February 16, 200620 yr Not KHSAA sanctioned and therefore not subject to any discussions regarding potential KHSAA changes :sssh:
February 17, 200620 yr typical answer from the private sector (I know more than you do) it is that attitude that makes this argument enjoyable. The Parish in NKY is 12000 students strong with a single superintendant. He can direct that talent in any direction he chooses without school boundries like the publics have. Research the funding for privates and publics see what you find. The better sports programs have the higher tuitions, and are there hardship or school paid tuitions for privates. I am not sure the answer to the last question but I have heard of school assisted tuition to garner better athletes. The privates keep some of thier financial information private, which I believe it is thier right to. But you can't operate without state oversight or as some say in your business and then participate in all the state tournaments. Either full disclosure or play your own tournaments. I will continue to lobby my legislatures for seperation just as others states have done.First of all it is called The Diocese of Covington ,secondly if you think that the Superintedent of schools for the Diocese directs athletic talent to certain schools well take your accusations to the Bishop,the Khsaa ,the newspapers ,the legislature etc. . To paparaphrase President Clinton "Its the parents stupid " that decide where their children will attend high school .
February 17, 200620 yr Not KHSAA sanctioned and therefore not subject to any discussions regarding potential KHSAA changes :sssh: I know...I was joking.... I guess no one values Field Hockey like private schools...I'd have used lacrosse, but....
February 17, 200620 yr I know...I was joking.... I guess no one values Field Hockey like private schools...I'd have used lacrosse, but.... Let's follow this thought process. Give my kids sticks and tell them to go out an hit a hard ball, swinging out other kids legs. I think I will pass on it.
February 17, 200620 yr Let's follow this thought process. Give my kids sticks and tell them to go out an hit a hard ball, swinging out other kids legs. I think I will pass on it. In the spirit of the Public/Private debate here..... IMO, there is a underlying seriousness here, in that many private schools offer sports public schools don't, like field hockey and lacrosse. These are non-revenue sports, per se, yet the schools are able to provide top-notch competitive scheduling, etc. My point here is this: some sports not sanctioned by the KHSAA are actually some of the sports that the T's, X's, etc are placing kids in D1 schools on scholarship! I personally (very personally) know of kids who've gone to D1 colleges on field hockey and lacrosse scholarships. If those sports were to become sanctioned by the KHSAA, and the private schools dominated them, who would be to blame for the disparity in the programs? As a side note, I know that several public schools in Louisville do offer field hockey and lacrosse for their students. It's not as if these sports will remain "private school" sports, IMO.
February 17, 200620 yr Research the funding for privates and publics see what you find. Remember, private schools get no state funding. Some public school sports teams have booster clubs that could be characterized as a beast in thier own right. Will the KHSAA ever look into possible violations done by booster club members?
February 18, 200620 yr typical answer from the private sector (I know more than you do) it is that attitude that makes this argument enjoyable. The Parish in NKY is 12000 students strong with a single superintendant. He can direct that talent in any direction he chooses without school boundries like the publics have. Research the funding for privates and publics see what you find. The better sports programs have the higher tuitions, and are there hardship or school paid tuitions for privates. I am not sure the answer to the last question but I have heard of school assisted tuition to garner better athletes. The privates keep some of thier financial information private, which I believe it is thier right to. But you can't operate without state oversight or as some say in your business and then participate in all the state tournaments. Either full disclosure or play your own tournaments. I will continue to lobby my legislatures for seperation just as others states have done. I do know more about private schools than you do, as you most likely know more about publics than I do... And yes several states do have seperation, but others do not...
February 18, 200620 yr First of all it is called The Diocese of Covington ,secondly if you think that the Superintedent of schools for the Diocese directs athletic talent to certain schools well take your accusations to the Bishop,the Khsaa ,the newspapers ,the legislature etc. . To paparaphrase President Clinton "Its the parents stupid " that decide where their children will attend high school . You are correct on the official title and I apologize if my statement is hurtful in any way. I have done quite a bit of research on the "Diocese of Covington" I have nothing but respect for any parent who wants a better education or athletic experience in school for thier children. But the facts remain it is not a level gound for competition. If a student is directed to a certain school within the Diocese by an official from within the Diocese. THAT IS NOT A RULES VIOLATION. That is the point!!!!!!!!! I personally prefer the Texas solution to this problem. So please look at thier system and find the uneven situations.
February 18, 200620 yr I do know more about private schools than you do, as you most likely know more about publics than I do... And yes several states do have seperation, but others do not... Be careful what you ask for, it may come to pass. I have done research for a group fighting for the seperation of private and public for some time now. There are Diocese,s that I am more familiar with than others. The Lexington group which covers more than Lexington is not one my strongest but the Diocese of Covington I am more informed on.
February 18, 200620 yr Be careful what you ask for, it may come to pass. I have done research for a group fighting for the seperation of private and public for some time now. There are Diocese,s that I am more familiar with than others. The Lexington group which covers more than Lexington is not one my strongest but the Diocese of Covington I am more informed on. If your just want fairness for others then isn't it just as unfair for small independent private schools like June Buchanan and Rose Hill to compete against those schools in the Diocese of Covington. If equality is what you seek then what would you suggest?
February 18, 200620 yr typical answer from the private sector (I know more than you do) it is that attitude that makes this argument enjoyable. The Parish in NKY is 12000 students strong with a single superintendant. He can direct that talent in any direction he chooses without school boundries like the publics have. Research the funding for privates and publics see what you find. The better sports programs have the higher tuitions, and are there hardship or school paid tuitions for privates. I am not sure the answer to the last question but I have heard of school assisted tuition to garner better athletes. The privates keep some of thier financial information private, which I believe it is thier right to. But you can't operate without state oversight or as some say in your business and then participate in all the state tournaments. Either full disclosure or play your own tournaments. I will continue to lobby my legislatures for seperation just as others states have done. You can't really think the Superintendent of the Covington Diocese Schools (Dr. Bowman) or for that mather any Covington Diocese Schools official sits in his/her office and looks at the current students of the grade schools (middle schools) and then decides which High School the kid must go to becasue of sports or for that matter any reason, do you? My child goes to school out of our district, and she/he did not go to one of the feeder schools of that high school, and no she/he doesn’t play sports, but so what if she/he did. She/he decided she/he wanted to attend the high school because she/he wanted to expand her/his horizons farther than our county and her/his group of grade school friends. She/he wanted to be challenged academically and socially (starting out not knowing any other freshmen) figuring that sooner than later she/he would have the same challenges going to college and if she/he had the experience in high school while still living at home, then when she/he went off to college, it wouldn't be as hard. It has worked for her/him, as she/he has done very well on both fronts, and is looking forward to going away to college, without any fear of being all alone, for he/she knows he/she can handle it, as she/he has done it. The Diocese of Covington Did you notice not a word about sports, it's all about getting a Catholic education to most Catholic familes. Of course us Caholics don't let you read the scecet messages hidden inside this letter from our Bishop. See if you could read between the lines like we can, it would tell you that NewCath needs a new QB and HC needs a point guard for the girls team, and oh yes, NDA needs some more good swimmers for their swim team. So Mary Ellen because you are a great point guard for Mary Queen of Heaven and HC needs that point gurard you have to go to school at HC, no matter where you and your parents want you to go :irked:
February 20, 200620 yr You can't really think the Superintendent of the Covington Diocese Schools (Dr. Bowman) or for that mather any Covington Diocese Schools official sits in his/her office and looks at the current students of the grade schools (middle schools) and then decides which High School the kid must go to becasue of sports or for that matter any reason, do you? My child goes to school out of our district, and she/he did not go to one of the feeder schools of that high school, and no she/he doesn’t play sports, but so what if she/he did. She/he decided she/he wanted to attend the high school because she/he wanted to expand her/his horizons farther than our county and her/his group of grade school friends. She/he wanted to be challenged academically and socially (starting out not knowing any other freshmen) figuring that sooner than later she/he would have the same challenges going to college and if she/he had the experience in high school while still living at home, then when she/he went off to college, it wouldn't be as hard. It has worked for her/him, as she/he has done very well on both fronts, and is looking forward to going away to college, without any fear of being all alone, for he/she knows he/she can handle it, as she/he has done it. The Diocese of Covington Did you notice not a word about sports, it's all about getting a Catholic education to most Catholic familes. Of course us Caholics don't let you read the scecet messages hidden inside this letter from our Bishop. See if you could read between the lines like we can, it would tell you that NewCath needs a new QB and HC needs a point guard for the girls team, and oh yes, NDA needs some more good swimmers for their swim team. So Mary Ellen because you are a great point guard for Mary Queen of Heaven and HC needs that point gurard you have to go to school at HC, no matter where you and your parents want you to go :irked: You still don'y get it. I know of no one who doesn,t want every kid to get the best education possible. If you or anyone else can send thier kids to private school that is great. So why do you oppose keeping the school's athletic system seperate. You want this seperation in the educational programs and the financial programs. So do I. I just want a complete seperation. Again you want cake and ice cream and eat it all too. You can't have it both ways.
February 20, 200620 yr You still don'y get it. I know of no one who doesn,t want every kid to get the best education possible. If you or anyone else can send thier kids to private school that is great. So why do you oppose keeping the school's athletic system seperate. You want this seperation in the educational programs and the financial programs. So do I. I just want a complete seperation. Again you want cake and ice cream and eat it all too. You can't have it both ways. So want you want then is seperate but equal?
February 20, 200620 yr You still don'y get it. I know of no one who doesn,t want every kid to get the best education possible. If you or anyone else can send thier kids to private school that is great. So why do you oppose keeping the school's athletic system seperate. You want this seperation in the educational programs and the financial programs. So do I. I just want a complete seperation. Again you want cake and ice cream and eat it all too. You can't have it both ways. Of course they do, that's the way they have had it for so long why would they want to see anything changed that wouldn't work to their advantage. You know bball king you are wasting your time, some of the more faithful private school posters on here have got a new spin for everything you might say and they are relentless in their attempts to wear you down. I have found that my friends on the private/parochial school side of this issue to be some of the most informative and knowledagable posters on BGP's on most issues and enjoy their post even when I don't agree. There is one exception and it's this tiresome debate. This forum has I don't know how many different threads and they all say pretty much the same thing. Something needs to be done but I doubt we will ever come to a conclusion that will make everyone happy.
February 20, 200620 yr Of course they do, that's the way they have had it for so long why would they want to see anything changed that wouldn't work to their advantage. You know bball king you are wasting your time, some of the more faithful private school posters on here have got a new spin for everything you might say and they are relentless in their attempts to wear you down. I have found that my friends on the private/parochial school side of this issue to be some of the most informative and knowledagable posters on BGP's on most issues and enjoy their post even when I don't agree. There is one exception and it's this tiresome debate. This forum has I don't know how many different threads and they all say pretty much the same thing. Something needs to be done but I doubt we will ever come to a conclusion that will make everyone happy. Let me ask a few simple questions: Can anyone define the situation in which the public schools will be completely satisfied with the future of KHSAA sports? Exactly what do the supporters of a split expect such action to accomplish? What is the point of playing the private schools in the regular season, if there will be no effect on the post season?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.