March 17, 201412 yr Great show. Patrick Ewing gave the League instant credibility. Didnt realize the racism that followed him around the league. Know wonder Georgetown played with a chip on their shoulders. Shame the Big East crumbled due to football.
March 17, 201412 yr Author Great show. Patrick Ewing gave the League instant credibility. Didnt realize the racism that followed him around the league. Know wonder Georgetown played with a chip on their shoulders. Shame the Big East crumbled due to football. Same here, I never really heard about it being that bad.
March 17, 201412 yr Great show. What I remember most back then was how much I hated Georgetown. I remember thinking they were a bunch of punks who played dirty. When Rollie beat Thompson for the NCAA Championship, I remember watching that game in awe. Villinova didn't miss a shot it seemed, it was incredible.
March 17, 201412 yr Same here, I never really heard about it being that bad. I didn't either... then you think about the fact that they had to go to both Boston and Philadelphia once every year and a light goes on.
March 17, 201412 yr Regarding my earlier post about not having enough time, Bill Simmons was tweeting last night that one of the storylines that had to be cut for time was that among the earliest invitees was Holy Cross, who declined the invite. That didn't work out so well.
March 17, 201412 yr Good show. Good insight, good memories. I really liked it. BTW whatever happened to Michael Graham? Did he play four years at Georgetown? I know the Hoyas got a bad rap to an extent during the 80's, but that dude was a Thug. #hockeygoon. Ed Pickney gave great perspective, loved him on the show. Mullen was really good as well. John Thompson was really good. He's gonna tell ya what he thinks. Boeheim was awesome too. I hated this guy during the 80's, as I thought he was a "whiner". The more I've watched his teams, and listened to what he says over the years the more and more I like him. I think he's probably a totally different guy than the one I thought he was when I was a kid. Was kicked off team next year due to academics and antics. Transferred to some small school in DC but never played again. Drafted in fourth round but never played in NBA
March 18, 201412 yr Just made my hate for what football did to damage the sport I grew up loving even stronger. Watching the Big East on TV as a kid was appointment television and I loved everything about it. It was also a big part of why I fell in love with UC once Huggs arrived and played the brand of basketball I identified with the sport. Every night was a street fight, and I loved it. I do find it ironic ESPN glossed over the fact it was the Pitt President that pushed turning down the billion dollar TV deal as he was in talks with the ACC and ESPN about leaving the league. If the network is going to tell the story, at least give the full story in how they were complicit in the demise of the Big East...
March 18, 201412 yr I wanted to be Chris Mullin when I was high school, even wore number 20. He switched over to 17 in the pros to pay homage to Havlicek. Do you remember how intimating Michael Graham was for G'town? Nobody shaved their heads then except for maybe Hagler.
March 18, 201412 yr Great show. Patrick Ewing gave the League instant credibility. Didnt realize the racism that followed him around the league. Know wonder Georgetown played with a chip on their shoulders. Shame the Big East crumbled due to football. And mediocre football at that.
March 18, 201412 yr As a huge college basketball fan, I loved this 30 for 30 and it truly saddens me that the money grab because of football television deals ruined something that was so great at one time. However, as someone who believes in capitalism, I can't be mad. I just wish it didn't have to be like that. Great documentary. I didn't grow up loving the Big East because in my house hold, you only watch Kentucky basketball. As I grew older, I loved watching the Big East, especially their tournaments. I'm excited for the great basketball that the ACC will continue to be able to provide, but its just sad that the history will be lost.
March 18, 201412 yr Was kicked off team next year due to academics and antics. Transferred to some small school in DC but never played again. Drafted in fourth round but never played in NBA Thank you sir for the information.
March 18, 201412 yr Great show. Patrick Ewing gave the League instant credibility. Didnt realize the racism that followed him around the league. Know wonder Georgetown played with a chip on their shoulders. I was too young to understand it but looking back, Ewing did face quite a bit of bigotry while playing. I remember I didn't care for him, felt he played dirty. Him and the rest of the Hoyas beating UK in the tournament in 83 (I think 1983?) certainly had a lot for my 7 year old mind to not like him also,
March 18, 201412 yr I was too young to understand it but looking back, Ewing did face quite a bit of bigotry while playing. I believe I read somewhere during a Georgetown vs Syracuse game people were throwing oranges at Ewing and Jim Boeheim stormed to the announcers desk, grabbed the mic and threaten the Syracuse fans that he would forfeit the game if fans continued to throw objects at Ewing. Does anyone remember seeing that game or reading about it somewhere else? If it is true, huge thumbs up to Boeheim.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.