Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

UK/UTEP to play on MLK Day in 2016

Featured Replies

Per Matt Jones.

 

Will be the 50th Anniversary of the 1966 NCAA title game. Jones says the game could be played in College Park, Maryland where the '66 game was played.

Great. That gives a full week of open season to call the state of Kentucky racists.

Play somebody. :D

  • Author

Jeff Eisenberg @JeffEisenberg

UTEP official: Discussions with Kentucky have taken place about a rematch of the 1966 national title game in 2016 but no agreement yet.

Actually it was UTEP head coach Tim Floyd who stated this in a press conference this afternoon.

 

@dhuntabc7 UTEP coach Tim Floyd just announced Miners will play Kentucky in rematch of 66 game in 2016 possibly at Maryland on MLK Day

@dhuntabc7 Coach Floyd said he and Coach Calipari at Kentucky are working out the particulars but the game would be played during 50th anniversary year

Per Matt Jones.

 

Will be the 50th Anniversary of the 1966 NCAA title game. Jones says the game could be played in College Park, Maryland where the '66 game was played.

That loss still hurts me to think about. I was 11 years old and when it was over I left the living room and went into our kitchen because I didn't want my mom, dad, and brothers /sisters seeing me cry. It's been almost 50 years but the memories are still vivid.

Great. That gives a full week of open season to call the state of Kentucky racists.

 

Kentucky beat (an all White) Duke 83-79 in the Final Four to make the Finals...if Duke had won that game instead of UK, would all of the racist stigma be on Duke instead of UK?

If they are going to play in Maryland then they should start dusting Cole Fieldhouse.

Kentucky beat (an all White) Duke 83-79 in the Final Four to make the Finals...if Duke had won that game instead of UK, would all of the racist stigma be on Duke instead of UK?

 

I'd say no.

That loss still hurts me to think about. I was 11 years old and when it was over I left the living room and went into our kitchen because I didn't want my mom, dad, and brothers /sisters seeing me cry. It's been almost 50 years but the memories are still vivid.

 

My dad said he won't watch this game if they get it scheduled...stubborn old man haha!

 

I don't remember the name of the player he mentioned last night, but he was discussing the guy who had 103+ degree fever and who could only play a few minutes at a time. Had he been healthy, we wouldn't even be discussing this game, and Josh Lucas wouldn't have starred in a movie about it.

Kentucky beat (an all White) Duke 83-79 in the Final Four to make the Finals...if Duke had won that game instead of UK, would all of the racist stigma be on Duke instead of UK?

I am not sure of the demographics but I would say a bulk of teams had only white players. To answer your question, the stigma would not be as strong, but you bet it would have been thrown on to Duke. That is too good of media story to pass up. The UK angle was just heightened because of Rupp and the state itself seen as being full of racist rednecks.

My dad said he won't watch this game if they get it scheduled...stubborn old man haha!

 

I don't remember the name of the player he mentioned last night, but he was discussing the guy who had 103+ degree fever and who could only play a few minutes at a time. Had he been healthy, we wouldn't even be discussing this game, and Josh Lucas wouldn't have starred in a movie about it.

I think the team had a bug running through it.

My dad said he won't watch this game if they get it scheduled...stubborn old man haha!

 

I don't remember the name of the player he mentioned last night, but he was discussing the guy who had 103+ degree fever and who could only play a few minutes at a time. Had he been healthy, we wouldn't even be discussing this game, and Josh Lucas wouldn't have starred in a movie about it.

 

Larry Conley had the flu. Others were getting over strept from the week before in Iowa when the Cats played Michigan and Cazzie Russell in the Regionals.

 

Texas Western was just the better team that night. I've watched the footage. (I think most of the game is in segments on YouTube) UK did not shoot well at all and the Miners lived at the FT stripe.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.