Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Public vs. Private Basketball solution

Featured Replies

When public schools stop allowing open enrollment from out of district

student and student/athletes.Then I would think the argument of

unfair advantage the public schools complain about would have

more merit.As it stands now only a limited number of public high schools

do not allow it,3 in NKY.

I agree completely as I stated in my post#46.

And if they do accept students outside their districts make them pay tuition.

  • Replies 94
  • Views 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree completely as I stated in my post#46.

And if they do accept students outside their districts make them pay tuition.

 

 

When public schools stop allowing open enrollment from out of district

student and student/athletes.Then I would think the argument of

unfair advantage the public schools complain about would have

more merit.As it stands now only a limited number of public high schools

do not allow it,3 in NKY.

 

 

Just curious, are you talking about Boone County? And if you are, when will Boone County stop allowing their employees to do something the general public can't do, and that is to allow the employees children to move to different schools out of their district in the county to a different school in the county (example live in Conners district but allow the employees child to attend Boone, or Ryle). It hapens all the time, and for reason other than education, and convience......

Just curious, are you talking about Boone County? And if you are, when will Boone County stop allowing their employees to do something the general public can't do, and that is to allow the employees children to move to different schools out of their district in the county to a different school in the county (example live in Conners district but allow the employees child to attend Boone, or Ryle). It hapens all the time, and for reason other than education, and convience......

I was not talking of Boone County (not my area of the state).

It happens everywhere.

In my region the same schools which say the privates have such an advantage have literally a hundred students outside their districts going there and not paying tuition.

Now I ask you ---whats the difference between those and a private. Actually the privates in those situations are at a disadvantage because their kids must PAY to come to their school.

I was not talking of Boone County (not my area of the state).

It happens everywhere.

In my region the same schools which say the privates have such an advantage have literally a hundred students outside their districts going there and not paying tuition.

Now I ask you ---whats the difference between those and a private. Actually the privates in those situations are at a disadvantage because their kids must PAY to come to their school.

 

None at all...You know that, I know that, and so does the School Systems that allow it to happen.

None at all...You know that, I know that, and so does the School Systems that allow it to happen.

This is the one area that most of the publics either are

1) silent on --

2) deny it exists

Im not aware of anything in the compromises that deal with this issue significantly.

So want you want then is seperate but equal?

See the Texas solution!!!!

You are right I do not care how you spend your money time and energy at the private school sector and it is none of my business. I just want to let the privates do whatever they want and the publics do the same. If then we all go by the same rules and enforcements including state mandates that cost public schools a ton of money on what I believe are wasteful and non productive programs. I believe the privates do a much better job than the publics in the administration of thier systems. You either manage the same way or go seperate ways. In Texas the privates do just fine without competing with the publics. I support your way of education and admire the way your students compete in acedemics and athletics. You are not in the same situation as the publics. And the question I have never got an answer to is why not play just the privates, why is that such a bad idea if you have nothing to fear why not.

See the Texas solution!!!!

You are right I do not care how you spend your money time and energy at the private school sector and it is none of my business. I just want to let the privates do whatever they want and the publics do the same. If then we all go by the same rules and enforcements including state mandates that cost public schools a ton of money on what I believe are wasteful and non productive programs. I believe the privates do a much better job than the publics in the administration of thier systems. You either manage the same way or go seperate ways. In Texas the privates do just fine without competing with the publics. I support your way of education and admire the way your students compete in acedemics and athletics. You are not in the same situation as the publics. And the question I have never got an answer to is why not play just the privates, why is that such a bad idea if you have nothing to fear why not.

 

 

What rules and enforcements and state mandates do you speak of? Which are wasteful and non productive programs. These are serious questions, because I don't understand the public school sid of this issue...

 

I don't understand, either, the last question...why not play just the privates....and the part about fear.... :confused:

As a Catholic School Parent and admittedly a supporter of Catholic schools, I see from the posters on this thread from the other side wanting, IMHO:

 

1. Complete and total separation and nothing else.....

 

2. To hopefully shut down, or to at least reduce the enrollment at the private schools. If you reduce competition, you reduce high expectation on the administration, teachers, coaches and students at the public schools, and I am not just talking about sports…..

 

3. $$$$$$$$$$$$$ major $$$$$$$$$$$$

 

4. And you didn't ask, but soon they will be after the open enrollment counties of the Commonwealth and then the Independent schools too. See I really don't think this a totally private/public debate but a rural/urban one......

 

And I agree with my friend BIGZIG "I have found that my friends on the private/parochial school side of this issue to be some of the most informative and knowledagable posters on BGP's on most issues and enjoy their post even when I don't agree. There is one exception and it's this tiresome debate."

 

Be careful my friend your beloved Ludlow will soon be on the choppin block too......mark my word......I think the Beechwood and Highlands parents understand this more than you.......

As far as your #2. I could care less how many students attend private school if we were seperated. your paranoia is being exposed. Why would anyone want to shut down private schools. I firmly believe in everyones right to educate thier kids how they see fit. I am a big supporter of the voucher system which will dramatically help privates. So don't assume to know what others are thinking and thier motives. I do see that alot from the privates.

See the Texas solution!!!!

You are right I do not care how you spend your money time and energy at the private school sector and it is none of my business. I just want to let the privates do whatever they want and the publics do the same. If then we all go by the same rules and enforcements including state mandates that cost public schools a ton of money on what I believe are wasteful and non productive programs. I believe the privates do a much better job than the publics in the administration of thier systems. You either manage the same way or go seperate ways. In Texas the privates do just fine without competing with the publics. I support your way of education and admire the way your students compete in acedemics and athletics. You are not in the same situation as the publics. And the question I have never got an answer to is why not play just the privates, why is that such a bad idea if you have nothing to fear why not.

That's easy when you have hundreds of schools and can have adequate divisions. Kentukcy just isn't that big and those privates are scattered to the point that separate competition would eliminate competition.

Please, anyone, can you answer these questions for me?

 

Can anyone define the situation in which the public schools will be completely satisfied with the future of KHSAA sports?

 

 

Exactly what do the supporters of a split expect such action to accomplish?

 

What is the point of playing the private schools in the regular season, if there will be no effect on the post season?

 

 

It would do a LOT to help me understand the other side of this issue.

What rules and enforcements and state mandates do you speak of? Which are wasteful and non productive programs. These are serious questions, because I don't understand the public school sid of this issue...

 

I don't understand, either, the last question...why not play just the privates....and the part about fear.... :confused:

There is not enough room on this forum for those answers but I will point in the right direction to do some research. Schools must spend tons of dollars on seperate programs such as alternative schools for at risk kids. Our distrct has 1 principal and 3 teachers for this program that do nothing else but administrate and teach. Our average enrollment is 5.5 students. We had to build a seperate school building for this program. /the money spent at the B?OE on state compliance is crazy. It is the bureacracy that is our problem and we are not asking the privates to share in this mess. There are many other programs like the alternative school program that tie up our assets both personnel and financial. So what is the objection to playing a private school tournament. I do not how to be any simple than that.

Please, anyone, can you answer these questions for me?

 

Can anyone define the situation in which the public schools will be completely satisfied with the future of KHSAA sports?

 

 

Exactly what do the supporters of a split expect such action to accomplish?

 

What is the point of playing the private schools in the regular season, if there will be no effect on the post season?

 

 

It would do a LOT to help me understand the other side of this issue.

I can only speak for myself

1. I will satisfied with either completely the same rules and regulatios and admistrativly operated the same or complete seperation. The Texas method is a close idea

2. LEVEL PLAYING FIELDS

3. none, never have said there is a point. But it leaves it up to everyone to decide for themselves.

There is not enough room on this forum for those answers but I will point in the right direction to do some research. Schools must spend tons of dollars on seperate programs such as alternative schools for at risk kids. Our distrct has 1 principal and 3 teachers for this program that do nothing else but administrate and teach. Our average enrollment is 5.5 students. We had to build a seperate school building for this program. /the money spent at the B?OE on state compliance is crazy. It is the bureacracy that is our problem and we are not asking the privates to share in this mess. There are many other programs like the alternative school program that tie up our assets both personnel and financial. So what is the objection to playing a private school tournament. I do not how to be any simple than that.

 

 

Oh...I thought you were referring to sports related money issues. Understand now. But, I'm not sure how this relates to the public/private issue...

 

The objection to playing a private school tournament would depend upon the sport you are speaking of.

 

If you're talking about basketball, there probably could be a good argument made to do so, because nearly every school offers basketball, and the size of the school seems to have little impact upon the success of it's basketball program.

 

But the issue is this....ALL sports would be split. Then you run into the issue of Trinity or X versus Holy Cross or O Cath, which is NOT fair....in football, the size of the school has more of an impact on the success of it's teams. I don't know as much about other sports, such as soccer, track, etc...but I suspect there will be more cons than pros to separating.

You like the Texas system so much I have a solution for you.

 

Move to Texas.

Oh...I thought you were referring to sports related money issues. Understand now. But, I'm not sure how this relates to the public/private issue...

 

The objection to playing a private school tournament would depend upon the sport you are speaking of.

 

If you're talking about basketball, there probably could be a good argument made to do so, because nearly every school offers basketball, and the size of the school seems to have little impact upon the success of it's basketball program.

 

But the issue is this....ALL sports would be split. Then you run into the issue of Trinity or X versus Holy Cross or O Cath, which is NOT fair....in football, the size of the school has more of an impact on the success of it's teams. I don't know as much about other sports, such as soccer, track, etc...but I suspect there will be more cons than pros to separating.

If all our money goes to other requirements it doesn't leave much for athletics

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.