Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Derek Willis Considering Transfer

Featured Replies

It wouldn't surprise me but the 3 spot is the least loaded position depth chart wise.

  • Replies 46
  • Views 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author

My take...Forde is Forde but there's no way he puts a rumor like that out unless he has what he feels to be a legitimate source. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

My take...Forde is Forde but there's no way he puts a rumor like that out unless he has what he feels to be a legitimate source. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

 

I agree.

So many haters, man it feels good to be king.

 

UK is not king.

 

They're an entire regular season, 3-4 games in the SEC tournament, and 6 ridiculously stressful, unpredictable NCAA tournament games away from being king.

 

Good grief, as a UK fan, UK fans are annoying.

I think Willis is a nice player who has some potential if he becomes more consistent shooting the ball. If Polson can play on this year's team, then you'd think Willis can play on some of the upcoming teams.

 

Because of his size and skill set, he could actually be somewhat unique to our team. Cal's recruiting emphasis is on uber-athletic players who can make plays, not lanky wings who are tweeners. I look at him and see a 6'9 kid who looks capable of making some shots and passes well enough to come off the bench.

, and that despite the questions from hacks, he understands his role. He also got what I thought was a considerably fair chance to showcase some things he could do, even playing some spot duty at the beginning of the conference schedule. With Cal's reliance on freshmen, he should have opportunities early in the season, and it's up to him to do things with those.

 

Even if he doesn't play another minute the rest of his career but just sticks out the rest of his time, he'll have tons of doors opened for him that just wouldn't be there otherwise.

 

 

At the same time, sure, if he can play at UK, he can play anywhere, and he's going to get lots of opportunities to improve by playing against the best in practice. However, if he's wanting to be a two year starter, the focal point of an offense, or even someone who wants to maximize his chances of going to the professional ranks, then maybe UK isn't the place for him.

 

Personally, I hope he stays and look forward to seeing him develop, as I think he could be someone who surprises folks as he gets older.

Practice all season next year with this UK team will make him a better player than anything else he can do. I agree with redshirt and then come out with a vengeance and ready to roll the next year.

UK is not king.

 

They're an entire regular season, 3-4 games in the SEC tournament, and 6 ridiculously stressful, unpredictable NCAA tournament games away from being king.

 

Good grief, as a UK fan, UK fans are annoying.

In college basketball, UK is the king when looking at the totality of the program and what the program can boast on its resume.

In college basketball, UK is the king when looking at the totality of the program and what the program can boast on its resume.

 

Yep!

I think Willis is a nice player who has some potential if he becomes more consistent shooting the ball. If Polson can play on this year's team, then you'd think Willis can play on some of the upcoming teams.

 

Because of his size and skill set, he could actually be somewhat unique to our team. Cal's recruiting emphasis is on uber-athletic players who can make plays, not lanky wings who are tweeners. I look at him and see a 6'9 kid who looks capable of making some shots and passes well enough to come off the bench.

, and that despite the questions from hacks, he understands his role. He also got what I thought was a considerably fair chance to showcase some things he could do, even playing some spot duty at the beginning of the conference schedule. With Cal's reliance on freshmen, he should have opportunities early in the season, and it's up to him to do things with those.

 

Even if he doesn't play another minute the rest of his career but just sticks out the rest of his time, he'll have tons of doors opened for him that just wouldn't be there otherwise.

 

 

At the same time, sure, if he can play at UK, he can play anywhere, and he's going to get lots of opportunities to improve by playing against the best in practice. However, if he's wanting to be a two year starter, the focal point of an offense, or even someone who wants to maximize his chances of going to the professional ranks, then maybe UK isn't the place for him.

 

Personally, I hope he stays and look forward to seeing him develop, as I think he could be someone who surprises folks as he gets older.

Maybe I'm confused but I thought the word in the UK basketball camp is that shooting the ball consistently was one of his biggest attributes. If your comment is based on what little action he saw this season then I don't know if it's enough playing time to base a shooting accuracy judgement.

Maybe I'm confused but I thought the word in the UK basketball camp is that shooting the ball consistently was one of his biggest attributes. If your comment is based on what little action he saw this season then I don't know if it's enough playing time to base a shooting accuracy judgement.

 

 

I don't think he's a "bad" shooter, or that the book is closed on him. I just think he's a guy who struggled as a freshman to adjust to the next level. He isn't someone that I saw in high school and thought "it's going in" almost every time he released it.

 

With the way UK has been recruiting, he's most likely going to have to earn his minutes by being able to come off the bench cold and immediately knock down shots (different from being in a rhythm and/or having the chance to shoot yourself out of a slump).

 

Outside of being able to stretch defenses, he's not really going to add more value than whoever Cal would be able to have in place of him (past maybe making some good passes and being a steadying influence that gets everyone settled down and in what they want to run).

 

I got the impression that when he was in some of the more meaningful games, he'd been given the green light to take a good shot if it was there. I really don't know why else they'd be playing him if in semi-meaningful minutes if that weren't the case when you could have Poythress or Lee getting those minutes.

Derek Willis said he wasn't going anywhere and it was annoying that people keep bringing it up.

Forde is a troll of the highest magnitude. He was the only person with a source that said Willis was transferring?

Forde is a troll of the highest magnitude. He was the only person with a source that said Willis was transferring?

 

Right when I saw it was Forde who was the only one beating this drum I knew Willis was staying at UK.

I guess he'll be content with going along for the ride again.

If he were to redshirt next year, would he still have to sit a year if he transferred the next year?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.