December 7, 201312 yr We (UK fans) are spoiled. We were dreaming of 40-0. Then thought a loss to Michigan St would send a message....really? It's a young team that has a lot to learn. While it's loaded with 5stars, it isn't the same make up as the championship team. They are likely to lose 3-4 conference games. I see them getting better by tourney time. They have too much talent not to. Welcome to BGP, Iron Mike!
December 7, 201312 yr Counting exhibitions they are 11 games into the season. Poythresss' date=' I don't think, has been sold on the role Cal has for him. Don't know who the leader will be. Can't see it being him or WCS. Someone needs to step up in that role.[/quote'] I don't think this team has one, at least not right now. Polson could be but he has to see the court for that to happen and even then I'm not sure he's a leader in that role.
December 7, 201312 yr Amber Alert has been reinstated for Alex Poythress. :lol2: Don't look for him. Yeah after he got stuffed on that drive when he first came in it was all she wrote for him.
December 7, 201312 yr I don't think this team has one, at least not right now. Polson could be but he has to see the court for that to happen and even then I'm not sure he's a leader in that role. Polson? If he has to be the leader then this team is in more trouble than I thought.....
December 7, 201312 yr With Cal not using the bench combined with the lack of effort by Poythress and the inconsistency of WCS, the Cats can't afford for Andrew Harrison to be this bad on both ends of the floor. They got a long way to go as a team. Poor effort and fight last night. That's what has killed me so far, the effort and intensity. I mean I thought all of these guys were killers who hated to lose, look awfully timid to me thus far (although I think they will eventually shake that the more they get comfortable).
December 7, 201312 yr The better team won, while the Notre Dame of college basket ball once again shows how badly the media over hyped them once again. I agree swing and miss on this one. I like the effort though. Over hyped yes but thanks for the laugh on the comparison.
December 7, 201312 yr It all starts on defense. Im starting to tire of all of Cal's riff-raff, heart monitors, one page Mandela reflections, etc. I want a ultra prepared team ready to get after it defensively and push tempo. Their half court defense has been subpar for a season plus. They are eerily similar to the group from last year. What is the defensive philosphy on screens? No hedge, no trap, no going under and certainly not help and recover. They chase. This team is better defensively in the half court with Hawkins because he can heat up the opposing point guards. Do they keep defensive deflection stats? I would be curious to know what they are. With the length this team has, they have an astonishing low number of steals and they fail to create easy offense. Becoming more frustrated with Cal and his methods on defense.
December 7, 201312 yr I forget who said it. However someone on here said this year's team was further ahead of schedule than any coach cal team in the past. I hope now that poster sees why I disagreed with him lol
December 7, 201312 yr This team will be fine once the young players learn the type of effort required to win consistently in college The one worry I have is that coach cal best two tournament teams here at UK had guys who could shoot consistently outside to stretch the defense. Knight lamb Miller Jones could on the final four team. Then lamb Miller Jones and Kyle could on the championship team plus they had other guys who could also knock it down. The John wall team failed because of lack of shooters, was part of the problem last year too. Teams will keep crowding the lane this year unless the shooting becomes more consistent.
December 7, 201312 yr These guys havent learned yet that they dont need to be the "man" to win games.
December 8, 201312 yr I forget who said it. However someone on here said this year's team was further ahead of schedule than any coach cal team in the past. I hope now that poster sees why I disagreed with him lol I said it and at the time I believed they were without a doubt. They took a step back but will be fine. They took a step back, imo, because Poythress has disappeared again. He is such a disappointment as I think he should be an absolute stud with his size and skill set. He just doesn't have it between the ears. This was a great learning game for UK as Baylor was really the first team to match their size and Baylor's experienced big men took it to them. They will learn and be just fine when it counts.
December 8, 201312 yr Hopefully UK will get at least one win in the NIT in March. That way, we can call this year a success.
December 8, 201312 yr It all starts on defense. Im starting to tire of all of Cal's riff-raff, heart monitors, one page Mandela reflections, etc. I want a ultra prepared team ready to get after it defensively and push tempo. Their half court defense has been subpar for a season plus. They are eerily similar to the group from last year. What is the defensive philosphy on screens? No hedge, no trap, no going under and certainly not help and recover. They chase. This team is better defensively in the half court with Hawkins because he can heat up the opposing point guards. Do they keep defensive deflection stats? I would be curious to know what they are. With the length this team has, they have an astonishing low number of steals and they fail to create easy offense. Becoming more frustrated with Cal and his methods on defense. Cal's teams have typically defended well, not only at UK, but throughout his time coaching. Last year's team didn't defend well, but this one is still learning it's way and I think we'll see improvement in that respect.
December 8, 201312 yr I still think they will be alright, at least in the mix at the end of the season. They may figure out you can't play like an AAU team and win games against even good to average college teams. That and there's still a lot to learn and a lot of bumps to go through which will only help them grow. I think they will be in between the 2011 team and the 2012 team in terms of their growth. What the 2012 team did was special, it's almost impossible for a team to gel like that so quickly. I mean this years team received more practice time and has more talent but they are still a little off what the 2012 team was doing, with no harm in that. If you remember the 2011 team had people ready to pull their hair out but eventually they picked it up and got hot at the right time (which is really what its all about). So I see this team in between those two, probably won't have as many bumps as the 2011 team but certainly not on the pace with 2012. I feel confident they will be playing well at the end no matter how many loses they end up with.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.