Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Stats 1's vs 4's - Interesting!

Featured Replies

A lot of talk about 4 teams making the playoffs, watered down vs "let them all play". Just some stats.

 

If I counted right...47 1vs4 games tonight...94 teams.

 

Two 4's beat the 1's:

Manual beat Ballard to death (which really isn't an upset when your 4 seed is in the top 8 of the state!)

 

Dunbar beat Tates Creek (a 5-4 one seed taking on a 5-5 4 seed. Both teams played earlier in the year with TC winning 21-20) Not really your typical 1vs4 scenario. More of a weak number 1 from a weak district)

 

Results:

2 upsets (if you count Manual) 4% of the games were upsets.

2 teams pulled off upsets (if you count Manual) 2% of the team pulled off upsets

1 seeds averaged 49 pts

4 seeds averaged 13 pts

Average margin of vicory was 35 (5 touchdowns!)

 

That's even considering that I'm sure many starters in many of the blowouts played very limited time in the second halves of the blowouts and I'm sure several scores for the losing teams came late in the games against reserves. If you take the Manual game out of the equation (41-0) because that's not a real representation of a 1vs4 game, the stats get even a little worse.

 

Results:

1 seeds averaged 50 pts

4 seeds averaged 12 pts

average margin of vicory was 37 (5 touchdowns!)

 

Thoughts?

  • Replies 96
  • Views 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the running clock kept those margins from growing.

Was Manual the 4 seed in that district? No matter. Whoever the 4 seed was in that district, they won. That seems a little low for 4 seed wins. I would expect 4, and maybe 6, #4 seeds to win each year. But that is just a guess.

  • Author
I think the running clock kept those margins from growing.

 

AND, there were a couple games within a couple touchdowns, which brings the average down a little. And you add in the reports of the lack of fans traveling in those games, I just don't get how it's a good thing. Heck it sounded like half the opposing teams parents didn't even go the the SK and Dixie games. I'm sure it was sparce at the HHS game as well. I've been to almost every game and didn't even think about going up to watch this one.

  • Author
Was Manual the 4 seed in that district? No matter. Whoever the 4 seed was in that district, they won. That seems a little low for 4 seed wins. I would expect 4, and maybe 6, #4 seeds to win each year. But that is just a guess.

 

That's it. I got every score from all the games tonight. Manual and Dunbar were it. And I really don't consider either one of those an upset to be honest. Cooper was the next closest with a 10 point loss and then I think there were two other game at like 14 or so. The rest were blowouts.

AND, there were a couple games within a couple touchdowns, which brings the average down a little. And you add in the reports of the lack of fans traveling in those games, I just don't get how it's a good thing. Heck it sounded like half the opposing teams parents didn't even go the the SK and Dixie games. I'm sure it was sparce at the HHS game as well. I've been to almost every game and didn't even think about going up to watch this one.

 

I know we have gone back and forth on this. Once again, my opinion is very simple. Treat football the same as the other sports. When they stop letting everyone into the baseball, basketball, track, etc. sports, then I am ok with them not letting as many teams into football. I have seen post season baseball games with 20-0 scores, basketball games with 100-20 scores etc.

  • Author
I know we have gone back and forth on this. Once again, my opinion is very simple. Treat football the same as the other sports. When they stop letting everyone into the baseball, basketball, track, etc. sports, then I am ok with them not letting as many teams into football. I have seen post season baseball games with 20-0 scores, basketball games with 100-20 scores etc.

 

You've seen those scores in the state tournament? Maybe in districts, but not the state tournament.

You've seen those scores in the state tournament? Maybe in districts, but not the state tournament.

 

And that is where we have the big difference of opinion. These first round games are just like district tournaments games in basketball IMO. They are both the first post season games in their sport. The regular season district games in football are regular season games.

  • Author
And that is where we have the big difference of opinion. These first round games are just like district tournaments games in basketball IMO. They are both the first post season games in their sport. The regular season district games in football are regular season games.

 

Right. This is where we disagree. Those "regular season district games" do eliminate teams and are the district tournament (even though its played in season), they are still district eliminators. Same as bball. Dont want to go there again because we can just keep refering each other to the other thread!

Right. This is where we disagree. Those "regular season district games" do eliminate teams and are the district tournament (even though its played in season), they are still district eliminators. Same as bball. Dont want to go there again because we can just keep refering each other to the other thread!

 

Yes, just like basketball regular season district games seed the teams for the post season. The only difference is only 4 football teams (with a couple exceptions) qualify in football. Just because fewer teams qualify for the post season doesn't make those regular season games part of the post season tournament. They aren't. I draw a hard line between post season and regular season, even though some football teams don't make the post season. You say the regular season games are part of the post season because some football teams don't qualify for the post season.

 

Sorry, some people may not have read the other thread so I wanted to get that in here. I won't reply to your quotes further because we know where each other stand and we just look at this differently.

Four teams per district making the playoffs is a joke. No other way to say it.

Four teams per district making the playoffs is a joke. No other way to say it.

 

How do you feel about all the teams getting into the playoffs in all the other sports?

It was terrible tonight in Princeton. 35-0 at the end of the 1st quarter in 39 degree weather. Hancock County in really down this year. Our jv was having success on them, and they couldn't substitute, because they only had 23 kids on the team. They got a descent gate($$$) because a lot of people would come out to see the local boys take on anybody at $5 a head, and split the gate. No other reason to even play the game.

How do you feel about all the teams getting into the playoffs in all the other sports?

 

I saw start the playoffs the same way...Have a District Tournament with the top 4 and have the District champs advance on. I think they used to do it this way, not sure why they changed.

U

I know we have gone back and forth on this. Once again, my opinion is very simple. Treat football the same as the other sports. When they stop letting everyone into the baseball, basketball, track, etc. sports, then I am ok with them not letting as many teams into football. I have seen post season baseball games with 20-0 scores, basketball games with 100-20 scores etc.

 

Except you are well aware no other sport is treated like football (not only classss but twice as many classes as any ther sport, spring practice, etc). Football by its nature isn't like any other sport. I love football - I hate this playoff structure.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.