Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Highlands: traditions?

Featured Replies

I'm sure this has been posted before but I was wondering about a couple things the other day and thought I would see if there were any thoughts on this...

 

Not to take anything away from all the success the program has had in the "Dale" era, but when did some of the traditions that I grew up with begin to disappear at Highlands? Such as...

 

Riding bikes to practice and not being allowed to ride in cars during summer practice... I remember the guys from Southgate had to leave their bikes at someone's house while the bridge over 471 was being built.

 

Curfew at 8:29 during the week

 

Burr haircuts... Not a coaches rule but self policed. I remember riding around town prior to practice starting and "taking care" of those not yet on board with the hair style. My mother still hasn't forgiven me for getting mine two days before my senior picture. Those haircuts weren't cool in the 70s and 80s... Unless you played football as a Bird.

 

Keeping your helmet on during the game, whether playing or not...

 

These are just a few I'm sure, but since when did they start to disappear and why?

  • Replies 47
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cannon.

Do the boys still wear ties on Fridays??

 

Biggest tradition for me was the cannon. I really miss that BOOM after every touchdown!

Do the boys still wear ties on Fridays??

 

Biggest tradition for me was the cannon. I really miss that BOOM after every touchdown!

The ties ended in '07. I loved the ties. My youngest to this day still does not know how to tie a tie.

 

I miss the cannon also.

Cheerleaders coming over on Thursday nights and giving the guys a cheer , a kiss , and a small Wheaties box with a saying on it I believe ended when the team size increased and Thursday night practice took over.

 

Thursday night pep rallies in Death Valley with the bon fire.

 

Parades through town before the state games.

 

Pep rallies immediately after a state championship.

 

Rushing the field after a game. Loved this. Probably miss this almost as much as the cannon.

 

These are a few that I remember and loved.

The best new tradition is the kids wearing their jr. football league jersey on Thursday nights. Love it.

 

The worst old tradition was the helmets always being on. Terrible idea in hot weather.

  • Author
The cannon.

 

I agree with the cannon being missed. Dad was on the cannon crew for years with bob schlosser and tony neltner. Tony always had a fresh supply of "cannon oil" in his back pocket for the cold nights. No wonder way the lines on the field were a little wavy after lining the field on Thursday nights.

  • Author
The ties ended in '07. I loved the ties. My youngest to this day still does not know how to tie a tie.

 

I miss the cannon also.

 

Learned how to tie a double Windsor from coach Hicks. He didn't like my "one wrap wonder"

I like the new traditions, like winning state every year. ;)

I like the new traditions, like winning state every year. ;)

 

Didn't they win back then? I thought some of these things changed when Tom Duffy became head coach.

Didn't they win back then? I thought some of these things changed when Tom Duffy became head coach.

 

Sure did.

From what I've been told, I don't think the cannon will be back anytime soon. A great tradition, but in this litigious age, probably too much exposure to liability.

Do the boys still wear ties on Fridays??

 

Biggest tradition for me was the cannon. I really miss that BOOM after every touchdown!

 

I was thinking, why couldn't the cannon sound be "pipped in"? Show a graphic of the cannon going off on the video board with the sound on the PA? I'm sure somebody had to have thought of this.

 

Of course as an opposing player, I hated that damn cannon but understood the tradition.

Sure did.

 

Just not near as frequently as they have during the Mueller years.

I was thinking, why couldn't the cannon sound be "pipped in"? Show a graphic of the cannon going off on the video board with the sound on the PA? I'm sure somebody had to have thought of this.

 

Of course as an opposing player, I hated that damn cannon but understood the tradition.

 

I'd like that a whole lot more than the music so it will probably never happen. Oh well.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.