Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kentucky Recruiting 2016

Featured Replies

Another thing to keep in mind is the scholarship situation. This is one thing that scares me about this class as traditionally Cal has been able to sign almost as many as he wants. This year it may get a little iffy.

 

Pretty sure there is only 12 scholarship players right now, but if Wynard enrolls early he will make 13.

 

So from my estimates it is going to be tough to squeeze out 5-6 spots for this class. In theory you could take Floreal's scholarship from him since he was initially a walk on, so that's one. Then you lose Poythress to graduation so that is two. You can assume that Skal and Murray are likely to go pro so that gives you four.

 

Now here is where it gets tricky. Nobody else is a lock to go IMO. You could have 2-3 more, or you could have zero more. The biggest thing is going to be who has the chance and who leaves out of Ulis, Briscoe, and Lee. If they all leave then that's a massive hole to fill next season and gives you 6-7 slots. However, if they don't leave you only have four with Killeya-Jones already taking one.

 

Going to be very interesting to say the least. We all have dreams for a class like Fox/Simmons, Monk/Alkins, Bridges, Killeya-Jones, Giles/Gabriel, and a possible big but going to be interesting to see how many slots are there to fill. That is why IMO you must hit the right targets in this class and sign the guys you really want. Very tricky recruiting season for Cal and another reason the Simmons/Fox saga will be intriguing. I guess you could have Fox and Simmons instead of either Monk (if he even would leave ARK anyway) or Rawle Alkins but not sure I like that as much (especially if Ulis or Briscoe return).

 

 

For those keeping up, those penciled in for next year already should be....

 

Hawkins

Willis

Mulder

Matthews

Humphries

Wynard

Killeya-Jones

 

With Lee, Ulis, and Briscoe the wild cards.

  • Replies 281
  • Views 52.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DeAaron Fox confirmed for Big Blue Madness, Simmons just wrapped up a visit and is set to announce in a couple weeks.

 

I'm very interested in seeing how this plays out. I love Fox's game and much prefer him to Simmons and I'm sure Cal is the same. Would hate to strike out on both, but not sure you need both. How in the world is this going to play out? With all the love Cal has gave Simmons over the years will he burn him last minute?

 

I think one of Ulis/Briscoe returns next year, so I think Cal has some leeway. I say go after Fox with all you've got.

Briscoe is gone.

 

You sure? I mean in all likelihood he could be. If Booker can go after one season than so can Briscoe, but Booker can shoot. With what the Warriors are doing the NBA is over emphasizing shooting. Briscoe has a solid game but with so many elite PG's out there today not sure if he will be able to showcase enough in one season to make the leap. He very well could and probably will but I think it's far from set in stone.

I think one of Ulis/Briscoe returns next year, so I think Cal has some leeway. I say go after Fox with all you've got.

 

Me too. I think he can get Fox if he wants him, but not sure if Simmons would keep that from happening.

 

I hope Simmons likes OSU as much as he does the Cats, I'm sure it will be hard to Cal to steer him another way. The two have had a relationship for years as well as KP and most of the staff. I mean what do you tell him? Sorry Kobe, you messed up this summer and didn't bring it, should have played harder?

I mean what do you tell him? Sorry Kobe, you messed up this summer and didn't bring it, should have played harder?

 

Tough call on that.

Tough call on that.

 

Really tough. But I guess that's why he's Cal and I'm in my office talking sports on a forum. :)

Well seems like Cal has told Simmons he needs more time to evaluate and Simmons has pushed his announcement date back. Looks like the beginning of the break up right there.

You sure? I mean in all likelihood he could be. If Booker can go after one season than so can Briscoe, but Booker can shoot. With what the Warriors are doing the NBA is over emphasizing shooting. Briscoe has a solid game but with so many elite PG's out there today not sure if he will be able to showcase enough in one season to make the leap. He very well could and probably will but I think it's far from set in stone.

 

While I haven't been covering national talent anywhere close to as long as GT has, Briscoe is one of the best pg's I've ever seen coming out of high school in person. Physically, he is already a man among boys when it comes to most other players at the PG position. He absolutely will be considered a first round draft pick if he plays up to his potential this season.

 

As far as Lee, he isn't going anywhere after this year. Really good kid off the court but not even close to being drafted right now.

While I haven't been covering national talent anywhere close to as long as GT has' date=' Briscoe is one of the best pg's I've ever seen coming out of high school in person. Physically, he is already a man among boys when it comes to most other players at the PG position. He absolutely will be considered a first round draft pick if he plays up to his potential this season. As far as Lee, he isn't going anywhere after this year. Really good kid off the court but not even close to being drafted right now.[/quote']

 

"If he plays up to his potential". Thus why I said he probably will, but with the three guard experiment it will be interesting to see how he is showcased. We all know he's big, strong, and a tough competitor, we all know he can score. But with Ulis and Murray we will have to see how often he gets to run the team. As you said though he is still a big time prospect no matter what but nothing is set in stone when it comes to the draft.

 

Great assessment though and I agree with what you said.

 

As for Lee I also lean toward him coming back but he has had the potential to be drafted the last couple of seasons. We all remember the story of how after he first year Cal hand to bring Lee in talk to him about his options after he received so many calls and and had so many talks with NBA guys asking about Lee. We also know the NBA always likes their "project" and "potential" players. With the front court less crowded Lee may have a shot to get more exposure, whether that turns into the draft is yet to be determined but it very well could.

You guys know I'm a big fan of Briscoe, but the reality is being a man amongst boys in high school doesn't really have much relevance when you move up to the next levels. I'm not sure he is a lock big time NBA prospect yet...

You guys know I'm a big fan of Briscoe' date=' but the reality is being a man amongst boys in high school doesn't really have much relevance when you move up to the next levels. I'm not sure he is a lock big time NBA prospect yet...[/quote']

 

Exactly. Call it the Harrison syndrome. Being big and dominating high school, but showing their true talent level/skill set once at college where everybody is bigger, faster, and more athletic.

Miles Bridges final 3:

 

UK

MichSt

IU

Miles Bridges final 3:

 

UK

MichSt

IU

 

Cal or Izzo...

Cal or Izzo...

 

Matt Jones says he's now hearing Izzo is the favorite.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.