Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

CNN Reporter

Featured Replies

As is the case in most situations. However there have been plenty of "experimental" situations made up that expose loan companies, realtors, car salesmen, department stores, etc and how white customers are treated differently than black customers. Is white privilege prevalent? Not like it was in the 80s and 90s but it is still around.

 

My father always said he had to work 3 times as hard as a white man to get where he is today. That is an example of white privilege. When a black dude does something that becomes a "history making moment" normally white privilege comes into play.

 

And my "white" son who graduated with a 4.0 GPA with a resume crammed full of everything colleges want got half the academic scholarship money that his "black" friend did who graduated with a "B" average, lower ACT score and hardly any communtiy service time. He started to have animosity toward his friend but we have to keep explaining it wasn't his friends fault and all is good with them.

 

I wish we could all just be treated equal based on the same criteria or work performed. We won't get rid of racism until everyone is treated equal today instead of being punished for what happened to Blacks before a lot of us were even born.

  • Replies 100
  • Views 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
Where was the animosity ?

 

What emotion then set him off to make such a statement about the Holocaust survivors?

Some deep-seated feeling set this guy off.

And my "white" son who graduated with a 4.0 GPA with a resume crammed full of everything colleges want got half the academic scholarship money that his "black" friend did who graduated with a "B" average, lower ACT score and hardly any communtiy service time. He started to have animosity toward his friend but we have to keep explaining it wasn't his friends fault and all is good with them.

 

I wish we could all just be treated equal based on the same criteria or work performed. We won't get rid of racism until everyone is treated equal today instead of being punished for what happened to Blacks before a lot of us were even born.

 

We all wish we could be treated equal for the same criteria or work performed but that will never happen regardless of race. Even without skin tone a lot of times it is still about who you know and not what you know.

Louis Farrakhan, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Jeremiah Wright and their followers for starters. Liberal Jews allied themselves with the black civil rights leaders in the 50s and 60s but antisemitism is still pretty widespread in this country among blacks and whites as well for reasons that I don't pretend to fuly understand.

 

I get the above but I didn't see any proof of animosity in his short tweet.

 

Do you not agree with his overall point? Blacks had it worse than immigrants?

And my "white" son who graduated with a 4.0 GPA with a resume crammed full of everything colleges want got half the academic scholarship money that his "black" friend did who graduated with a "B" average, lower ACT score and hardly any communtiy service time. He started to have animosity toward his friend but we have to keep explaining it wasn't his friends fault and all is good with them.

 

I wish we could all just be treated equal based on the same criteria or work performed. We won't get rid of racism until everyone is treated equal today instead of being punished for what happened to Blacks before a lot of us were even born.

 

Just basically told your son's story in the Rutgers professor thread. I've seen it happen first hand and I'd imagine it happens all the time when it comes to admitting students, as well as scholarships at many universities.

What emotion then set him off to make such a statement about the Holocaust survivors?

Some deep-seated feeling set this guy off.

 

Like I've said a few times in this thread I took him as simply pointing out that blacks had it worse than even the immigrants in the 40s.

 

1. You agree?

2. How can we tell from his tweet that he has animosity? Is it possible he's just stating a fact?

  • Author
Like I've said a few times in this thread I took him as simply pointing out that blacks had it worse than even the immigrants in the 40s.

 

1. You agree?

2. How can we tell from his tweet that he has animosity? Is it possible he's just stating a fact?

 

Sterling and Toure can can dislike someone for who they are, not what they are. M. Johnson cannot help being born black and the Holocaust survivors could not help being born of Jewish parents. Now if someone dislikes them for their personalities that is another matter. Both Sterling and Toure seemed to dislike people for the color of their skin or for people who had horrible acts heaped on them for their religion. In both cases they seem to be petty individuals.

Sterling and Toure can can dislike someone for who they are, not what they are. M. Johnson cannot help being born black and the Holocaust survivors could not help being born of Jewish parents. Now if someone dislikes them for their personalities that is another matter. Both Sterling and Toure seemed to dislike people for the color of their skin or for people who had horrible acts heaped on them for their religion. In both cases they seem to be petty individuals.

 

Toure doesn't dislike white people. To assume he does based off of a tweet that he profusely apologized for isn't correct. He's actually one of the more level headed black journalists around and if given the opportunity to speak on his feelings without the restrictions of 140 characters he would be able to explain things better.

 

I would expect something like this from Bomani Jones. Not Toure.

And my "white" son who graduated with a 4.0 GPA with a resume crammed full of everything colleges want got half the academic scholarship money that his "black" friend did who graduated with a "B" average, lower ACT score and hardly any communtiy service time. He started to have animosity toward his friend but we have to keep explaining it wasn't his friends fault and all is good with them.

 

I wish we could all just be treated equal based on the same criteria or work performed. We won't get rid of racism until everyone is treated equal today instead of being punished for what happened to Blacks before a lot of us were even born.

 

 

Agreed. And before all of us were born-black parents in Africa sold their children into slavery. I wish this little piece of reality would be told too.

  • Author
Toure doesn't dislike white people. To assume he does based off of a tweet that he profusely apologized for isn't correct. He's actually one of the more level headed black journalists around and if given the opportunity to speak on his feelings without the restrictions of 140 characters he would be able to explain things better.

 

I would expect something like this from Bomani Jones. Not Toure.

 

Since I do not know Toure, I will accept what you say about him. But, back to my original question, should he not receive some discipline for making the statement? I know nothing about Sterling either, but he apologized and look at what is happening to him.

Since I do not know Toure, I will accept what you say about him. But, back to my original question, should he not receive some discipline for making the statement? I know nothing about Sterling either, but he apologized and look at what is happening to him.

 

Toure isn't governed by the NBA and IMO his words don't compare to Sterling's. When did Sterling apologize? I missed that.

Since I do not know Toure, I will accept what you say about him. But, back to my original question, should he not receive some discipline for making the statement? I know nothing about Sterling either, but he apologized and look at what is happening to him.

 

People like Sterling have the ability to use their wealth and power to act upon their personal biases to make tens of thousands of people's lives miserable. I'm not even 100 percent sure who Toure' is, but I'm going to bet he'll never have the ability to use his personal biases to adversely affect people's lives the way a Sterling can.

I'm not equating him with Sterling, I don't even know what was said. But the fact that he can't have as big of an effect as Sterling doesn't diminish what ever was said.

 

I'm not a Billionaire but if I went on TV or wrote an article that was in someway insensitive to others, then I absolutely need to be held accountable. The fact that I'm not of a higher stature should not matter, wrong is wrong.

I'm not equating him with Sterling, I don't even know what was said. But the fact that he can't have as big of an effect as Sterling doesn't diminish what ever was said.

 

I'm not a Billionaire but if I went on TV or wrote an article that was in someway insensitive to others, then I absolutely need to be held accountable. The fact that I'm not of a higher stature should not matter, wrong is wrong.

 

That's fine and dandy, but some wrongs are bigger than others. Many people seem to be equating the two as being equal, and that just ain't the case.

That's fine and dandy, but some wrongs are bigger than others. Many people seem to be equating the two as being equal, and that just ain't the case.

 

I agree and I don't equate them.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.