DeSean Jackson Released due to...

Joe Reedy

about 2 hours ago

Would Bengals take a chance on DeSean Jackson? It's not as crazy as it sounds

Marvin Lewis' comments about DeSean Jackson from November of 2009, when everyone was still saying the organization was out of its mind for taking Jerome Simpson over Jackson (and for that you can blame a certain former offensive coordinator).

Said Lewis: "No. DeSean's a great player. I grew up with DeSean's mom. DeSean's grandfather was my minister as a young kid growing up. He went to Long Beach Poly, and I coached at Long Beach State, so I know everybody there."

Now granted, the chances of the Bengals signing him are slim. I'm just saying it's not a zero chance scenario that some might think.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are Eagles players being interviewed BEFORE Jackson was released.

Eagles players weigh in on the Jackson situation | Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia

Trent Cole mentioned the "culture" word. Seems from many including Brian Westbrook on Sirius NFL interview, that he didn't fit into the culture of the locker room Chip Kelly wanted. This latest stuff probably just was more than they wanted to deal with. They could have saved more cap room releasing him after June . Chip must have wanted him our of there now.

There seems to be way more to it than just alleged gang affiliation, which has not been stated or proven as of now. He certainly hung out with gang members or had pics taken with them He hasn't been arrested and doesn't appear he will. He is an outspoken player who appears not to have bought into the Chip Kelly culture. He was making 10-12 mil next year and maybe the Eagles just thought there were just a lot of factors that weren't worth the risk for that kind of dough.

He will be picked up and may get close to that type of money, but I doubt it. My guess is he will settle for a 1-2 year contract in the 6-8 mil range per year and try to earn another big one.

On a side note, Marvin is friends with the family, according to Reedy (who now covers the Indians) on twitter. Not saying the Bengals will sign him, but I bet they kick the tires, as will most teams. He is a border line #1 and solid #2. He has proven he can stretch the field and get separation, that is always a hot commodity.

I agree there is more to it. You don't just actively try and dump an explosive play maker like Jackson for no reason.

Not saying he is anything remotely like Aaron Hernandez, but having anything closely related to him may be enough to cut bait???

Edited by bugatti

Is there proof that he is a gang member, or just speculation.

To me the team is justifying a move that the city wouldn't be happy with..

Something to do with a rap label he is a part of. There was a murder or something, but Jackson wasn't involved or even in the city it happened in. It was totally unrelated to Desean but he knew the guys or something, they were his boys or part of his rap label or something like that.

I agree, Chip wanted him gone and they knew the public would be outraged. I can understand both points of view, I would be mad if I was an Eagles fan. But, I can see where ownership is coming from if they want to go a certain way with their franchise (much like Wizards did in NBA by getting rid of knuckle heads and bringing in positive veteran influences).

Something to do with a rap label he is a part of. There was a murder or something' date=' but Jackson wasn't involved or even in the city it happened in. It was totally unrelated to Desean but he knew the guys or something, they were his boys or part of his rap label or something like that. I agree, Chip wanted him gone and they knew the public would be outraged. I can understand both points of view, I would be mad if I was an Eagles fan. But, I can see where ownership is coming from if they want to go a certain way with their franchise (much like Wizards did in NBA by getting rid of knuckle heads and bringing in positive veteran influences).[/quote']

I still remember Ron Artest going on National TV., thanking his hood.

Is there proof that he is a gang member, or just speculation.

To me the team is justifying a move that the city wouldn't be happy with..

From the article:

Rather, sources close to Jackson and within the Eagles' organization say, it originally was Jackson's off-field behavior that concerned the front office. A bad attitude, an inconsistent work ethic, missed meetings and a lack of chemistry with head coach Chip Kelly were the original reasons for his fall from grace, sources told NJ.com.

And when the Eagles looked more deeply into why Jackson was missing meetings, they found that his friends were becoming a more powerful -- and negative -- influence in his life.

Then, suddenly, the Eagles had even more serious concerns when they were revealed by NJ.com -- Jackson's continued association with reputed Los Angeles street gang members who have been connected to two homicides since 2010.

Jackson was, however, associated with Theron Shakir, one of the two men charged with the murder. Along with co-defendant Marques Binns, Shakir is a purported member of the Crips. In addition, Shakir, known as "T-Ron," is a rapper who recorded for Jaccpot Records, a label owned by Jackson. The two were close enough that they appear together frequently in photographs -- including pictures posted by Jackson to Instagram while Shakir sat in jail awaiting trial for the teen's execution.

This time, Jackson's name surfaced as part of an investigation into a 2012 gang-related murder that occurred outside a South Los Angeles business where a party had taken place. The building was owned or leased by a member of Jackson's family, police said.

During a search of the building, Crosson told NJ.com investigators found several documents belonging to Jackson, including a car title, a gun permit issued in New Jersey and credit-card receipts.

Despite Jackson's name having come up in connection with two gang-related murders involving Crips, Crosson said police have no hard evidence that Jackson is a member of the gang, which was formed in the late 1960’s and has an estimated 35,000 members across the country. Crosson said, however, the Jackson routinely flashes Crip gang signs in photos on social media -- and even on television during an NFL game.

"You don't want to see anybody throwing up gang signs like he did in the Redskins game last year," Crosson said. "Those were neighborhood Crip gang signs and he flashed them during a game. He may not be affiliated with the gang, but they don't [ordinarily] take kindly to those not in the gang throwing up those gang signs."

Last season, Jackson appeared to throw up the hand gesture in the face of Washington Redskins defensive back DeAngelo Hall after a reception in the Eagles' season-opener. Jackson also can be seen contorting his fingers to make a "C" -- another Crips sign -- in a music video he shot with former fellow Poly High student Snoop Dogg. Jackson flashed it yet again while wearing an Anaheim Angels hat on Instagram.

It won't take long for him to find a partner. He's a Reid guy so KC is an obvious landing spot but Carolina is starving for Wr help.

Sounds crazy but I would love to have him land in Dallas.

You would need permanent security and a therapist with him and Dez but man they could be a lethal combo on the field. I guess just as lethal off the field though. But could you imagine Jackson opposite of Bryant? Wow!

• 2 months later...