February 26, 201412 yr I know that they are trying to make up snow dates, but.... I have two problems here. 1. This is a day to remember our service veterans and those who lost their lives fighting for their country. That deserves a day to enjoy your personal freedom, preferably by remembering the reason that you are off work. 2. The US, in general, needs to enforce some days off. This country is about as overworked as it gets in many sectors. There is nothing wrong with no business 5xs a year. People here feel guilty about taking vacation. Heck, I work my whole vacation. It blows.
February 26, 201412 yr Really? Most people I know are off on Memorial Day. Think about the number of people that work in retail, restaurants, movie theaters and other service type industries. No stores or restaurants (or at least very, very few) are closed. Or hospitals, police and fire stations, car dealerships, etc, etc. Just drive around town on Memorial day, and take a look at how many places are open. Somebody has to work in all those places. So while many, many people do have the day off, there a tons that do not. The United States doesn't come anywhere close to shutting down on Memorial day (or most other holidays aside from Christmas and Thanksgiving).
February 26, 201412 yr Really? Most people I know are off on Memorial Day.You must run in a narrow crowd. You don't know people that work at the hospital, local stores, restaurants, Emergency Services (Police, Fire etc), work at the stadium, car lots, marinas or parks? Way more people working that day than not. Only Government Offices, Schools, Banks, Lawyers and Doctors off in most areas.
February 26, 201412 yr Our Board said we will not go on that day. Here in Region 1 that is the opening day of baseball and softball regionals. It is a tradition that the area really loves.
February 26, 201412 yr You must run in a narrow crowd. You don't know people that work at the hospital, local stores, restaurants, Emergency Services (Police, Fire etc), work at the stadium, car lots, marinas or parks? Way more people working that day than not. Only Government Offices, Schools, Banks, Lawyers and Doctors off in most areas. Really? Most non-retail-or-restaurant small businesses in Louisville are closed. Most large corporations in Louisville are closed. I'd add accountants, office managers, technicians and laborers, and all sorts of other professions to people who don't work on Memorial Day. Heck, UPS out at the airport is trimmed down to almost nothing on Memorial Day and they're the largest employer in town.
February 26, 201412 yr Really? Most non-retail-or-restaurant small businesses in Louisville are closed. Most large corporations in Louisville are closed. I'd add accountants, office managers, technicians and laborers, and all sorts of other professions to people who don't work on Memorial Day. Heck, UPS out at the airport is trimmed down to almost nothing on Memorial Day and they're the largest employer in town. Get out and drive around on Memorial Day and see all of the people that are working. There may be other businesses that are closed and I applaud them, but I'll stand by that there are more people working than than everyone thinks on Memorial Day.
February 26, 201412 yr Really? Most non-retail-or-restaurant small businesses in Louisville are closed. Most large corporations in Louisville are closed. I'd add accountants, office managers, technicians and laborers, and all sorts of other professions to people who don't work on Memorial Day. Heck, UPS out at the airport is trimmed down to almost nothing on Memorial Day and they're the largest employer in town. I don't disagree with you, but again, it's not like everything is shut down on Memorial Day. Lots of people are lucky and do have it off. Lots of people don't.
February 26, 201412 yr Kids now days dont even know what Memorial Day is about, all they now is what their parents tell them and half of them dont know either or care. It isnt like most kids or even adults are going to visit the cemetery or anything. Just use it as a day off to sleep late. Memorial Day should be everyday if you really actually care. Kids dont care anymore as most adults dont either. Some parents are just a bunch of uniformed idiots that are bad examples to their own kids.
February 26, 201412 yr Really? Most people I know are off on Memorial Day. I haven't had a Memorial Day off in way more than a decade.
February 26, 201412 yr Really? Most people I know are off on Memorial Day. I think we need to have a little definitional exercise on the word "most". Neither Clyde nor I suggested that nobody works on Memorial Day, just that most of the people we know are not working. Most of the people we know are down at the lake, or watching Tora! Tora! Tora! on AMC for the 20th time or grilling in the backyard. Yes, lots of people work on Memorial Day.
February 26, 201412 yr I think we need to have a little definitional exercise on the word "most". Neither Clyde nor I suggested that nobody works on Memorial Day, just that most of the people we know are not working. Most of the people we know are down at the lake, or watching Tora! Tora! Tora! on AMC for the 20th time or grilling in the backyard. Yes, lots of people work on Memorial Day. Agreed. Lots of people do work, which is why I don't think it's a huge stretch and unthinkable for kids to be in school that day.
February 27, 201412 yr Short of hair splitting, no more people work Memorial Day than would work a standard weekend.
February 28, 201412 yr I say sure. A good day to teach what Memorial Day is all about. Many schools do the same thing on Veterans Day.
February 28, 201412 yr Ashland is not home to a major military installation - obviously. Think Hardin County BOE or Christian County BOE would consider holding school on Memorial Day? Some say the day has no meaning to young people. I bet it does to young people who have lost a father or mother or brother or sister in Afganistan, Iraq or other overseas wars. We continue to be at war to this day and Kentuckians are dying in service every month. The Ashland BOE should very seriously reconsider this action.
February 28, 201412 yr I don't know why they decided to go to school on Memorial Day, but one reason to consider is graduation date. If graduation is already set for a Friday or the weekend, and not going would extend it to Monday would play big in the decision. Many out of town folks could already have made plans to come in and may have air tickets, party places reserved, or whatever. Also some very big HS's have their graduatuion at universities, convention centers, etc., and may be limited on their dates and/or already paid deposits. Those are good reasons IMO. As most will agree, graduation is the most important event in school districts. They obviously have to plan diligently and way in advance and they know that changing dates will cause difficulties for families and the schools. It is the one event that is attended by the vast majority of family members. On the downside of that, if that was their reasoning, it is still early and more days could be missed. Edited February 28, 201412 yr by Bengal Maniac
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.