hosting camps could be subject to KHSAA regulation.

 

Regarding the former, I believe that between the potentially illegal practices reported on this site and those reported elsewhere, the disregard for this requirement may be systemic. Next year, KHSAA may have to make some unannounced practice visits after the dead period.

 

I understand what you are explaining about College camps. But when teams go together for Camp they typically go and run their own pratcies. They just use the campus for the facilities. Team Camps that I have been apart of never involve College Coaches.

I understand what you are explaining about College camps. But when teams go together for Camp they typically go and run their own pratcies. They just use the campus for the facilities. Team Camps that I have been apart of never involve College Coaches.

 

I don't know how you enforce that scenario. The big question is What is the high school program's liability if a kid gets hurt? Everybody signs a waiver that protects the host college, but will that protect the high school program? Is there legal precedent?

I believe there are two issues here that need to be separated. One is the applicability of KHSAA requirements to padded college camps and the other is on organized team padded practices with contact before Aug 1st.

 

On the former, it is my understanding that it is the high school program that is regulated and not the participant. I don't see how colleges hosting camps could be subject to KHSAA regulation.

 

Regarding the former, I believe that between the potentially illegal practices reported on this site and those reported elsewhere, the disregard for this requirement may be systemic. Next year, KHSAA may have to make some unannounced practice visits after the dead period.

 

KHSAA needs to update Bylaw 23 to state that the only time full pads can be worn with contact occurring will be:

 

1.) The 10 practice days of Spring Practice.

2.) After August 1st until the end of the regular and playoff seasons.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.