BGP Band and Choir

hoops5

I was in "The Sound Of Music" my junior year. My cherub-like singing voice got me the part of one of the VonTrapp kids. I played a husky 14 year Austrian leggero-tenor named Friedrich.

As far as instruments go, I play by ear. Took piano lessons for almost 12 years from a graduate of the Juilliard School - and he refused to teach me any longer when I was 17 and I told him I wouldn't audition to attend any musical conservatories. I'm a pretty solid guitar player, and I've dabbled in the mandolin & banjo (among others).

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in "The Sound Of Music" my junior year. My cherub-like singing voice got me the part of one of the VonTrapp kids. I played a husky 14 year Austrian leggero-tenor named Friedrich.

As far as instruments go, I play by ear. Took piano lessons for almost 12 years from a graduate of the Juilliard School - and he refused to teach me any longer when I was 17 and I told him I wouldn't audition to attend any musical conservatories. I'm a pretty solid guitar player, and I've dabbled in the mandolin & banjo (among others).

He probably said you were incorrigible!

I'm guessing R5 is stopping you from telling the rest of the story?

No, sir. Even if I said his BGP name it wouldn't violate any rules, right?

Heck, I'm trying to get another guy to join BGP and he, too, was an all-state choir member.

I hang with talented folks. And Randy.

In grade school I was a descant in our church choir at Most Blessed Sacrament. I was lead soprano in our Glee Club in high school and soloist at times. I used to sign the national anthem at our home games, and sang once at the girls LIT. One of my most cherished moments was my senior year of high school when our club performed at the J.A. Festival of Christmas Trees. It's the only performance my dad ever got to see because of his work schedule. I sang White Christmas solo a capella. It was our closing number. When I found my dad after the show, he was crying.

Much the same with my avatar. She sang the anthem at several G'town football and basketball games. Was named outstanding college freshman classical/operatic music vocalist by the KMEA. But my favorites were the solo performances at Georgetown - Ave Maria, O Holy Night, "The Prayer" (duet with a high school classmate who sang with U of L Cardinal singers); stuff like that. Never cried, but definitely got some goose bumps!