Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who will be Kentucky's coach next year?

Featured Replies

I can't stop laughing. What are you smoking??

 

History has proven that the majority lack vision, and only praise those with it years later in hindsight, then turn around to laugh at present day visionaries, while they wonder why humans from the past had so much difficulty seeing the brilliance of yesteryear's visionaries when it was displayed right before their eyes.

 

Although an easy 3rd grade level read, the majority of folks who've read "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" take it at face value. Typically visionaries are the only ones who can identify with it metaphorically.

 

Jarod Polson, the very high IQ'd B-Ball player, I'm guessing puts his pants on the same way all of your celebrated coaching idols do, and were once his age as well.

 

Although a collegiate player these last 4 years, it's not hard to imagine that he too doubled as an unofficial "assistant" all the while.

 

Cal knew what he was doing when he grabbed him up. This kid showed more smarts at the high school level than even some of the NBA Draftees had yet to show in their Freshman year all the way to the finals of the big tourney.

 

Sorry that you can't wrap your "informed" mind around it.

  • Replies 187
  • Views 19.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
History has proven that the majority lack vision, and only praise those with it years later in hindsight, then turn around to laugh at present day visionaries, while they wonder why humans from the past had so much difficulty seeing the brilliance of yesteryear's visionaries when it was displayed right before their eyes.

 

Although an easy 3rd grade level read, the majority of folks who've read "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" take it at face value. Typically visionaries are the only ones who can identify with it metaphorically.

 

Jarod Polson, the very high IQ'd B-Ball player, I'm guessing puts his pants on the same way all of your celebrated coaching idols do, and were once his age as well.

 

Although a collegiate player these last 4 years, it's not hard to imagine that he too doubled as an unofficial "assistant" all the while.

 

Cal knew what he was doing when he grabbed him up. This kid showed more smarts at the high school level than even some of the NBA Draftees had yet to show in their Freshman year all the way to the finals of the big tourney.

 

Sorry that you can't wrap your "informed" mind around it.

 

Not arguing with you one or way or the other, but could you give some examples of his "high basketball IQ" you speak of?

History has proven that the majority lack vision, and only praise those with it years later in hindsight, then turn around to laugh at present day visionaries, while they wonder why humans from the past had so much difficulty seeing the brilliance of yesteryear's visionaries when it was displayed right before their eyes.

 

Although an easy 3rd grade level read, the majority of folks who've read "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" take it at face value. Typically visionaries are the only ones who can identify with it metaphorically.

 

Jarod Polson, the very high IQ'd B-Ball player, I'm guessing puts his pants on the same way all of your celebrated coaching idols do, and were once his age as well.

 

Although a collegiate player these last 4 years, it's not hard to imagine that he too doubled as an unofficial "assistant" all the while.

 

Cal knew what he was doing when he grabbed him up. This kid showed more smarts at the high school level than even some of the NBA Draftees had yet to show in their Freshman year all the way to the finals of the big tourney.

 

Sorry that you can't wrap your "informed" mind around it.

 

I'm sorry, but if you really truly think that a college kid, just graduated, can coach a top 3 program ever, I feel like you don't understand the pressure of coaching well. I'm not doubting that the kid might have a future in coaching, or that he has a high basketball IQ, or that he has been basically an assistant for the past four years. I'm saying there are pressures that come with that first chair on the bench that are tremendous. You can have all of the high IQ you want. But if you haven't experienced a situation as the lead decision maker on any level you are ill prepared.

 

It's not like the MLB or NBA teams that hire recently retired guys either (though how many of those have you seen happen the year after the player retires). Those guys at least have some professional knowledge and usually have 12+ years experience and eat, breathed, and slept their sport for those years.

 

Make him a GA, make him the video assistant or director of basketball ops or even an assistant coach. But to put a kid in the head chair with stakes as high as UK is setting the kid up to fail.

 

Just my opinion....

Not arguing with you one or way or the other, but could you give some examples of his "high basketball IQ" you speak of?

 

Anyone who witnessed him play a couple years in the Sweet 16 knows what I'm talking about. With every second on the court he displayed high leadership, and only correct decisions with every move he made while understanding the big picture every step of the way. He never winged anything. Everything he did was calculated, schooling anyone with his pure smarts that had the pleasure, on or off the court, of having the great fortune of watching him in action. He's not the only smart player that I've ever seen at the high school level, but hands down the smartest that I had the fortune to observe. Just watching him made me understand things that I had yet to ponder about the game. Before ever seeing him I had never heard of him, but immediately I said to myself "Would you get a load of this kid", and "Don't take your eyes off of him if you really want to know how the game of basketball should be played". He spoiled me, because most of what I saw on the court afterwards paled by comparison (not counting the quickness of the likes of say someone like Anthony Hickey). I had to lower my standards just to enjoy any games by others following for if they didn't demonstrate the sort of smarts that Polson displayed it seemed all too pedestrian by comparison.

Anyone who witnessed him play a couple years in the Sweet 16 knows what I'm talking about. With every second on the court he displayed high leadership, and only correct decisions with every move he made while understanding the big picture every step of the way. He never winged anything. Everything he did was calculated, schooling anyone with his pure smarts that had the pleasure, on or off the court, of having the great fortune of watching him in action. He's not the only smart player that I've ever seen at the high school level, but hands down the smartest that I had the fortune to observe. Just watching him made me understand things that I had yet to ponder about the game. Before ever seeing him I had never heard of him, but immediately I said to myself "Would you get a load of this kid", and "Don't take your eyes off of him if you really want to know how the game of basketball should be played". He spoiled me, because most of what I saw on the court afterwards paled by comparison (not counting the quickness of the likes of say someone like Anthony Hickey). I had to lower my standards just to enjoy any games by others following for if they didn't demonstrate the sort of smarts that Polson displayed it seemed all too pedestrian by comparison.

 

Having a high basketball IQ for high school playing in the state of Kentucky is a heck of a lot of different than coaching at the University of Kentucky. There are a ton of players great basketball IQs, but it doesn't mean they will all be great coaches, let alone at one of the prestigious schools in the country. I also watched every second Polson ever played at UK and while he tried hard and did his best, I never once thought "man, this kid has a better basketball IQ than anyone on the court."

I have no foresight how his smarts of the game would translate to coaching. I have no idea if coaching is anything that he'd like to do with his future.

 

It's merely a fantasy of mine to see him take his high IQ to a big time coaching level, and I'm confident that for him it would translate. You in fact need his kind of IQ to be coach. He has the understanding of the game part solidly in his makeup. He certainly has had a decent teacher to aspire to in the event he'd like to coach, during his time as a player, and likely an unofficial "assistant", while at UK under, what's his name?... Oh yeah ... Cal.

 

He didn't get a ton of minutes at UK, and when he did, he was merely a roll player or distributer. At the top college level he was adequate, but limited by comparison to the more athletically gifted, but nonetheless held his own, for his smarts made up for not being completely in the same league as the more athletically gifted.

 

In the arena of Division I college ball with him as the roll player, it's not likely many had the opportunity to see him in action to vividly display his prowess. At high school level he certainly did, and his delivery of that prowess was no small peanuts. Do not let the words "High School" fool you into thinking "Big Deal it was just High School". There are some college coaches that have never come anywhere close to his level of play even in college ball, but that didn't keep them from understanding the game well enough to coach it.

 

Brad Stevens comes to mind. His wet behind the ears look certainly at first fooled a lot. He had a decent playing career, but was never going to be too huge of a threat there, but his IQ did translate magnificently as a young coach, and look where that got him, and look where he is now.

 

Will Polson ever prove to be a big time coaching stud? I don't know, but with his passion, experience, and solid knowledge of the game, I like his chances.

 

Considering that I do not know his ultimate aims, I'm just spitting out words to see where they splatter, but from where I stand, I've little doubt that it's not too tall of a job for this young man, who's young now, but just like all of us will have, if he's lucky, yearly birthday celebrations to add to his experience, and at his present age, is beyond 99% of guys just graduating.

 

Brad Stevens comes to mind. His wet behind the ears look certainly at first fooled a lot. He had a decent playing career, but was never going to be too huge of a threat there, but his IQ did translate magnificently as a young coach, and look where that got him, and look where he is now.

 

 

Don't let that baby face fool you... Brad Stevens spent 7 seasons as an assistant at a DI school before he took over at a mid major program, albeit a successful one. There is a big difference in taking over at Butler and at Kentucky. And a big difference taking over as a 30 year old with 7 years experience and a 23 year old taking over with 0 years experience.

Don't let that baby face fool you... Brad Stevens spent 7 seasons as an assistant at a DI school before he took over at a mid major program, albeit a successful one. There is a big difference in taking over at Butler and at Kentucky. And a big difference taking over as a 30 year old with 7 years experience and a 23 year old taking over with 0 years experience.

 

"Zero" is it?

History has proven that the majority lack vision' date=' and only praise those with it years later in hindsight, then turn around to laugh at present day visionaries, while they wonder why humans from the past had so much difficulty seeing the brilliance of yesteryear's visionaries when it was displayed right before their eyes. Although an easy 3rd grade level read, the majority of folks who've read "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" take it at face value. Typically visionaries are the only ones who can identify with it metaphorically. Jarod Polson, the very high IQ'd B-Ball player, I'm guessing puts his pants on the same way all of your celebrated coaching idols do, and were once his age as well. Although a collegiate player these last 4 years, it's not hard to imagine that he too doubled as an unofficial "assistant" all the while. Cal knew what he was doing when he grabbed him up. This kid showed more smarts at the high school level than even some of the NBA Draftees had yet to show in their Freshman year all the way to the finals of the big tourney. Sorry that you can't wrap your "informed" mind around it.[/quote']

 

As many on here know, Jarrod was on my AAU team for awhile the spring/summer before his senior year in HS, and that coach O and Cal called me the night before he went to the first open gym at UK, asking me about him and my thoughts, as well as letting me know their intentions, also asking for his phone number.

 

Well, Jarrod let me know that he was in NKY today at the Florence mall and to stop by, I was very disappointed that not many people were there to meet Jarrod and Hood! Did anyone advertise this being at Cardboard Heroes? As if it wasn't for the text message from Jarrod, I wouldn't have known they were in the area.

 

Well, I asked him if he was going to be a preacher or a coach, it got Hood asking him several times to answer my question, lol, which he did. Stay tuned.....

As many on here know, Jarrod was on my AAU team for awhile the spring/summer before his senior year in HS, and that coach O and Cal called me the night before he went to the first open gym at UK, asking me about him and my thoughts, as well as letting me know their intentions, also asking for his phone number.

 

Well, Jarrod let me know that he was in NKY today at the Florence mall and to stop by, I was very disappointed that not many people were there to meet Jarrod and Hood! Did anyone advertise this being at Cardboard Heroes? As if it wasn't for the text message from Jarrod, I wouldn't have known they were in the area.

 

Well, I asked him if he was going to be a preacher or a coach, it got Hood asking him several times to answer my question, lol, which he did. Stay tuned.....

 

I wouldn't mind Polson or Hood teething down here under Coach O.

I definitely think Coach Cal is gone. Will be interesting to see if the new coach can convince any of the current roster and the incoming recruits to stay.

 

Who do you see as the coach next year, and if it's not Cal who do you see it being?

 

You seriously need to give it up!

  • Author
You seriously need to give it up!

 

Give what up? Life? Pop? Chips? Ice Cream? Cookies? Sex?

"Zero" is it?

 

Uh.... Yeah... It is. No years experience coaching. Unsure what you're implying?

Give what up? Life? Pop? Chips? Ice Cream? Cookies? Sex?

 

Any or all of the above and posting!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.