February 13, 200620 yr Author My question is what is wrong with seperate tournaments? It seems the privates hate the thought of competing with only the privates. Look to some other states for ideas on how this issue is resolved. That is why i like this idea. The privates will only play private schools in the post season until the semifinals of the sweet 16. Under this plan it is only possible for a private school to eliminate one public school from post season play. I think the pro private people keep talking about championships won. And how public schools have won their fair share of state titles. What they fail to understand that the hard feelings occur when a public school is eliminated by a private school on the district and regional level. This format would eliminate those hard feelings because all 12 public regional winners would play only against other public schools.
February 13, 200620 yr I started a thread on the very same thing....with no answers... We have all the talent, all the money, blah, blah, blah, and whatever other excuse that you can thing of....that's why we win in football....if so those same excuses would make us basketball powerhouses as well.... My feeling on this issue has nothing to do with the public/private debate. The reason that you do not see the same thing in bball vs. football is because bball is less predicated on large numbers. More likely that you will find 5 out of 200 than 22 out of 200. The flip side to the argument is that a larger school "should" be able to find a "better" 5 because they have a larger pool of players to choose from. I think this would be the case if you were fielding multiple teams, where the difference in the second 5 or third 5 would probably be better than the second or third 5 at the school with 200. Could go into some statistical analysis (law of large numbers theory, etc) but that would bore everyone to tears. I think this is the reason that some of the smaller schools are able to compete with the big schools. Although the larger schools have won more titles in the recent past, there have still been some very good teams from the smaller schools.
February 13, 200620 yr That is why i like this idea. The privates will only play private schools in the post season until the semifinals of the sweet 16. Under this plan it is only possible for a private school to eliminate one public school from post season play. I think the pro private people keep talking about championships won. And how public schools have won their fair share of state titles. What they fail to understand that the hard feelings occur when a public school is eliminated by a private school on the district and regional level. This format would eliminate those hard feelings because all 12 public regional winners would play only against other public schools. I'm confused...privates understand this very well...especially in basketball.
February 13, 200620 yr That is why i like this idea. The privates will only play private schools in the post season until the semifinals of the sweet 16. Under this plan it is only possible for a private school to eliminate one public school from post season play. I think the pro private people keep talking about championships won. And how public schools have won their fair share of state titles. What they fail to understand that the hard feelings occur when a public school is eliminated by a private school on the district and regional level. This format would eliminate those hard feelings because all 12 public regional winners would play only against other public schools. What would eliminate those hard feelings if public schools lost on the state level? And im sure they would complain the privates have an easier road to the sweet 16. Lex Cath would bypass all of the 11th region big dawgs and have to play teams like LCA or others for a chance at the sweet 16. Owensboro Catholic would be in a regional tournament with who?
February 13, 200620 yr What would eliminate those hard feelings if public schools lost on the state level? And im sure they would complain the privates have an easier road to the sweet 16. Lex Cath would bypass all of the 11th region big dawgs and have to play teams like LCA or others for a chance at the sweet 16. Owensboro Catholic would be in a regional tournament with who? Same scenario for Trinity & X. They'd by-pass Male, PRP, Manual, J-Town, Ballard, Eastern.....
February 13, 200620 yr Author Tony, from what i have read most of the talk has been about state championships, and hasn't been about schools getting beat on the district and region levels. That is why I made that comment. UndertheBridge, I dont know the exact numbers but lets say last year 50 public teams were eliminated by private teams. If they went to this plan there would be 1 public team elimated or maybe no public teams eliminated by private institutions. Thats 49 or 50 public teams not screamming for total separation. If 25% of schools that play basketball are private then under this format 25% of the teams in the first 3 rounds of the state tournament will be private. As far as O cath being in a region with who , I dont know, the KHSAA would have to divide the Private schools into 4 equal regions. Some schools may have to travel long distances in their region. As far as what will keep public schools from complaining on the state level is that no private school will eliminate a public school from making it to the state tournament. I only suggested this because a compromise needs to be made. Some say leave things as they are but that is not what most of the delegates wanted. Some say a total split is needed but this is not what the Board of directors or private schools want. So I thought this venue would be a good compromise in that they are split up to a certain point and it still keeps the sweet 16 atmosphere and one champion.
February 13, 200620 yr Tony, from what i have read most of the talk has been about state championships, and hasn't been about schools getting beat on the district and region levels. That is why I made that comment. UndertheBridge, I dont know the exact numbers but lets say last year 50 public teams were eliminated by private teams. If they went to this plan there would be 1 public team elimated or maybe no public teams eliminated by private institutions. Thats 49 or 50 public teams not screamming for total separation. If 25% of schools that play basketball are private then under this format 25% of the teams in the first 3 rounds of the state tournament will be private. As far as O cath being in a region with who , I dont know, the KHSAA would have to divide the Private schools into 4 equal regions. Some schools may have to travel long distances in their region. As far as what will keep public schools from complaining on the state level is that no private school will eliminate a public school from making it to the state tournament. I only suggested this because a compromise needs to be made. Some say leave things as they are but that is not what most of the delegates wanted. Some say a total split is needed but this is not what the Board of directors or private schools want. So I thought this venue would be a good compromise in that they are split up to a certain point and it still keeps the sweet 16 atmosphere and one champion. I think the problem is that for some districts, the private schools are not the threats to the public schools that they are in others...especially with respect to the bigger schools. Trinity made it to the Sweet Sixteen once in 50 years...I don't have a clue how long it's been for St. X, but it's been quite a while. Louisville has a plethora of great basketball programs in the public schools. In this district, when you have J-Town/Ballard/Fern Creek/Eastern all playing each other for the chance to go, and then you have Trinity/X, etc playing in a separte play-ins, and a private school virtually assured a shot every year, it would hurt even worse IMO. As it is, we (private schools in this area) rarely win the district/region. I know it'd different other places. I'm just trying to show why this wouldn't really help anything for some of the larger districts.
February 13, 200620 yr It has nothing to do with the 14,15,16 or 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13. It has to do with a level playing field for the kids from all regions. Even these horrible, mountain kids should get a fair level of comp. The privates have a distinctive advantadge. Do your research. I assume the bold print is good mountain english!! I know a lot more about private schools than you, I don't need my research. Quit complaining and get better! Only maybe a handful of private schools take advantage of the situation.
February 15, 200620 yr I know a lot more about private schools than you, I don't need my research. Quit complaining and get better! Only maybe a handful of private schools take advantage of the situation. typical answer from the private sector (I know more than you do) it is that attitude that makes this argument enjoyable. The Parish in NKY is 12000 students strong with a single superintendant. He can direct that talent in any direction he chooses without school boundries like the publics have. Research the funding for privates and publics see what you find. The better sports programs have the higher tuitions, and are there hardship or school paid tuitions for privates. I am not sure the answer to the last question but I have heard of school assisted tuition to garner better athletes. The privates keep some of thier financial information private, which I believe it is thier right to. But you can't operate without state oversight or as some say in your business and then participate in all the state tournaments. Either full disclosure or play your own tournaments. I will continue to lobby my legislatures for seperation just as others states have done.
February 16, 200620 yr typical answer from the private sector (I know more than you do) it is that attitude that makes this argument enjoyable. The Parish in NKY is 12000 students strong with a single superintendant. He can direct that talent in any direction he chooses without school boundries like the publics have. Research the funding for privates and publics see what you find. The better sports programs have the higher tuitions, and are there hardship or school paid tuitions for privates. I am not sure the answer to the last question but I have heard of school assisted tuition to garner better athletes. The privates keep some of thier financial information private, which I believe it is thier right to. But you can't operate without state oversight or as some say in your business and then participate in all the state tournaments. Either full disclosure or play your own tournaments. I will continue to lobby my legislatures for seperation just as others states have done. :thumb: Excellent post..
February 16, 200620 yr :laugh: typical answer from the private sector (I know more than you do) it is that attitude that makes this argument enjoyable. The Parish in NKY is 12000 students strong with a single superintendant. He can direct that talent in any direction he chooses without school boundries like the publics have. Research the funding for privates and publics see what you find. The better sports programs have the higher tuitions, and are there hardship or school paid tuitions for privates. I am not sure the answer to the last question but I have heard of school assisted tuition to garner better athletes. The privates keep some of thier financial information private, which I believe it is thier right to. But you can't operate without state oversight or as some say in your business and then participate in all the state tournaments. Either full disclosure or play your own tournaments. I will continue to lobby my legislatures for seperation just as others states have done. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
February 16, 200620 yr The privates keep some of thier financial information private, which I believe it is thier right to. But you can't operate without state oversight or as some say in your business and then participate in all the state tournaments. Exactely what is not being disclosed that is of issue? All atheletes recieving financial aid already most go through KHSAA approved clearinghouses for review and approval. While schools dont publish financials like public companys, its not hard to find out their source and outlay of monies. Its not a tightly held secret. If the practice of blatently incenting atheletes with financial aid is so rampant it should be very easy to produce a former student and/or their parents to go on the record and say 'this school paid us to go there'. Until that happens then these claims of rule breaking financial backing are just baseless, reckless, inaccurate and immature accusations.
February 16, 200620 yr So Sayre School in Lexington should have won 3A football this year, right. Thier tuition is at least twice that of Lexington Catholic, maybe three times as much.
February 16, 200620 yr The better sports programs have the higher tuitions Louisville Collegiate School and Kentucky Country Day are the highest priced private schools in Louisville. Last time I checked neither could be described as an atheltic juggernaut. Kind of blows your theory doesn't it?
February 16, 200620 yr Louisville Collegiate School and Kentucky Country Day are the highest priced private schools in Louisville. Last time I checked neither could be described as an atheltic juggernaut. Kind of blows your theory doesn't it? Field Hockey doesn't count?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.